Post up your budget mods here!
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Post up your budget mods here! within the ACE Builds forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; The "budget mods" thread was really popular over on RZRForums.net, so I figure I'll start one up here. My first contribution: Polaris lock and ride ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Post up your budget mods here!

Supporting Member
    is looking forward to the next
    ride.

Member #

The "budget mods" thread was really popular over on RZRForums.net, so I figure I'll start one up here.

My first contribution:
    Polaris lock and ride cargo box for $250? NO THANKS.
    Plano locking sportsman's trunk for $25? Yeah, that'll work.

The box is bolted to the engine access panel in the bed.
    The front of the access panel has big plastic tabs.
    The back is held down by plastic pegs into rubber grommets, and I didn't trust it to stay put so I added a couple of lag screws.

Name:  Trunk1.JPG
Views: 4182
Size:  567.2 KBName:  Trunk3.JPG
Views: 4342
Size:  588.1 KBName:  Trunk2.JPG
Views: 4638
Size:  836.5 KB
    4Nines and Idahopilgrim like this.
    ------------------
    I sold my ACE and am no longer a moderator on this forum. In fact I'm not participating on this forum at all. Sending me questions about my previous signatures is not likely to generate a response. But if you ask your question to the forum publicly, I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    Keep the rubber side down!
    -=-=-=-
    Check out my UTV Guide to Washington State at http://www.utvadventuresllc.com!
    -=-=-=-

Supporting Member
    ride.

Member #

A little extra horn action

I may not be the first guy in my neck of the woods with an ACE, but I bet my ACE is the first one with an OOOOGA horn.

Name:  ACEHorn1.JPG
Views: 3255
Size:  238.2 KBName:  ACEHorn2.JPG
Views: 3567
Size:  306.6 KBName:  ACEHorn3.JPG
Views: 3158
Size:  246.5 KB
    ------------------
    I sold my ACE and am no longer a moderator on this forum. In fact I'm not participating on this forum at all. Sending me questions about my previous signatures is not likely to generate a response. But if you ask your question to the forum publicly, I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-

This user has no status.

Member #
    I went to homo depot and bought some 1/2x12x24 expanded metal( it was $9.97 per piece needed 3 ). Laid it down on the back of the front bumper, marked it up with a sharpie, cut it to fit, sanded it, primed it and painted it satin black to match the bumper's, I did 3 spot's on the front bumper and just protected the tail light's on the back bumper. I used self tapping screw's to hold it in place, pre drilled the hole's smaller and thenName:  GRILLE 006.JPG
Views: 3455
Size:  4.58 MBName:  GRILLE 012.JPG
Views: 3403
Size:  4.56 MBName:  grille 001.JPG
Views: 3444
Size:  4.68 MB touched it up in the back before I put it on the ACE, this weekend !!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    ride.

Member #
    Sweet!! That looks really good.
    ------------------
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-

is ready to ride his ace to work
    everyday...

Member #
    I like that mod. Putting that on my list

Supporting Member
    ride.

Member #
    Tie Down Points for the ACE

It irks me that ORV manufacturers don't include tie down points in their build.
    All it would take is a small tab of steel with a hole in it welded to the frame at each corner. Maybe one front and back center too, for good measure.
    So instead I have to figure out how I'm going to tie down each machine, and every one of them is different.
    Here is how I have decided to do it with the ACE. And you can feel free to do it this way too, if you like. Or not.

Here's the recipe:

Go to the store and buy some eye bolts. Specifically, 3/8 x 16. Make sure they have nuts on them. If not, buy some. Also buy a set of nylon locknuts to go with them.
    The ones in my photo are 4" because I didn't know how long I needed them to be and my local hardware store has a limited selection.
    As it turns out, 3" works great for the front, and 3.5" for the rear. I cut mine down to size once I did a test fit.
    Screw the regular nuts all of the way down toward the eye bolt, to the end of the threads and tighten them up. Those act as spacers so your eye clears obstructions.

