My fix for the cargo bed/muffler heat issue. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

My fix for the cargo bed/muffler heat issue.

This is a discussion on My fix for the cargo bed/muffler heat issue. within the ACE How-To's and Guides forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; Originally Posted by Vandal Quote :Maximus desimus:I honestly don't believe the problem is caused only by covering the holes. That's exactly the reason for the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: My fix for the cargo bed/muffler heat issue.

is Trying to keep the rubber side
    down!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    Quote :Maximus desimus:I honestly don't believe the problem is caused only by covering the holes.

That's exactly the reason for the excess heat in the cargo area. Polaris did a very stupid thing when they made the cargo box that covered those holes. When left open the box never gets overly hot and absolutely no melting occurs anywhere on the box or the cargo area. But that's OK guys....don't believe me and keep on trying to make some kind of complicated FIX that will only make you cut into your Aces which may or may not eliminate the problem. I have carried coolers and aerosol cans in the cargo box without any heat problem at all, and will never change the simple fix I made that works and costs virtually nothing. The slight air gap around the box is all that's needed

One other thing Max....by raising the box 1/4 to 3/8 inch the box still fits in its designed location and the lock and ride plungers still function the way they were designed......no modification needed and the box is still secured as well as without the rubber pad underneath. I've ridden mine all over HM and the east Tennessee trails and the box has never come loose
    As I said in my previous post, I have not had any heat issues but I might use Vandal's method to reduce heat in that area
    '15 voodoo blue 570,factory full doors,roof,rear storage box,2500lb. winch,rear sway bar removed,ace 900 rear springs,custom seat mods,custom suspension bushings,27" maxxis zilla tires,itp delta steel wheels,factory front and rear brush guards,custom radiator guard,factory fender flares,custom exhaust,dobeck ejk fuel controller,fiamm "freeway blaster"horn,other stuff!

is Waiting for the next ride

Member #
    Polarbear...it just may be where you live keeping temps down on your Ace. I frequently ride in 90+ degree temps If you use the fix I used make sure you use material like used to make mudflaps for semis. The rubber has some fabric embedded in the rubber and it makes for a very hard piece of rubber. Too soft a compound rubber may cause a melting problem of the rubber itself, Soft compound rubber has a much lower melting point than hard rubber compounds. Good luck and great riding to you
    polarbear and WillB like this.
    2016 RZR 570 EPS Trail with EBS and turf mode
    Sunset red
    Quadboss roof
    F+R windshields
    Polaris cargo box
    Polaris low profile front and rear brushguards
    SS212 wheels
    Maxxis ceros tires 26X9X12 and 26X11X12
    20 inch light bar
    Badland 3500# winch with Moto-alliance winch mount
    Mudbusters fender flares
    Highlifter 2 inch lift kit
    Polaris A Arm Guards
    Yearban piggyback shocks

Departed friends
    2001 Kawasaki Bayou300 4X4
    2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    2015 Polaris Ace 570

is Trying to keep the rubber side
    down!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    Polarbear...it just may be where you live keeping temps down on your Ace. I frequently ride in 90+ degree temps If you use the fix I used make sure you use material like used to make mudflaps for semis. The rubber has some fabric embedded in the rubber and it makes for a very hard piece of rubber. Too soft a compound rubber may cause a melting problem of the rubber itself, Soft compound rubber has a much lower melting point than hard rubber compounds. Good luck and great riding to you
    Thanks Vandal, I am sure it is a lot hotter in your riding areas than mine but I like your method to reduce the heat. Good luck and great riding to you as well!
    '15 voodoo blue 570,factory full doors,roof,rear storage box,2500lb. winch,rear sway bar removed,ace 900 rear springs,custom seat mods,custom suspension bushings,27" maxxis zilla tires,itp delta steel wheels,factory front and rear brush guards,custom radiator guard,factory fender flares,custom exhaust,dobeck ejk fuel controller,fiamm "freeway blaster"horn,other stuff!

