Simple Tail Light Mod - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Simple Tail Light Mod

This is a discussion on Simple Tail Light Mod within the ACE How-To's and Guides forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; Do you have a wiring diagram for how you hooked it up? I tested the wires on my 2015 570 Ace and all showed they ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Simple Tail Light Mod

This user has no status.

Member #
    Do you have a wiring diagram for how you hooked it up? I tested the wires on my 2015 570 Ace and all showed they went to ground. With the light switch on they all showed hot! I have heard that you have to put a relay in and use it to go to ground to make them work. ????

This user has no status.

Member #
    Polaris uses unconventional positive ground system on most tail/brake light wiring. Read has to do with wiring lasts longer due to galvanic corrosion of negative ground?

Red wire= 12V constant (with key on)
    Orange wire= Hot then Ground when brake applied
    Brown wire= Chassis ground

Here's a diagram to connect a true 3rd brake light or regular 3-wire tail/brake lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MaxximusDesimus; 01-21-2019 at 06:47 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxximusDesimus View Post
    Outer bulbs are powered by power plug on frame, just over left rear tire.
    Snipped off plug & wired lights there for always-on tail lights. Plug is live with key on, regardless if headlights are on or off!
    You mentioned a plug over the left rear tire. I only see one, but when I put a multi-meter on it I couldn't get any readings...quite possibly my mistake somehow. It has a orange and brown wire....see pics below. Is this the correct one? If yes, then which is hot and ground? Appreciate the help from you or anyone one else who knows. I'm not sure why the pics loaded sideways....should be rotated clockwise.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yes sir, that's the plug I used! Should have power soon as key is turned on. Orange is hot & brown is ground. Normally Polaris uses positive ground system in which orange is hot, then becomes ground when brake is applied.
    With this plug it's simply hot & ground, at least it was on mine. Plug is 12volt switched so long as key is on or ACE is running, plug should have power.

Not sure how much it puts out, but tested my 32" LED light bar(180watt/15amp) & didn't need to up the fuse.

Just to be sure of correct readings, put multimeter ground probe on frame, I too got false readings when using both probes directly on wires.
    Last edited by MaxximusDesimus; 01-21-2019 at 06:51 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yes sir, that's the plug I used! Should have power soon as key is turned on. Orange is hot & brown is ground. Normally Polaris uses positive ground system in which orange is hot, then becomes ground when brake is applied.
    With this plug it's simply hot & ground, at least it was on mine. Plug is 12volt switched so long as key is on or ACE is running, plug should have power.

Not sure how much it puts out, but tested my 32" LED light bar(180watt/15amp) & didn't need to up the fuse.

Just to be sure of correct readings, put multimeter ground probe on frame, I too got false readings when using both probes directly on wires.
    Thank you.

This user has no status.

Member #
    On my 900SP there is a wire at the back that is a trigger for reverse lights that, as I recall, grounds when the lever is put in R. Not sure but there were two unused wire connectors in the loom in back, a black wire with a white stripe and a black wire with a red stripe. I used a relay to run the reverse floods. Can't find my book right now so I don't have the schematic available to confirm, but it works great especially at night, and on the trail its a good heads up when I'm backing out of the tree I ran into.

This user has no status.

Member #

So, armed with this knowledge, i was trying again with the multimeter and still wasn't getting any readings. I was about to give up when commonsense kicked in and told me to check a fuse. Sure enough, the yellow 20 amp "accessory" fuse was blown. I probably did it when I was trying to test it the 1st time...maybe. Anyway, I replaced the fuse and I was able to get the expected voltage reading. Yippee!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links