Under the front fender, remove one of the bolt/nut sets attaching the roll cage to the frame. I went with the lower one.
    Those bolts are 3/8", so the hole is perfect.
    Replace the bolt/nut you removed with your 3" eye bolt. I put the eye toward the back to avoid interference with the frame.
    Repeat this process on the other side.

Under the rear fender, there is a bolt which attaches the elbow guard (I think that's what that bar is called that the net covers) to the frame. Remove that bolt.
    Here's the part some of you will not like. That bolt was threaded into a welded nut. I think the threads are metric, and I know the nut is a smaller diameter than 3/8".
    You might be able to find an eye bolt somewhere that would thread into that, but it would be smaller and therefore not as strong. I chose to drill out that nut with a 3/8" bit.
    Once the hole and nut are drilled out to 3/8", just slide your eye bolt in there and tighten it down with your locknut on the back.
    Repeat this process on the other side.

Note: Eye bolts are basically straight bolts with no head, curved around into a circle at the end. With enough force, they WILL uncurl. It has happened to me with a trailer tie down point.
    To reduce the possibility that this will happen, I did two things:
    1. I went with a 3/8" bolt. The one that uncurled on me was a 1/4, I think.
    2. When installing the eye bolt, put the open end UP, away from where your tie down strap will exert force on it.

If I had a welder, I would have closed up those eye bolts.
    I might actually take a set to a local welding shop and ask them to do it for me.

Pictures!

Name:  EyeBolts.JPG
Views: 3155
Size:  398.9 KBName:  FrontMountHole.JPG
Views: 3079
Size:  224.7 KBName:  FrontTieDownPointInstalled.JPG
Views: 3790
Size:  219.2 KBName:  RearTieDownPointSuggestion.JPG
Views: 3019
Size:  286.3 KBName:  RearMountPointDrilled.JPG
Views: 3029
Size:  257.7 KBName:  RearTieDownPointInstalled.JPG
Views: 2994
Size:  262.7 KB
    Last edited by Scoundrel; 02-27-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    WillB likes this.
    ------------------
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-

This user has no status.

Member #
    I tie mine down by the front loop and rear hitch mount, the same way I do on my Sportsman 500HO.
    Name:  DSC_0029.JPG
Views: 3332
Size:  1.29 MBName:  DSC_0026.JPG
Views: 3213
Size:  1.42 MB
    4Nines and WillB like this.

Supporting Member
    ride.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by extremegsxr View Post
    I tie mine down by the front loop and rear hitch mount, the same way I do on my Sportsman 500HO.
    When I am loading on my flatbed trailer, I will probably do that. But when I am loading in the toy hauler, I need to hit the four corners because of the tie down tracks on the floor of the hauler.
    I suppose I could run tie downs from each corner to the center, like you are doing with your trailer.

Name:  ToyHaulerGarage.jpg
Views: 3014
Size:  250.6 KB
    Idahopilgrim likes this.
    ------------------
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-

This user has no status.

Member #
    Oh ok...I can see how far apart the tracks are.....nice toy hauler you have there! I'm thinking about getting one and selling my Triton trailer because I have to unload the Ace every time to get it into the garage cause it's to high on the trailer with roll bar to get thru the 7' overhead door. With a toy hauler I can just leave in hauler and put next to garage and can be locked up. What we won't do for our toys!!

Supporting Member
    ride.

Member #
    Indeed! Yes, I think the ACE will probably live in the hauler.
    The original plan was to leave the RZR in the hauler and put the ACE in the shed, but there is more room to get around the ACE in the hauler than when the RZR is in there, and I have a suspicion that I might be taking the ACE on more trips anyway.
    Except, the ACE fits in the truck bed better, so it might turn out that I leave the RZR in the hauler, and put the ACE in the shed where it is easier to get it into the truck from.
    Hard to say exactly how it will shake out at this point.
    Idahopilgrim likes this.
    ------------------
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links