My fix for the cargo bed/muffler heat issue.
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

My fix for the cargo bed/muffler heat issue.

This is a discussion on My fix for the cargo bed/muffler heat issue. within the ACE How-To's and Guides forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; The ONLY reason I cut vents, is bed inspection revealed mild melting about 3" diameter around the mounts where muffler hangers slip into. I HAVE ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: My fix for the cargo bed/muffler heat issue.

This user has no status.

Member #

My fix for cargo bed/muffler heat issue.

The ONLY reason I cut vents, is bed inspection revealed mild melting about 3" diameter around the mounts where muffler hangers slip into.
    I HAVE NOT YET INSTALLED OR USED POLARIS LOCK & RIDE REAR CARGO BOX! Slight melting has occurred with cargo bed completely empty! NOT ALL WILL EXPERIENCE THIS!
    PLEASE READ:
    For those installing Polaris Lock & Ride Rear Cargo Box that will cover bed holes, FIRST try placing 3/8" thick spacer between cargo bed & storage box but DO NOT cover bed holes to allow heat to escape!
    For those with melting WITHOUT Polaris Lock & Ride Rear Cargo Box and bed completely EMPTY, fix is up to you whether it's to install air ducts, fans or cut vents etc!

I chose to cut vents as slight melting has already occurred without storage box installed. Following molded edges around center of cargo bed, I marked cutout lines 3/8" from all edges & radiused the corners.
    Depending on heat felt from vent, may cut an additional vent on each side of center vent. Red circles show location of melt spots on backside of plastic.
    Name:  20161004_190507.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  2.31 MB

First drilled 1 1/8" test holes. I'm sure holes drilled across top of bed, within the width of bed section that steps down should be more than enough to vent the hot air.
    Name:  20161004_201835.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  2.72 MB

Vent cut to final size. You can see how close the muffler hangers are to the plastic...approx. 1/8" away in my case. I'm convinced with storage box installed, mine would have melted too!
    Name:  20161004_213533.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  2.62 MB

Muffler is mounted directly below bar so you can guess how hot it gets up inside that hump! Rear holes were also cut for flow through ventilation. Center vents will also be cut in between mounts from the outside plastic.
    Name:  20161004_213747.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  1.83 MB

Even at idle heat now has vents to escape from. In theory, the intense heat flowing up & out through vents should also pull any surrounding heat along with it.
    Cool air coming in around tires should also be forced up through vents as well. Muffler should block most mud/water from splashing up through vents & into the bed.
    1 1/8" hole saw used to cut rear holes, perfect size for rear panel section where drilled.
    Name:  20161004_202008.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  3.31 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MaxximusDesimus; 10-08-2016 at 11:40 PM.
    glamisace570 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Just few more vents to cut & cleanup the edges. Expanded steel mesh will be be riveted behind large vent to keep cargo from falling through or burning on muffler.
    Also going to mount an LED work/backup light. Looking at the vents, I honestly don't believe any air ducts will ever be needed! Will update when done.
    Last edited by MaxximusDesimus; 10-05-2016 at 02:06 AM.

Supporting Member
    is My Rock = Ace Parts

Member #
    Fantastic!!

I like this, I think I will do the same thing.
    My first purchase for my Ace was the polaris cargo box, then I started reading about the heat issues in the rear so I took it out.
    In Texas we get some days at 110, not to mention the heat index lol

I figured I would add a spacer under the box as most have done to vent some but still was looking for an option to cowl the air from under the rear bed.

Your option looks like it would work very well.

I am also looking to add some HVAC aluminum ducting tape to plastic parts that are close to any heat sources from the seat back

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Personally, I think a better solution or an addition to this would be a small fan under there somewhere. You could even put the fan inside the cab and run a duct through the firewall. You could even make it reversible to use the heat in the winter months. During the summer the fan would also help to remove the heat from the cab that comes through from the radiator.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yeah thought of that too. I also build custom PC's so no shortage of powerful 12volt fans. My rad is out back though, can maybe use heat coming off muffler with fans & ducting. I can tell you from standing behind the ACE when fan kicks in, it moves air like a freaking jet engine! If one were to install ducts through firewall & maybe a fan override switch, you'd be toasty warm...even without full doors! You'd never know just how powerful fan is until you relocate it into open air.

That's a darn great idea though, just may have to slap rad back in front for winter. Yeah I can understand some may not like the idea of cutting into their ACE.
    Last edited by MaxximusDesimus; 10-05-2016 at 11:16 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have wondered about a fan in rear to move heat with duct and gate to direct out on warm days and into cockpit for cold.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ducts from rad/fan & into cab should be easy as fan puts out some serious airflow! Ducts from muffler all way into cab may be tricky due to space limitations.
    I'm not so worried about cool air, but having free heat from muffler/rad in winter sounds real nice...only reason I barely ride after the snow hits!
    The small heaters available usually cost an arm & leg!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Name:  IMG_0392.JPG
Views: 648
Size:  1.19 MBName:  IMG_0391.JPG
Views: 658
Size:  1.06 MBA similar issue about heat, I ride with my seat all the way back and I took it out today for cleaning. It appears where the seat touches the rear panel the heat is causing the panel to melt against my seat. Will examine it closer tomorrow since it got dark on me tonight.

A little closer look it may appear there had been a sticker on one of the two but if there was I didn't remove it.
    Last edited by Plateauman57; 10-06-2016 at 06:54 PM.
    dj

Supporting Member
    is My Rock = Ace Parts

Member #
    Im for sure putting that HVAC tape on everything close to a heat source on mine for this very reason alone.
    And a fire extinguisher has moved up on my list lol

This user has no status.

Member #
    Wow, that looks bad. Is there heat shield on backside of rear panel? Fixed mine after noticed heat shield lifting at corner. Used the HVAC aluminum tape mentioned to tape edges down, then covered entire heat shield with the tape. No signs of melting or damage as of yet.
    I'm also going to stick fiberglass cloth to plastic with spray adhesive then fully cover with the HVAC tape for added protection. Rear panel heat shield looks to be fiberglass/aluminum blend.

Never checked temps inside hump, but idled ACE until fan kicked in at 96°C(204°F) & can sure feel muffler heat coming through vent holes! At speed heat should escape through vents much faster!
    BillyBlaze likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links