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    My bad...failed to mentioned in first post, the ONLY reason I cut vents, is after reading up on melting issue...inspection revealed mild melting about 3" diameter around the mounts where muffler hangers slip into.
    I HAVE NOT YET INSTALLED OR USED STORAGE BOX! Melting is with cargo bed empty & nothing ever hauled in it. If bed has already started to melt empty, adding a spacer is NOT going to make it any better!
    Bed holes are already in full open air. Adding 3/8" spacer + storage box will only make it worse in my case.

Maybe it's just my mine, but again I've already had melting without storage box & bed empty! First post updated to clarify, Thanks again all!
    Last edited by MaxximusDesimus; 10-08-2016 at 11:27 PM.
    BillyBlaze likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    is feeling awesome.

Member #
    It's late, I did not have time to individually pick through the messages in detail.

I did my best to remove any post unrelated to the original topic. I would ask everyone to respect the OPs original thread and keep your posts helpful, insightful or relevant.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks Mungo, thankfully I'm usually always a very happy guy. I totally agree with Vandal's preferred method as I've taken a perfectly good machine with flawless plastics & chopped a bunch of holes in it...not an easy thing to do! I literally thought WTF did I just do after the first cut was made! In my case it was the only way. Got my eye on a new ACE + rear cargo box this winter. In that case I will go the spacer approach as it's highly unlikely to get another ACE with the same heat issue as mine....I hope!

is Waiting for the next ride

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxximusDesimus View Post
    Thanks Mungo, thankfully I'm usually always a very happy guy. I totally agree with Vandal's preferred method as I've taken a perfectly good machine with flawless plastics & chopped a bunch of holes in it...not an easy thing to do! I literally thought WTF did I just do after the first cut was made! In my case it was the only way. Got my eye on a new ACE + rear cargo box this winter. In that case I will go the spacer approach as it's highly unlikely to get another ACE with the same heat issue as mine....I hope!
    Max....do you have any pics of the melting problem without the cargo box? Like I said earlier this is the first time I've heard of that problem
    2016 RZR 570 EPS Trail with EBS and turf mode
    Sunset red
    Quadboss roof
    F+R windshields
    Polaris cargo box
    Polaris low profile front and rear brushguards
    SS212 wheels
    Maxxis ceros tires 26X9X12 and 26X11X12
    20 inch light bar
    Badland 3500# winch with Moto-alliance winch mount
    Mudbusters fender flares
    Highlifter 2 inch lift kit
    Polaris A Arm Guards
    Yearban piggyback shocks

Departed friends
    2001 Kawasaki Bayou300 4X4
    2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    2015 Polaris Ace 570

Supporting Member
    is My Rock = Ace Parts

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxximusDesimus View Post
    I've got a brand new Polaris box that I bought from the dealer that I probably will not use at this point.
    If you are still looking this winter hit me up.
    I am going to try the HVAC tape and see if it will reduce some of the heat, so it may not be an issue with mine after that is done. Probably going to add a different free flowing muffler and fuel tuner as well, which will help in performance and less heat :-)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Heat spots visible on each side. Dark spots in center are very shallow indents melted slightly lower than surrounding plastic. Slight blistering around both spots. May not have gotten worse but really didn't want to take chance. Already had plastic off so figured WTH just as well make sure it's not going to get any worse, cut slightly larger than needed. A ton of heat escaping from vents now. Actually thought this was the same issue everyone else was having. Was it not until AFTER adding cargo box?
    Name:  20161011_120706.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  1.01 MB
    BillyBlaze likes this.

Supporting Member
    is My Rock = Ace Parts

Member #
    I am going to get my FLIR thermal imaging camera and take some readings and capture some pics, maybe this will help us all know exactly how much heat is being put out by the muffler and leechng into the surrounding plastics.

I think this will help having some numbers and will show exactly where it is getting hot.
    Maybe it will help someone :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links