hard starting, intake valve issues
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on hard starting, intake valve issues within the ACE Engine and Drivetrain forums, part of the Polaris ACE Garage category; Has anyone had issues with hard starting to find out the intake valves had less clearance? One valve adjustment after 1000 miles. New intake valves ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: hard starting, intake valve issues

This user has no status.

Member #

Has anyone had issues with hard starting to find out the intake valves had less clearance? One valve adjustment after 1000 miles. New intake valves a few hundred miles later and now several hundred miles after the new valves it's doing it again. This time the valve seats and valves will be resurfaced. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

is Anytime ready to ride

Member #
    There are two things it could be one get new vavle springs and two put a little more valve lash in it like .002 more that sould fix it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I was thinking springs too, failed to mention that the valve face/edge was mushrooming away from the seat. This causes me to think inferior valve material.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

is Anytime ready to ride

Member #
    Yes change the valves that is not good

This user has no status.

Member #
    I agree and was almost hoping thatthis would be an issue that would be addressed in the future with better valves

is Looking forward to my next
    ride.

Member #
    Well at 1150 miles I'm sitting in the same boat, although the problem started at about 1000 miles. Hard to start when cold, so I pulled the valve cover and found zero lash on the intake side.
    So the parts ordering starts. Hot cams shim kit, Alba chain tensioner(might as well do it now), head gasket and new bolts. I decided might as well pull the head to make setting lash easier, inspect the valves and seats, and I might as well bust out the grinder and lighten the head buy grinding some material out of the ports to while its easy. Than decided since I'm gonna do that, and already got the PCV and autotuner, I might as well buy the clutch kit I've been talking myself out of for months. All this of course means I might as well cut the muffler open and do some changes to it.
    I did resisted the urge to get new cams and up the compression but only because I'm starting to build a garage, so that was and easy decision. I've debated on pulling the flowbench outta storage to do some flow testing, but I'd have to buy a new bore sleeve which is more expense i dont need right now. But I dont really plan on doing much more than a little shaping anyway, although I would like to play around with some valvejobs, but oh well.
    After the garage is up I may get another bare head and valves and starting playing around with it. But who knows, buy that time I'll probably be trying to sell the 570 and get the 900 even though I dont see any reason I'd need that kinda power other than for the pure fun of it occasionally.
    And all of this thinking out loud is because my 570 is almost impossible to start when its cold now.
    Jay

is The inner child in us only
    grows with age

Member #
    Well I may be in the same boat here. I have over 4600 miles on my 325. About 200 miles ago mine started to not want to start when cold. I took it in to the dealership to have them hook it to the computer to rule out any sensor failures and they found nothing. I am bummed, as I was not ready to quit riding for the season, but I guess I will spend time over the winter tearing into it and fixing it. I am gonna do a leak down test first and roll from there. Pretty bummed after being pretty much problem free, aside from the common air box issue and my exhaust manifold pipe getting a hole in it, which I am pretty sure was caused by too much heat and thin metal material. I have always taking great care, no cold take offs, never beat the machine, and have always preformed all of the maintenance on it more frequently than what is recommended so it's very frustrating, considering my hubby has over 7000 miles on his 2013 Ranger 800 and has had no motor issues, just regular wear and tear on normal items with that kind of mileage. I realize it's a different motor but damn. I shall update you guys when I tear into it, may not be for awhile but I will re-post as I find out more.

is retired and enjoying it.

Member #
    Atv Bandit, good luck on your repairs. Last winter mine was extremely hard to start when it was close to freezing. A new spark plug fixed the problem. I hope your problem is something simple like that.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    is feeling awesome.

Member #
    I put in a Lithium battery and it just starts on first spark. I never had issues before, but feel a difference regardless.

is The inner child in us only
    grows with age

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed View Post
    Atv Bandit, good luck on your repairs. Last winter mine was extremely hard to start when it was close to freezing. A new spark plug fixed the problem. I hope your problem is something simple like that.
    I am afraid mine is not that simple new iridium plug, new battery odessey battery this year, and constantly change air filters to keep that clean (even during rides), oil changes every 50 hrs, grease and once over before every ride, we checked all of the basic things fuel system, spark, I mean everything only thing left is a leak down test, which if the valves are bad will show a low reading, so that's next to do on the list. As long as I will probably end up with a low reading I will be digging deep to make sure no other problems are present. I honestly feel that these need more air flow, things are getting too warm and materials on them are breaking down. Maybe I am wrong but time will paint the picture. I still will always have and Ace though, it's just too comfy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links