winch blew fuse
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

winch blew fuse

This is a discussion on winch blew fuse within the ACE How-To's and Guides forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; Anyone have fuse burn when using winch?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrjd3

Thread: winch blew fuse

This user has no status.

Member #

winch blew fuse

Anyone have fuse burn when using winch?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Does the fuse blow the second you use the winch switch? If it keeps blowing something on that circuit is shorting out. Just had same problem with accessories fuse keep blowing when trying to turn on any accessories.
    Unplugged all my accessories then plugged back in one by one until fuse blows. Fuse blew when plugged in LED strips, turns out power wire from LED strips was rubbing on frame.

Since you only have the winch kit on winch fuse, I'd check all those wires...most likely one has rubbed through & grounding out on frame.
    Only thing that really causes fuse to blow is being overloaded or shorting out on frame. A bad ground spot will also cause this.
    Last edited by MaxximusDesimus; 05-25-2017 at 11:37 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Possible it is simply overload. Only winches I have had were much bigger. What are realistic expectations for a 2500 lb Polaris winch? The two times fuse blown, individually I could explain away, but both not sure if is coincidence or something going on. Haven't used the winch much to have a feel for it. Couple days ago l tried to pull a bush out of the flower bed. Sitting on grass thought it would either pull it out or slide ace on the grass, but it tightened up and burnt the fuse. Earlier this month I was stuck in a field where trail crossed wet spot, hooked to another machine and tried to use winch help out. Winch did work, too much noise to tell if it started and failed or didn't go at all, but the other machine did not have any trouble pulling me out. Little concerned that winch not going to do me much good if I get stuck with no one around to pull me out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

is Planning a Hatfield and Mccoy
    trip

Member #
    the only thing that goes to a fuse on a winch is the control circuit(aka switch and solenoid) the winch cables itself are straight to the solenoid and then the battery terminal block.. so you should start with checking the solenoid to be sure no wires are touching on the from the small wires on the solenoid to the switch.. the solenoid or conctator whatever you want to call it just uses a small current to energize a coil that makes the main cables make contact to the battery , be sure that your winch wires are in the right spot on the terminal strip.. if you have any big cables on the orange terminal it'll blow the fuse. good luck
    "you cant fix stupid.. but you can fix ugly"
    "when in doubt pull out"

2017 Polaris Ace 900 XC, lock and ride roof
    2017 Can-AM DS 90X
    2011 Honda TRX 250x

trip

Member #
    its kinda hard to see but the main red cable should be on the terminal all the way to the left... the signal wire for you winch switch should be on the orange . and the black should be on the far right.. if its any other way like the red on the orange the winch is trying to operate with only 20 amps and itll blow...Name:  IMG_3906.PNG
Views: 273
Size:  3.64 MB
    Last edited by Sporty061200r; 05-26-2017 at 06:45 AM.
    "when in doubt pull out"

2017 Can-AM DS 90X
    2011 Honda TRX 250x

This user has no status.

Member #
    Dig some digging and found the main power wire "red" was on the middle terminal with the orange wires. Switched to the end terminal with the incoming red wire heavy gauge wire. Worked much better hooked on bush dragged ace across the grass. Had wonder how circuit with a twenty amp fuse powered the winch, apparently it is not supposed to. Amazing thing is it took over a thousand miles without getting stuck to need the winch. Thanks for your help
    Sporty061200r likes this.

trip

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjd3 View Post
    Dig some digging and found the main power wire "red" was on the middle terminal with the orange wires. Switched to the end terminal with the incoming red wire heavy gauge wire. Worked much better hooked on bush dragged ace across the grass. Had wonder how circuit with a twenty amp fuse powered the winch, apparently it is not supposed to. Amazing thing is it took over a thousand miles without getting stuck to need the winch. Thanks for your help
    Glad it was a simple fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "when in doubt pull out"

2017 Can-AM DS 90X
    2011 Honda TRX 250x

Sponsored Links