2018 Ace check engine light after 5 kms, rpm drops, put in park, engine dies. Help!
Close
Login to Your Account
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

2018 Ace check engine light after 5 kms, rpm drops, put in park, engine dies. Help!

This is a discussion on 2018 Ace check engine light after 5 kms, rpm drops, put in park, engine dies. Help! within the ACE Engine and Drivetrain forums, part of the Polaris ACE Garage category; Hi everyone! Im located in Vanuatu, a tiny island in the South Pacific. What this means is no support. I have the only Ace 500 ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Ace check engine light after 5 kms, rpm drops, put in park, engine dies. Help!

This user has no status.

Member #

Hi everyone!
    Im located in Vanuatu, a tiny island in the South Pacific. What this means is no support. I have the only Ace 500 on the island, roughly a year old. I recently purchased it from a friend, whose daughter was using it casually. Not much mileage on it, runs great.
    Today, not so much. I have had it roughly 2 months without issue. Ran it a few kms up the road, Rpms dropped like a rock, check engine light came on, pulled over, put in brake, engine died.
    Checked oil, on the low side but present. Added around 600 ml, brought it to full. Started it after about an hour, rode 5 kms, same thing again. Cooled down, ran it 5km, same thing. Very frustrating. Any thoughts? I have heard something about a switch issue in some of the older Polaris accelerator pedals? We did start our dry season a few weeks back and I do about 20km of seriously coral dusty road. Water blasted it 4 days ago but dusty again. Going to check out the air filter, rad dusty but not crazy. This is my primary vehicle after a bad motorcycle accident on the same coral road, yuck. Any feedback appreciated greatly!

This user has no status.

Member #
    There is a probably a dozen different things it might be.. I have a 325 ace which is similar to your 500...The fuel pump on mine has/had a flat sock filter on the bottom of it which blocked up once it didn't throw an engine light but it died after x amount of distance and if left sit would run again for a while and die. I just bought a new fuel pump assembly off ebay and binned the Polaris unit.. If you slide your seat out of the Ace you can see the top of the fuel tank it lives under the round plastic nut onto with the wires and pipe coming out of it. Undo the nut and the whole fuel pump will come out for inspection. Check your fuel tank breather if its blocked up with dust it wont air in and let fuel out. If there is a "hissing" noise when you undo the fuel cap after its stopped that's a clue the breather is blocked.
    You mentioned letting it cool down is the Ace actually getting hot? If so check the fan is coming on when temp is up and check that the radiator pipes under the seat/floor etc haven't been hit /damaged by a stick or rock the holes in the bash plate are great for letting dirt and mud out but also great for letting sticks and rocks damage stuff through them. Battery voltage is another cause for trouble if the regulator is playing up or the battery is getting down.. Charge the battery just to be sure and check the regulator isn't full of dirt or mud I am not sure where they ended up putting them on your model but my regulator is right where the mud of one of the back wheels goes. Low voltage or a poor battery and they can throw engine codes and play up.. Check the battery terminals as well its hidden under the seat and under a panel so they rarely get any care.. Your problem sounds fuel related though as it will run and then dies why the check engine light comes on at the same time I am not sure..Goodluck

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanefreighttrain View Post
    There is a probably a dozen different things it might be.. I have a 325 ace which is similar to your 500...The fuel pump on mine has/had a flat sock filter on the bottom of it which blocked up once it didn't throw an engine light but it died after x amount of distance and if left sit would run again for a while and die. I just bought a new fuel pump assembly off ebay and binned the Polaris unit.. If you slide your seat out of the Ace you can see the top of the fuel tank it lives under the round plastic nut onto with the wires and pipe coming out of it. Undo the nut and the whole fuel pump will come out for inspection. Check your fuel tank breather if its blocked up with dust it wont air in and let fuel out. If there is a "hissing" noise when you undo the fuel cap after its stopped that's a clue the breather is blocked.
    You mentioned letting it cool down is the Ace actually getting hot? If so check the fan is coming on when temp is up and check that the radiator pipes under the seat/floor etc haven't been hit /damaged by a stick or rock the holes in the bash plate are great for letting dirt and mud out but also great for letting sticks and rocks damage stuff through them. Battery voltage is another cause for trouble if the regulator is playing up or the battery is getting down.. Charge the battery just to be sure and check the regulator isn't full of dirt or mud I am not sure where they ended up putting them on your model but my regulator is right where the mud of one of the back wheels goes. Low voltage or a poor battery and they can throw engine codes and play up.. Check the battery terminals as well its hidden under the seat and under a panel so they rarely get any care.. Your problem sounds fuel related though as it will run and then dies why the check engine light comes on at the same time I am not sure..Goodluck
    Thanks insanefreighttrain,
    All great things to consider. I just came in from inspection and was horrified to see the air intake and air box. I have never seen an air filter so packed with fine coral dust like that. The air box was quite coated with a fine dust as well. The manual indicates that the check engine light is likely geared towards the EFI system. I assumed by letting it sit allowing the light to reset that heat was a cause but more likely the filter.
    These conditions here are not normal by any means, the dust is very heavy. I suspect I will need to do daily inspection of the air filter during the dry season. Hopefully no damage has been done but the engine sounds fine.
    I checked the oil level again and its now too high so it was clearly not as low as I suspected. Not sure who came up with a yellow dipstick....
    Too dark now to do much of anything else but will replace the air filter and see how things go tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas, and I will post results.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Somewhere on this site is talk about better quality pre filters available which very likely to help your situation. And see if you can order spare air filters online for the air box too.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ahh yes the yellow dipstick its a pain in the neck some engineer at Polaris should get a special award for that mistake..I can only imagine how bad the dust from the crushed coral roads is the normal dirt roads here are bad enough. As huntsouthnz said a different or extra prefilter will help. We had a different utv that was dusting filters in summer and a lightly oiled chux dish cloth pulled tight over it and the cover put back on over it worked well the chux dish cloth still clogged up often and needed changing but the machines normal filter survived much longer between replacements.. Goodluck

