How does the rear axle come off?
Close
Login to Your Account
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on How does the rear axle come off? within the ACE Suspension forums, part of the Polaris ACE Garage category; I bought an Ace 150 for my son. About 4 hours into it, he smacked a tree with the front driver side tire. It broke ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ColoradoAce150
  • 1 Post By Insanefreighttrain

Thread: How does the rear axle come off?

This user has no status.

Member #

I bought an Ace 150 for my son. About 4 hours into it, he smacked a tree with the front driver side tire. It broke the front driver side swing arm and bent the back axle.

I ordered the parts and thought that the job looked pretty simple. I removed the back tires and the 3 bolts on each side, holding the axle housing and the retaining clip. It appears that I should be able to pop off the bearing and that housing and remove the axle but it isn't working out that way.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29980
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ColoradoAce150; 03-01-2019 at 12:11 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I haven't worked on an Ace 150..It cant be too much different to every swing arm solid axle side by side on the planet. but the 3 bolts that hold each of the bearing blocks to the suspension frame once removed should let the whole axle move out of the frame C brackets after the chain is removed from the axle sprocket..The whole axle should come free and slide rearward out of the C brackets. The brake caliper might have to be removed and lifted upward off the disc to move the axle backwards. Just cable tie it up out of the way still attached to its line and try not to dislodge/loose the brake pads. A simple mechanics press will get the bearings off the old axle once its out. Just swap the brake disc over and the sprocket and carefully repress the bearing back on to the axle. They might even come off/free if you carefully drop the end of the axle 6 to 8 inches vertically onto a block of wood. Goodluck

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply. This is the first UTV that I have worked on. It does appear similar to the larger machines. So, you feel like I should be able to remove the axle before I remove the bearings? It feels like I have to remove the bearings first but you are probably right. I'm in the middle of a snow storm now. As soon as it lets up, I'll see if I wasn't just "sissy arming" it. Maybe it does pop off. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    UPfreebird likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    It wont take too much to pull it apart..https://www.polarispartshouse.com/oe...sion-rear-axle ...that's a link to a tech/parts picture of the whole axle assembly...https://www.polarispartshouse.com/oe...rear-swing-arm .... same for the rear swing arm it will help you work out what or how its held together. hopefully its the same model as yours. I imagine they make up the whole axle assembly at the factory and it goes into the swing arm almost complete on the assembly line. Snow wouldn't be much fun we get it here sometimes luckily its just on the television news LOL.. Goodluck

This user has no status.

Member #
    That's the diagram that I looked at before I started. It makes it look easy. There is a groove that the bar sits in and the housing on each side holds the bar into place. In order to free the bar from that grove the housings need to move. I'm starting to think that the bearing, inside the housing, is the problem. I'm going to try and heat the housing with my torch and see if expanding the metal will make the bearing pop out. If that doesn't work, I may need to bite the bullet and pay, in labor, what I paid for the vehicle. Thanks again for the advice and congrats on your snowless lifestyle. I'm envious.

Name:  005.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  1.84 MB

This user has no status.

Member #
    Is that the bent axle side? or is just an illusion in the photo? He must of hit the tree with a bit of force I hope he's ok.. I guess the beauty of the Ace is the seat belt, roll cage and high back seat when things go wrong. The bent axle at the bearing might be what's stopping the bearing moving sideways and letting it come apart.. Maybe try the other side see if it will move enough to let it all out. Try a couple of small steel wedges with a very gradual ramp/taper on them between the C frame and the bearing block when you heat it.. It might just pop enough on the unbent section of the axle to spring away from that machined locating ring on the block. Worst come to worst the C piece might bend a bit I cant imagine they are made of much more than mild steel and wont take much to straighten but the axle will be out and repairs can begin then. Goodluck
    ColoradoAce150 likes this.

Sponsored Links