I'm allowing the radiator to breath a little(A LOT) better!?
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on I'm allowing the radiator to breath a little(A LOT) better!? within the ACE Engine and Drivetrain forums, part of the Polaris ACE Garage category; So I knew from the beginning I would be doing stuff like this as I cant leave well enough alone. Good, bad or otherwise, I ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: I'm allowing the radiator to breath a little(A LOT) better!?

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #

So I knew from the beginning I would be doing stuff like this as I cant leave well enough alone. Good, bad or otherwise, I don't mind being the guinea pig sometimes.

While riding even during cooler to cold(below freezing) temps this past winter, I noticed that the temps always seemed to run on the high end and fan ran a lot. Mostly when slowing to get past narrow gates. I'd watch temp climb instantly and hear the fan kick on. Then watch the temp slowly drop as I got back up to trail speed.

When I installed my winch a couple weeks ago, I removed the complete front plastic grill and that's when I discovered that almost a 1/3rd of the radiator is covered by plastic. At that point I got out my hole saw kit and saber saw and got to work and now have lots of air flow direct into the rad. For the time being I am just using hardware cloth as a grill to keep rocks from doing any potential damage to the fins. But left enough material that I could still get better looking grill screen material to go back in if I want.

So far the most noticeable improvement is to how fast the temps drop into the low 180*'s after hitting 205-210* at stops. Recovery is far quicker than with all that plastic covering things up.

Here's a photo. For me its a function over form thing. Some will hate it, I know...lol

2016 Ace 900 SP

is Addicted to ACE Accessories!

Member #
    I like the looks of it better than the stock grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Black Pearl Metallic 2015 Polaris Ace 570 SP
    • Poly Lock and Ride Roof
    • Overhead Storage Bag
    • Rear Trailbag
    • Poly Lock & Ride Mid Windshield
    • Front & Rear Extreme Brushguard
    • Sport doors with padded liners and matching decals
    • Nerf bars
    • Polaris 2500 HD Winch
    • 12" Polaris LED Light Bar
    • Lock & Ride Rear Cargo Box

This user has no status.

Member #
    I was thinking on something like this after 2 rides with the Ace. I noticed that the fan comes on a lot, even if the temperature is under 5C like now.

I will do the same thing ( or something really similar ). Thanks for posting
    whatwasithinkin likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

is Planning a Hatfield and Mccoy
    trip

Member #
    looks good man, if it works for you thats all that matters

is If I'm not out on the ACE, I
    wanna be...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by whatwasithinkin View Post
    So I knew from the beginning I would be doing stuff like this as I cant leave well enough alone. Good, bad or otherwise, I don't mind being the guinea pig sometimes.

While riding even during cooler to cold(below freezing) temps this past winter, I noticed that the temps always seemed to run on the high end and fan ran a lot. Mostly when slowing to get past narrow gates. I'd watch temp climb instantly and hear the fan kick on. Then watch the temp slowly drop as I got back up to trail speed.

When I installed my winch a couple weeks ago, I removed the complete front plastic grill and that's when I discovered that almost a 1/3rd of the radiator is covered by plastic. At that point I got out my hole saw kit and saber saw and got to work and now have lots of air flow direct into the rad. For the time being I am just using hardware cloth as a grill to keep rocks from doing any potential damage to the fins. But left enough material that I could still get better looking grill screen material to go back in if I want.

So far the most noticeable improvement is to how fast the temps drop into the low 180*'s after hitting 205-210* at stops. Recovery is far quicker than with all that plastic covering things up.

What a great job you did I like it!!!

The screening along with the rivets offsets it quite well! Heat rejection is important for high performance engines. Looking great!
    Last edited by cumminsdieselgt; 05-05-2016 at 11:13 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Looks great!

This user has no status.

Member #
    I did somewhat the same to one of our 325 aces Drilled a bunch of 1 inch holes to get more air through. Waste of time. Rode for two hours with my wife on the other machine monitoring the temps the whole time. Absolutely the same temps on both machines 175 -210 degrees. Most of the time low 180s. May be different on 900 or 570 or in 95 degree heat. I wont change the other two machines/

is In the mood to build more ACE
    custom accessories.

Member #
    Neat, Interesting that it made a difference on the 900 but not the 325.
    2014 ACE
    2015 ACE 570
    Plenty of junk in the trunk.

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #
    I see a major improvement to the recovery time or how fast it brings the temps back down.

I road a Poker Run yesterday. Temps in low 60*f's for the most part. Frequent stops to draw cards. As it does my ACE temps would run from @183*f to @190*f while on the trail and then shoot up immediately to @200*f to 210*f at a stop. Fan would kick on. Before I vented the front plastic the temps wouldn't drop and fan turn off until I got moving again and got cool air passing the rad. Now just the fan running while sitting will drop the temp enough to shut the fan off. A couple times I noticed that when I got back in the cab, the fan was off and temps were @185* to @190*. This was at fairly cool air temps. So this result my likely be different on a 95*f summer day when the dew points are in the high 60's or low 70's making the air like soup.

This kind of mod may not be for everyone. YMMV.

2016 Ace 900 SP

This user has no status.

Member #
    Saw it "live" yesterday, looked badass coming down the trail. Wondered about using a stencil and spraying a logo on the screen before install.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links