Voltage Regulator on New Aces
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Voltage Regulator on New Aces within the ACE Engine and Drivetrain forums, part of the Polaris ACE Garage category; As I read up on the forum about issues with the ACE, there was mention of the VR being updated by Polaris. I'm curious if ...

Thread: Voltage Regulator on New Aces

This user has no status.

Member #

As I read up on the forum about issues with the ACE, there was mention of the VR being updated by Polaris. I'm curious if newer models (I have a 2019) have a better/more reliable VR or if they are the same and still often fail due to design and location.

In other words do I need to either carry a spare, build a shield, or relocate it?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a friend that has two of these machines and due to location where they get clogged with mud and dirt, but regulators went out. They got so hot the potting material crystallized and fell out leaving them open to water. I think the regulators are good but the location is bad. He relocated his as did I. I welded a plate to mount mine on right in front of the left rear tire. Name:  Polaris ACE V Reg 01 700.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  194.1 KBName:  Polaris ACE V Reg 04 700.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  174.1 KBName:  Polaris ACE V Reg 05 700.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  335.9 KB

This user has no status.

Member #
    Made a sheet metal shield for my 2017. Deflects direct hits, Left room for air flow. Also just had to replace one on a Pioneer 500 after 2000 miles.
    Name:  FF7F721C-7423-4FD6-A30C-39D9D636712D.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  1.20 MB, Name:  653B363D-AAF5-4EE7-927C-14A6260720B0.jpeg
Size:  1.17 MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    I havent looked at mine yet (picked it and dropped it off at my vacation house. I hope to start riding it over the next few weeks), so I'm not even sure where the stock location is. Is your shield covering the stock location or it that after relocation?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudder2 View Post
    Made a sheet metal shield for my 2017. Deflects direct hits, Left room for air flow. Also just had to replace one on a Pioneer 500 after 2000 miles.
    Name:  FF7F721C-7423-4FD6-A30C-39D9D636712D.jpeg
Size:  1.20 MB, Name:  653B363D-AAF5-4EE7-927C-14A6260720B0.jpeg
Size:  1.17 MB

This user has no status.

Member #
    Those things need to be out in the open to dissipate the heat. I don't know that I would recommend a shield. Just my 2 cents. On my rzr it is mounted up front just above and behind the radiator.
    '14 RZR 800 S
    '09 Sportsman 500HO
    '03 Sportsman 500HO-gone

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have to agree about keeping the VR exposed to some airflow. Hence the design of the Polaris VR with cooling fins to dissipate the heat. If you check out the link below, shows options for re mounting the VR in what can be considered a 'better place'?

Like mine - i elected to keep the standard VR as is supplied by the Polaris manufacturer in the same position then purchased an after market one and remounted this on the back cross bar of the roll cage with extended wiring harness. So i now have the option of two VR's ready to go with just the change of the plug. What i consider a back up if one VR fries itself far away from home.

The placement of the factory VR as exists now in front of the rear left wheel and now slightly more inside the frame work on the latest model Ace would probably do for the people that drive through dirt/water but when it comes to serious mud, well that is where problems may develop? Good luck to how you wish to remount or use the VR!

https://www.aceforums.net/forum/44-a...tml#post124784

This user has no status.

Member #
    On my 2015 Rzr 900 trail the VR is mounted open and low in front of the left rear tire. 2000 miles and no problems. I think it is nice that you wanted to build the shield and as long as it does not collect and hold mud between it and the VR, you will have made a wise improvement. "IF" you find it is holding mud and not letting water wash it away, you can simply remove it. No harm done.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The shield is over the stock location. Tried to order an extended harness but it did not fit so returned it. Been in mud and VR fins staying clean. Would still like to find a longer harness for the 2017 and get a spare for peace of mind. Would think the Polaris engineers could have found a better place, a few feet of wire can’t be that much. A link to the proper fitment harness and VR for the 2017 ACE would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Mudder2; 10-09-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Sponsored Links