Videos of ace snow plowing
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Videos of ace snow plowing within the ACE Pictures/Videos forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; Does anyone had a video of them plowing with the ace? I'm looking to buy a plow and wanted to see how it performed....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Videos of ace snow plowing

This user has no status.

Member #

Does anyone had a video of them plowing with the ace? I'm looking to buy a plow and wanted to see how it performed.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I just set my 570 up with the 60" steel plow and Glacier Pro mounts. So far it as performed far better than expected. I love how easy it is to pop the plow off and put back on.
    Last weekend I moved a 2ft tall berm that's been blocking me from getting into the driveway of my property and the 1ft of snow that covered the rest of the drive. The plow and Ace performed very well.

Sorry didn't get any videos. I'll stick the dash cam on next time I do any plowing.

Overall I feel that it was a very worthwhile investment and am expecting years of good service.
    2015 Ace 570 "Big Blue"
    2001 Honda Recon ES 250
    2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X 6-Speed

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have one on my phone i could email you. It pushes way more snow than i thought it could thats for sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

is In the mood to build more ACE
    custom accessories.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AK_Ace15 View Post
    I just set my 570 up with the 60" steel plow and Glacier Pro mounts. So far it as performed far better than expected. I love how easy it is to pop the plow off and put back on.
    Last weekend I moved a 2ft tall berm that's been blocking me from getting into the driveway of my property and the 1ft of snow that covered the rest of the drive. The plow and Ace performed very well.

Sorry didn't get any videos. I'll stick the dash cam on next time I do any plowing.

Overall I feel that it was a very worthwhile investment and am expecting years of good service.
    I would just like to point out that your snow in Fairbanks is usually very light and fluffy. Readers take note that there is a good chance you wont be able to push that much snow in your location. I know in Michigan a large percentage of snow is wet or has layers of wet snow among the pile. I doubt I could move that much snow with the Ace in Michigan.
    AK_Ace15 likes this.
    2014 ACE
    2015 ACE 570
    Plenty of junk in the trunk.

is WTF

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    I would just like to point out that your snow in Fairbanks is usually very light and fluffy. Readers take note that there is a good chance you wont be able to push that much snow in your location. I know in Michigan a large percentage of snow is wet or has layers of wet snow among the pile. I doubt I could move that much snow with the Ace in Michigan.
    YEP a foot of typical New England snow is pushing the capabilities of the 570 and it can do better with chains , the limiting factor with the 570 and pushing snow is there is not enough mass (weight ) of the little ace to get any kind of decent traction .
    Not to mention the plow frame only clears the ground by a few inches and when the plow frame starts to float up in the deep snow the usual result is a stuck ace .
    Which needs to be rescued by a 4wd truck generally .
    Don't get me wrong though , as I use the 570 (60 inch plow)at home to plow and the 325 uses a 52 inch plow that does ok at the camp as long as I don't let the snow accumulate (more than 1 storm)
    when used within their limits they do pretty good ...................a foot of snow down a 400 ft driveway makes them work for a living!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Good point Vinny. We do typically have light fluffy or grainy snow. Plowing 1ft of wet MI snow (I grew up a bit east of Lansing) with the 60in plow would be a pain with the 570.

The snow I was moving had actually been sitting around for over a month, so it had some time to settle and firm up. The berm was pretty solid (~20lb/cubic foot) and took some work to break up. The undisturbed snow behind the berm was probably around 10-12lb/cubic foot. None of it was particularly light snow, but not as dense as a soggy Michigan snow.
    2015 Ace 570 "Big Blue"
    2001 Honda Recon ES 250
    2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X 6-Speed

This user has no status.

Member #
    I would have to think the Ace would do relatively well moving snow IF one is comparing it to another machine of comparable weight, say a garden tractor. Now if your comparing it to a utility tractor or SUV there would be no comparison. I have yet to get a plow for the Ace but have a plow on a smaller lighter Artic Cat ATV. I also have a plow on a formidable garden tractor and a utility tractor. The ATV with a wider blade will easily out push the garden tractor with a narrower blade since it has 4wd and a locked rear axle even though it doesn't weigh as much as the garden tractor and is a lot faster at completing the job. The ATV will Not out push the utility tractor, it is not even comparable with a machine of that weight whatsoever.

I would think one could add some weight and/or have a second set of wheels and filled tires along with chains if traction was an issue. Multiple outings would also solve the issue, don't let it pile up as much till you go out and plow. If your consistently getting 12"+ a storm a blower would likely be a tool of choice over a blade just to get rid of the volume.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by js5020 View Post
    I would have to think the Ace would do relatively well moving snow IF one is comparing it to another machine of comparable weight, say a garden tractor. Now if your comparing it to a utility tractor or SUV there would be no comparison. I have yet to get a plow for the Ace but have a plow on a smaller lighter Artic Cat ATV. I also have a plow on a formidable garden tractor and a utility tractor. The ATV with a wider blade will easily out push the garden tractor with a narrower blade since it has 4wd and a locked rear axle even though it doesn't weigh as much as the garden tractor and is a lot faster at completing the job. The ATV will Not out push the utility tractor, it is not even comparable with a machine of that weight whatsoever.

I would think one could add some weight and/or have a second set of wheels and filled tires along with chains if traction was an issue. Multiple outings would also solve the issue, don't let it pile up as much till you go out and plow. If your consistently getting 12"+ a storm a blower would likely be a tool of choice over a blade just to get rid of the volume.
    A blower you say? Like this one? Lol
    AK_Ace15 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrossiar View Post
    A blower you say? Like this one? Lol
    LoL,,,,, well almost. The concept is there but I think its lacking as far as actually working. I was thinking more on a 48" blower with wings to extend the gathering area to 52 or 54 inches with a 16hp engine, all electric controls to spin the chute and position the deflector,,, oh and minimum blowing distance of 20ft.

is If I'm not out on the ACE, I
    wanna be...

Member #
    Snow is a very interesting thing. If you haven't listened to a meteorologist making a presentation with videos on how snow flakes form, you have missed out! I won't belabor that point at all. We experienced a little snow this year, 13" of a mixture. Started as light fluffy stuff, then changed to some white ice pellets for a few hours, then a little sleet mixed in, and finally to a heavy wet snow to top everything off. I purchased the Polaris 66" Glacier Poly Plow and quick attach/detach mount, and got to use it last year to learn a bit about it.

This plow is wonderful in what it was designed for , but definitely is not as heavy duty as what you would find that would fit on a pickup truck, nor was it intended to be. Will it successfully plow fresh fallen snow? Most assuredly! Will it plow heavy wet snow? Not as easily, but if you angle the blade and don't try to plow the very deep stuff, it will do it. Will it plow a berm of already plowed snow? NO. And I would not want to subject the machine or the blade frame to that much abuse! Something will end up being bent, or getting broken, and somebody won't be happy. The same could be said for a snow blower trying to process large gravel and rocks! It's not meant to do that!

I learned from operating my Bobcat that when you are pushing snow into a snow bank where you previously plowed some snow, don't try to push the old snow by pushing it with the new snow. It takes too much power to do that! And the blade and frame are not intended to handle that pressure. The best way to allow the machine to work with that snow bank and add some more snow to it is to be ready to lift up the blade when the new snow contacts the old snow and help it to push it over top of the old base. Just be careful not to pull your winch hook back too far onto the fairlead. I ruined a rubber cable stop last year in my exuberance for raising the plow to force the snow over the pile. Thank goodness I had one installed, or I might have had to replace the fairlead and/or cable....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links