Polaris ACE Forum banner

Anyone Still Going Sway Less ?

22K views 65 replies 18 participants last post by  glamisace570 
#1 ·
I know it has been awhile since this has been discussed , I just wondered if anyone is still riding WITHOUT the sway bar ?
Or have you found out it rides better with it on and installed it back on ?

Thanks

#2 ·
I see the logic in removing the sway bar - makes the wheels move independently. If I were riding technical stuff all of the time, I would likely try it.

I do think that same effect from removal would be bad on fast and flat driving. I drive about 25 percent on paved roads. I can see the sway bar saving my ass if someone pulled in front of me when I am doing 45 MPH. Might be the difference between a successful evasive maneuver and rolling my Ace.

I know some FJ Cruisers and Jeeps have sway bars that are switchable, either electrically or with a pin. That sounds like a good idea!

Matt B

#5 ·
I removed my rear anti sway right after riding my 900 on its maiden 1st ride as it came from the dealer bone stock. The 2nd ride minus the rear bar was night and day different for the better. It caused the rear to 'pack' and just wouldn't allow it to handle the bumps comfortably. With it on I found the machine to really buck in the bumps. IMHO, for my use its worth the 10 minutes time to remove it. That said, its a simple job to remove it and equally simple to put it back on should your results not be what you want.

I have removed the front just a few days ago, but have not yet tried it out. It will be at least a week before I get that chance as I have my machine apart and I injured my back yesterday and wont be able to work on it for a few days. I will say that removing the front sway bar isn't for the faint of heart. Matter of fact, it was a royal PITA and that's being generous. I think that the front anti sway is the first part into the chassis and then the rest of the machine is built around it. Even removing the steering rack bolts of which 3 were simple, but 1 lock nut was so snug to the front gear box made it almost impossible to get a wrench on it...almost. I had planned on removing those 4 bolts anyway to red locktite them as I have read that they do come loose.

But even with the rack unbolted the only way I could remove the support plate which is the steel plate with the grease fittings in was to cut off 1 end of it(forward ear) so that it could be slid out the opposite way. Using a cut off wheel in my Dremel just barely gets in there without cutting into anything important by mistake. So by that time, I was committed to its removal and would have to buy that mounting plate if I want to put it back. I'm hoping that I will get the same ride comfort upgrade for the front end as I found I got after removing the rear one. I don't ride at high speeds anyway. Trail speed limits here in New England typically top out at 35 on suitable RR bed and fire road trails. Many places are only limited to 25 mph tops. Same goes for the occasional asphalt road connecters, 25 mph tops. At 52 I am no longer the mad man 12 to 22 year old motocrosser that I once was. So I stick to the limits more or less. At high speeds(35+) though, I could see where the front should probably stay in the machine

#7 ·
I have had mine off for 8 months now and as i stated in the sway bar removal thread it works great for me. I have had a few scary moments where I was on two wheels while riding a bad off-camber trail on the edge of a canyon, I think having the bar on in that situation would have reduced the lean angle and been less intense. I have the rear shocks cranked up to the second stiffest setting and it helps with the body roll in fast corners but the best thing to do is slow down in turns. I am going to buy a set of stock ace 900 rear springs and install them on my rear shocks. The 900 springs are rated at 300# and the springs on my 570 are rated at 120#. The 900 springs should help a lot with body roll in turns and still provide a decent ride with-out the sway bar. I will post my results!

#8 ·
Our Ace has the sway bar unhooked and it will remain that way,,, unless someone comes up with a cure for the harsh ride. Is there a cure for the poor ride quality? I see most of the Polaris line of conventional ATVs use this type of setup (struts front/independent rear) and I don't see how they sell em if they ride the same as an Ace. What have they done differently with the conventional ATV that is lacking on the Ace? I'm "invested" in the Ace, and now need to make it comfortable to ride. I'm sold on the configuration, love the concept just hate the ride quality.

#16 ·
Just the stock shocks. The springs give a good 1 inch lift in the front. Two of the 325s have Racer tech 2 inch lift kits but took the one off the Bandit spring one as it lifted the front end up a good 4 inches, too much bind. The racerteck lift alone raises the front up almost 3 inches, fine with stock springs and WE shocks but no better ride than the Bandit springs.

#22 · (Edited)
Right $250 vs $1300 for WE shocks if you are not happy. Put the springs on first. You can always add the shocks later. If you ride faster the shocks may be more worth the extra money. I have done everything possible to get a better ride, the suspension seats and Bandit springs do the most. Also I meant to say 10-25 on the trails

#27 ·
I do some trails with my ACE, but my kids also ride it around the yard. Would it be a bad idea to disconnect my rear sway because of the kids riding it around? I don't want to completely change the feel of it and have one of them put it on it's side.

#30 ·
I sometimes have to chase wild Hogs. I tried without the supports and it got too scary for me.
Sharp corners thru creeks and trees made it too unstable and not as manuverable.
When I made a sharp turn to go thru small areas in heavy tree areas, I felt I was turning over.
When straightening up to prevent turning over, I hit a tree.
Re-installed them.

#33 ·
Got my stock ace 900 rear springs installed on my 570 and tried it out this weekend. I have the rear shocks on the stiffest setting and with the rear sway bar removed it rides and corners great! There is less body roll in the corners with the new springs and the suspension flexes and works great on the rough stuff. The 900 springs are a little shorter than the stock 570 springs but they are dual-rate and they work better than the stock ones did with-out the rear sway bar.

Reactions: letatraining
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.