HowTo: Replace a torn CV boot on a Polaris Sportsman ACE - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

HowTo: Replace a torn CV boot on a Polaris Sportsman ACE

This is a discussion on HowTo: Replace a torn CV boot on a Polaris Sportsman ACE within the ACE How-To's and Guides forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; Front shaft # 1333099 $369!!!!!! I'm not seeing a shared application so maybe that's why the extra $100 in price. Sent from my iPhone using ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: HowTo: Replace a torn CV boot on a Polaris Sportsman ACE

This user has no status.

Member #
    Front shaft # 1333099 $369!!!!!!
    I'm not seeing a shared application so maybe that's why the extra $100 in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting Member
    is looking forward to the next
    ride.

Member #
    Looks like the rhino axle is about $200. That's not much better than stock. If it's tougher, that's cool I guess, but the weak point, at least in the context of this thread, is the CV boot. I bet the Rhino's CV boot is not any tougher.

People buy stronger axles because they've put huge tires on a 1000cc machine and are snapping axles. The ACE won't have issues like that.
    ------------------
    I sold my ACE and am no longer a moderator on this forum. In fact I'm not participating on this forum at all. Sending me questions about my previous signatures is not likely to generate a response. But if you ask your question to the forum publicly, I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    Keep the rubber side down!
    -=-=-=-
    Check out my UTV Guide to Washington State at http://www.utvadventuresllc.com!
    -=-=-=-

This user has no status.

Member #

HowTo: Replace a torn CV boot on a Polaris Sportsman ACE

No ur absolutely right. But if I do have to replace the shaft due to the sand chewing up the cv, I'll go with the much larger rhino. Not that saying this will happen, but the last time my son road the 700 rhino we ended up with a broken gorilla axle with 28's!! A fluke I'm sure lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

is If I'm not out on the ACE, I
    wanna be...

Member #
    Awesome write-up, Scoundrel! And great advice to be checking those boots after every ride! Independent suspension is very compliant with rough riding, but even with the boot and the possible replacement, I believe I'd still rather have it vs. a solid rear axle. Your idea of some sort of a deflector shield may be a great answer to keep sharp sticks, large gravel, and other generally unacceptable sharps out of the area where the boot rides. Maybe even an expanded metal type of guard which would let air, water, dust, etc. flow in and out, but help prevent those rocks and sticks from binding up or poking holes in stuff.

If you carry some Gorilla tape, be sure to put a can of Brake Kleen Spray and some blue shop towels in the kit to degrease the rubber before wrapping it with tape. That may help it to stick a bit better so you could get home with less grit in the CV joint.

Awesome info! Thanks.

Supporting Member
    is looking forward to the next
    ride.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselgt View Post
    Awesome write-up, Scoundrel! And great advice to be checking those boots after every ride! Independent suspension is very compliant with rough riding, but even with the boot and the possible replacement, I believe I'd still rather have it vs. a solid rear axle. Your idea of some sort of a deflector shield may be a great answer to keep sharp sticks, large gravel, and other generally unacceptable sharps out of the area where the boot rides. Maybe even an expanded metal type of guard which would let air, water, dust, etc. flow in and out, but help prevent those rocks and sticks from binding up or poking holes in stuff.

If you carry some Gorilla tape, be sure to put a can of Brake Kleen Spray and some blue shop towels in the kit to degrease the rubber before wrapping it with tape. That may help it to stick a bit better so you could get home with less grit in the CV joint.

Awesome info! Thanks.
    I was thinking more about the deflector thing, and I am concerned that if I did not make a complete enclosure, then any rocks that did get in there would become trapped and actually INCREASE the likelihood of damaging the axle/boot.

Very good point about de-greasing the rubber. I was planning to stick the tape to itself, rather than the rubber, but a clean boot stuck tightly with tape would be better. I have enough room in the toy hauler garage for some cleaner and a roll of towels too.
    ------------------
    I sold my ACE and am no longer a moderator on this forum. In fact I'm not participating on this forum at all. Sending me questions about my previous signatures is not likely to generate a response. But if you ask your question to the forum publicly, I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    Keep the rubber side down!
    -=-=-=-
    Check out my UTV Guide to Washington State at http://www.utvadventuresllc.com!
    -=-=-=-

This user has no status.

Member #
    Well the inner right rear boot fell victim to damage. It was tore on big side right next to steel drum. So, dad had duck tape. It a very tight space. I had lori drive it while I duck walked chased it. I didn't have any cleaner. I wiped the drum and wrapped it. As she moved it forward it unwond the tape onto it. It was a quick fix to go ride, and we did. I stayed out of water till last few miles, dipped it in lake to wash her off. Will be a busy week, as the Ez-Steer is throwing a 32 code. Good night.

duane
    two 2014 Polaris ACE
    Last edited by duane h; 04-13-2015 at 01:28 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thank you Scoundrel.
    Last edited by duane h; 04-13-2015 at 01:30 AM.
    Scoundrel likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #

I cannot get this extracted from the tranny housing. I have tried various size shapes of pry bars and screwdrivers, even broke 2 ratchet strap ratchets trying to use that force to pull it out.
    Help?

On a second note, the 27mm axle nut, sae size is closer with
    a 1 -1/16th(1.0625"). 27 mm is actually 1.0629".

duane
    two 2014 Polaris ACE

This user has no status.

Member #
    if you go on youtube put polaris rzr axle replacement powermodz, he has the same trouble you are having and how he solved the stuck axle
    duane h likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I finally got it.
    Squirting wd40 behind it to try and loosen it. I gave up. I assembled the inner boot attached. The shaft came out earlier but not the drum. So admits my frustration, I assembled it. Dumass me put it together on top of the top suspension tube. Grrrr. Remove it or the axle? So I yanked on it, well the wd40 worked, out came the drum.
    It the drum does not come out fairly easy, lube it and wait. If you keep banging, the metal drum is against an aluminum housing. . You will damage it.
    So time to go finish this job.
    Rain rain go away.... at least I am in garage.

If I had some anti sieze, I would put it on. I don't so I will add a little grease.

duane
    two 2014 Polaris ACE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links