Mounting of Polaris Winch Kit part number 2879709 3500 HD for ACE - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Mounting of Polaris Winch Kit part number 2879709 3500 HD for ACE

This is a discussion on Mounting of Polaris Winch Kit part number 2879709 3500 HD for ACE within the ACE How-To's and Guides forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; I finally got my EMP plate with Warn winch installed. Write-up is here . Perhaps a little less detailed than cumminsdieselgt's write-up. I think between ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Mounting of Polaris Winch Kit part number 2879709 3500 HD for ACE

Supporting Member
    is looking forward to the next
    ride.

Member #
    I finally got my EMP plate with Warn winch installed. Write-up is here.
    Perhaps a little less detailed than cumminsdieselgt's write-up.

I think between us, we can definitely put to bed the whole "ACE is pre-wired for a winch" thing. That is a bullshit statement.
    To me, "pre-wired for a winch" means:
    * Fat supply power cables already bolted down to the terminal block, bundled up and ready to connect to a contactor.
    * Fat winch power cables snaking down from to the winch area from the contactor area and bundled up there with a bit of slack, waiting for a winch to be dropped in.
    * Rocker switch already mounted in the dash, wired for 12v accessory power and with switch wiring already routed to the terminal block/contactor area.
    (or, at least, wires run to the back of a cutout, ready for you to splice your own rocker switch in and mount it)

So in my opinion, the ACE is NOT pre-wired for a winch. Not a bit of it.
    But of course, if Polaris HAD pre-wired it, then people would have complained because the wiring they provided would have fit the Polaris kit, and would probably have needed to be modified to fit whatever brand of winch they wanted to put in. And not everyone will install a winch, so pre-wiring it would add an unnecessary production line expense.
    So I feel that Polaris simply should not have advertised winch wiring, since the unit does not have it.
    Then they would not have the stigma of customer expectations set and then not met.
    Last edited by Scoundrel; 04-27-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    cumminsdieselgt likes this.
    ------------------
    I sold my ACE and am no longer a moderator on this forum. In fact I'm not participating on this forum at all. Sending me questions about my previous signatures is not likely to generate a response. But if you ask your question to the forum publicly, I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    Keep the rubber side down!
    -=-=-=-
    Check out my UTV Guide to Washington State at http://www.utvadventuresllc.com!
    -=-=-=-

is If I'm not out on the ACE, I
    wanna be...

Member #
    Perfect assessment, Scoundrel. Not prewired at all, just like you say, and probably for the reason you specified. Excellent write up.

EZG
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Great write up Scoundrel!

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

is In the mood to build more ACE
    custom accessories.

Member #
    Just received the Polaris winch and am in "Install" mode. Your post has been great! Thanks for your efforts. I too noticed lacking instructions and am puzzled by one red wire I haven't noticed in this post or in the instructions. It is pictured below (in the center of the picture) and I am assuming it gets hooked to the "red" battery terminal with the other red wire. This red wire goes to the switch plug. It will not fit over the red lug on the winch wiring terminal but would fit over the red lug on the battery terminal. Any thoughts? Where did you put the small red wire?

Name:  IMG_4160.JPG
Views: 1043
Size:  1.53 MB

Supporting Member
    is looking forward to the next
    ride.

Member #
    I believe that the small red wire goes to keyed power, which is the center terminal of the terminal block under your hood storage compartment.

Note: Someone else posted in another thread that their terminal block was wired differently so it might not be the center one.
    Look for the one that has skinny orange wires attached to it and does NOT have fat red or black wires attached to it.

The reason it is a smaller wire is that it only needs enough power to close the relay so that the large red wire can send power to the winch.
    The reason it goes to keyed power is so that it can only draw current when the ignition switch is on, and it will be fused.

Name:  TerminalBlock2.JPG
Views: 1003
Size:  142.4 KBName:  TerminalBlock1.JPG
Views: 741
Size:  222.4 KBName:  TerminalBlockLocation.JPG
Views: 700
Size:  222.9 KB
    Last edited by Scoundrel; 08-30-2014 at 01:45 PM.
    4Nines and whatwasithinkin like this.
    ------------------
    I sold my ACE and am no longer a moderator on this forum. In fact I'm not participating on this forum at all. Sending me questions about my previous signatures is not likely to generate a response. But if you ask your question to the forum publicly, I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    Keep the rubber side down!
    -=-=-=-
    Check out my UTV Guide to Washington State at http://www.utvadventuresllc.com!
    -=-=-=-

is If I'm not out on the ACE, I
    wanna be...

Member #
    I concur.Name:  20140830_213005.jpg
Views: 2140
Size:  2.90 MB

custom accessories.

Member #
    Good Call Guys! Thanks! So I would agree this winch wasn't a real easy install and I wasn't impressed several things. I like a good challenge and I enjoy doing this sort of stuff but I bought the polaris winch because I thought it would be more of a "clean" install. Below are the 4 screws that hold down the winch terminal block, notice how they go into the "cab", they are high up but really?

Name:  IMG_4162.JPG
Views: 871
Size:  1.93 MB

I bought the 2500 winch and the top two mounting bolts were hard to tighten because of other screws in the way. The top "passenger" side bolt could only be tightened using a wrench (without moving two hard to reach bolts). So I'm not sure I got the torque setting right but I guessed. To tighten the back two bolts on the terminal block I used a long extension and I'm guessing the bolts are off, say 85 degrees because there wasn't enough rood inside the housing.

Name:  IMG_4161.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  1.64 MB

I mounted my plug in the same area, great idea! I used a 3/16" drill bit where they called for 1/4". I drilled the 1" hole and then installed the plug and used it as a guide to drill the two small holes. I was very surprised how hard it was to reinstall the rivets in the small fender panel. I put the terminal block with the small wire facing the driver, I figured it might help with heat. I also ran the wires like a distributer cap (blue wire). A little hard to pull the boot on but seemed cleaner. Not happy with the zig/zag on that red wire but running out of options with the weird wire lengths they gave me.

Name:  IMG_4164.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  1.75 MB

It was past midnight by then but it still seemed a bit excessive. I'm not sure how long the project took overall because I was working on a horn, blinkers, and bumper too. My guess is 1.5 hours or so but I aimed to do it right. I do like the winch itself. It looks very well built and better then some of the ones I debated on getting.

is WTF

Member #
    the KFI winch mount for 99 bucks is a much better design than the EMP mount .
    and you get a steel bumper that covers the winch .

custom accessories.

Member #
    Just realized that the Polaris winch is not centered!? What the heck! Humm I guess I'm gonna loosen some bolts (that I shouldn't have to loosen) and try to center it.

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Really good write ups and info here in this thread.

Now if only I could make up my mind weither or not I need a winch for my ACE?

I had a winch on my Brute Force and the only use it got was pulling other people back onto the trails or out of a bad mud hole stuck.

2016 Ace 900 SP

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links