Emergency Belt Replacement on the Trail - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Emergency Belt Replacement on the Trail

This is a discussion on Emergency Belt Replacement on the Trail within the ACE How-To's and Guides forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; Thanks! The words "Pulley Puller Tool" in the first post are a clickable link. Here it is: https://www.startinglineproducts.com...productID=1651...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Emergency Belt Replacement on the Trail

Supporting Member
    is looking forward to the next
    ride.

Member #
    Thanks!

The words "Pulley Puller Tool" in the first post are a clickable link. Here it is:
    https://www.startinglineproducts.com...productID=1651
    ------------------
    I sold my ACE and am no longer a moderator on this forum. In fact I'm not participating on this forum at all. Sending me questions about my previous signatures is not likely to generate a response. But if you ask your question to the forum publicly, I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    Keep the rubber side down!
    -=-=-=-
    Check out my UTV Guide to Washington State at http://www.utvadventuresllc.com!
    -=-=-=-

This user has no status.

Member #
    got it thanks will order one asap thanks again

Supporting Member
    is looking forward to the next
    ride.

Member #
    Make sure you coat the tool with anti-sieze before you use it. Makes the job easier and less stressful on your parts.
    ------------------
    I sold my ACE and am no longer a moderator on this forum. In fact I'm not participating on this forum at all. Sending me questions about my previous signatures is not likely to generate a response. But if you ask your question to the forum publicly, I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    Keep the rubber side down!
    -=-=-=-
    Check out my UTV Guide to Washington State at http://www.utvadventuresllc.com!
    -=-=-=-

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

is retired and enjoying it.

Member #
    Scoundrel, thanks for the excellent instructions. I replaced my belt today in less than 30 minutes. I did remove the rear wheel to make access to the PVT cover easier. I replaced the belt with a Gates 23C4140. I got this part number from the Gates website. I ordered the replacement belt through Amazon from RPO Powersports. The total cost for the belt was $79.99 through Amazon Prime. The Amazon website appears to be out of date. It stated that this belt would not fit a Polaris Ace. Gates was right and it fit perfectly. I ordered the belt on May 7 and it arrived May 11. Pro Powersports processed the order the same day.

I hope that I don't ever have to do this on the trail. I did this replacement because my old belt was slipping on hard acceleration. I could smell the belt burning. It was worn down a bit on the sides. I did order a pulley puller through Amazon from Boss Powersports Outlet for $23 so that I can do a trail replacement. I am going to add one of those wands with a magnet on the end to my trail tool box to pick up the screws that I inevitable drop. Finding the bronze colored screws in a pile of dead leaves would be difficult at best. I am also going to add a deep socket that will fit my lug nuts to my trail tool box.

I have driven the Ace only about a quarter mile. The Gates belt seemed very smooth. Before the day is out I will put about 10 easy miles on the belt. If I have a problem, I will report back to the forum.
    Last edited by Hayseed; 05-12-2015 at 06:42 PM.
    Scoundrel likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Great write up. I put together the necessary tools including the puller. During my test run using only tools I carry, the only problem I had in trying to remove/replace the belt was in getting the PVT cover off without removing the left rear wheel. I have a 2016 570 SP with stock wheels and tires and I was unable to get the PVT cover off with the left rear tire still on. Am I doing something wrong or is it necessary to remove the left rear tire/wheel? I do carry a 1/2 drive breaker bar and the correct socket to get the lug nuts off anyway, but what do people carry for a jack or what ever to get the tire off the ground? I have a small bottle jack that I could carry, but would rather not have to. I often ride with only my wife on her bike so we don't have enough people to lift the corner of my Ace if necessary. Looking for ideas. Thanks

This user has no status.

Member #
    Something my father showed me few years back when our truck dropped through a frozen beaverdam. One rear wheel dropped right up to the differential & I thought we were walking the 40kms out to the highway.
    Had me get a log about 15ft. long, stuck large stump few feet behind truck, then used the log as leverage to lift the rear end up while he filled in the hole with sticks & bits of wood.

You'd be surprised how easy you can lift a few thousand pounds with very little effort! The ACE would be a feather-weight in that situation!

This user has no status.

Member #
    MaxximusD: Very true about using lever from a small log or large branch when riding in the forest which I do about half of the time. I am more worried about those time riding in the desert where there might not be anything around for miles to use as a lever. Am afraid that my chances of burning up a belt are likely to be higher while riding in the desert where you may be in deep sand and/or deep gullies or doing a little rock crawling.

Except for my jack, got all or my tools and spare parts stashed in either the front storage area or in the bags that are attached to the insides of the doors. Bought a small tool bag at Harbor and cut a piece of plywood to fit in the bottom of the tool bag. Until I come up with something better, will carry my bottle jack in the tool bag and carry it in the back. Figure the plywood may be handy if needing to jack on sand.

Would like to find a small bladder that I could inflate with my 12 volt air pump that could be used to lift up one corner of the Ace. So far all I can find online are way to large and expensive for what I need. Some one needs to come up with a small one sized for UTVs and ATVs as most people have some sort of air pump with them.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I know this is an older post. But thanks Scoundrel for a great write up. Decided to practice mine today with my tool bag and my bottle jack I keep in my box. Didn’t have to remove the grease fitting on my 2015 570 to get the cover off. Took me approximately 40 minutes to pull the pulleys; try out my new belt and replace the old belt and put everything back. Of course I only have about 400 miles on my new old stock Ace belt that I bought new this past December. Now I feel confident if I break a belt I can pull the pulleys remove the broken belt strings (if any) and replace my backup belt and be on my way.
    Last edited by Papa-t; 05-21-2018 at 02:36 PM.
    “I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne

is patiently waiting for snow

Member #
    Sorry Scoundrel but pulling the primary and secondary clutches off and removing rear wheel to replace and install a new belt is overkill and NOT field friendly.

To install or remove an old belt, all you need to do is separate the sheaves on the secondary clutch and then pull the belt off. There is usually a threaded tool that you screw into the secondary sheave that spreads the sheave. That is all you have to do and nothing more.

Primary clutches do not come off easily on machines with time and hours on them. A clutch puller can break inside the crankshaft when trying to pull the primary. Any belt strings can easily be picked without removing clutch sheaves.

Removing rear wheel and clutches is like pulling your head to replace the spark plug AFAIC.
    Last edited by Skyliner; 05-28-2018 at 10:05 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Gents,

This is a great writeup for information about changing the belt and what is required. Not sure about the clutch puller you posted in the link, but I emailed both EPI and SLP about clutch pullers and this is the information I got back:

EPI Clutch Puller for the ACE 900XC: PCP-8
    SLP Clutch Puller for the ACE 900XC: 20-136

Not sure if the puller listed in the original post is different or the same, but this was the information direct from the manufacturers.

V22Driver

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links