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanefreighttrain View Post
    Ahh yes the yellow dipstick its a pain in the neck some engineer at Polaris should get a special award for that mistake..I can only imagine how bad the dust from the crushed coral roads is the normal dirt roads here are bad enough. As huntsouthnz said a different or extra prefilter will help. We had a different utv that was dusting filters in summer and a lightly oiled chux dish cloth pulled tight over it and the cover put back on over it worked well the chux dish cloth still clogged up often and needed changing but the machines normal filter survived much longer between replacements.. Goodluck
    Thanks Insanefreighttrain,
    Changing the filter and an intense air box cleaning did the trick! There must be a sensor that trips when the fuel becomes too rich. When the rpms dropped it wasn't gradual but instant like running out of gas. I put 30kms on last night without issue, will be interesting to see if I notice a fuel consumption difference. I was thinking of trying a snorkel type mod off the pre-filter side to at least draw air in from high up, rain shielded of course. If so I will post on that.
    Thanks!

This user has no status.

Member #
    That's good news at least its sorted and the Ace is useable again..

This user has no status.

Member #
    Make sure you wash out the radiator by flushing water through from the inside to the front. With those dusty conditions it can stop up the vents in the radiator and cause it to over heat as well.
    “I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne

This user has no status.

Member #

Check the Voltage Regulator

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Hi everyone!
    Im located in Vanuatu, a tiny island in the South Pacific. What this means is no support. I have the only Ace 500 on the island, roughly a year old. I recently purchased it from a friend, whose daughter was using it casually. Not much mileage on it, runs great.
    Today, not so much. I have had it roughly 2 months without issue. Ran it a few kms up the road, Rpms dropped like a rock, check engine light came on, pulled over, put in brake, engine died.
    Checked oil, on the low side but present. Added around 600 ml, brought it to full. Started it after about an hour, rode 5 kms, same thing again. Cooled down, ran it 5km, same thing. Very frustrating. Any thoughts? I have heard something about a switch issue in some of the older Polaris accelerator pedals? We did start our dry season a few weeks back and I do about 20km of seriously coral dusty road. Water blasted it 4 days ago but dusty again. Going to check out the air filter, rad dusty but not crazy. This is my primary vehicle after a bad motorcycle accident on the same coral road, yuck. Any feedback appreciated greatly!

Hi,
    I have three ACEs and we have had to replace the voltage regulator on all three of them. Polaris had a bad batch. We bought the replacement part off of Amazon. If your voltage regulator is bad, usually the power steering light will be on. Also, I think it will flash VOL or something like that.
    Thanks
    L

This user has no status.

Member #
    Not so sure about a bad batch with the Voltage Regulator? If you check earlier threads on here, it was the Polaris location of the regulator in front of the rear left wheel inside the guard that gave it exposure to mud, dirt etc that caused it to overheat hence the fins assist dispersing the heat.. Before mine crapped out i brought an after market voltage regulator (Stator brand, Canada) and relocated it high up behind the drivers seat over your right shoulder - there are pics on here showing how. So i actually have two regulators - one as back up, just need to unplug and plug in the other one. The aftermarket ones come with wiring harness ready to go. The Polaris Ace did not have alot of room for the out of the way voltage regulator in the initial design (would have thought somewhere up the front near the radiator or wiring terminal?).
    Motzko - are your 3 Aces same year/model? The latest ones 2018 appear to have moved the voltage regulator higher up and a bit further in on the chassis frame but still in the left rear wheel area so Polaris have been thinking about the issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links