Anyone else starting to wear out suspension components?
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Anyone else starting to wear out suspension components? within the ACE Suspension forums, part of the Polaris ACE Garage category; The Polaris RZR is known for needing more suspension maintenance than ATVs (not sure about other competing UTVs). Estimates for when you'll have to replace ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone else starting to wear out suspension components?

Supporting Member
    is looking forward to the next
    ride.

Member #

The Polaris RZR is known for needing more suspension maintenance than ATVs (not sure about other competing UTVs).
    Estimates for when you'll have to replace stuff range between 900 miles for sand duners and mudders to a couple thousand miles for other riders.
    I got 2600 miles out of my RZR before I started feeling that things were really loose, and sprung for a complete replacement, front and rear. I replaced:
    * ball joints
    * tie rod ends
    * wheel bearings
    * A-arm bushings
    * shock bushings
    I went with Super Daves bushings and aftermarket tie rod ends and ball joints. The total cost was about $1000 in parts and it feels MUCH better.

My ACE is now at 1135 miles.
    On my Paiute ATV Trail trip a couple weeks ago I noticed a bit of clunking from the front end in rocky terrain, which is the same symptom that clued me in to the RZR suspension issues.
    Today I jacked up the front end of the ACE and wiggled the wheels. The right front wheel moved about 1/4 inch.
    The right front ball joint was noticeably wobbly, but cranking a bit on the castle nut seems to have tightened that up.
    I am still getting a tiny bit of a clunk that feels like wheel bearings on both sides, and the right side seems to still be able to wiggle left/right a bit.
    If I stick my finger on the tie rod end boot and wiggle the wheel, I think I can feel it moving a little.

Things are not worn enough yet for me to identify what needs replacing. I figure by 2500 miles, it might be time for me to start replacing things. I jacked up the back end and there was no noticeable wiggle in the wheel bearings or A-arms.
    I'll probably wait for it to get good and loose and replace everything at once again.
    I'm just hoping I can get it paid off first.

Anyone else starting to experience worn out suspension components in the ACE?
    Last edited by Scoundrel; 09-07-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    ------------------
    I sold my ACE and am no longer a moderator on this forum. In fact I'm not participating on this forum at all. Sending me questions about my previous signatures is not likely to generate a response. But if you ask your question to the forum publicly, I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    Keep the rubber side down!
    -=-=-=-
    Check out my UTV Guide to Washington State at http://www.utvadventuresllc.com!
    -=-=-=-

is retired and enjoying it.

Member #
    Scoundrel, I think that I have about 500 miles on my Ace and I have seen no indication of suspension wear. Since I have spacers I am worried about the wheel bearings. I hope that since I don't ride as aggressively as you that my suspension will last longer than 2500 miles. It will take me more miles to accumulate the same amount of fun as you.

Supporting Member
    ride.

Member #
    Riding less aggressively doesn't mean you're not accumulating the same amount of fun per mile.
    Indeed, you might even be harvesting the fun more efficiently.
    I just need to ram the fun more forcibly into my soul in order for it to stick.
    ------------------
    I sold my ACE and am no longer a moderator on this forum. In fact I'm not participating on this forum at all. Sending me questions about my previous signatures is not likely to generate a response. But if you ask your question to the forum publicly, I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

is needing to ride more

Member #
    will your new curved a-arms come with new bushings and ball joints?
    14 Ace
    13 Scrambler 850 LE

Supporting Member
    ride.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 70cyclone View Post
    will your new curved a-arms come with new bushings and ball joints?
    I wish.
    The ball joints are attached to the steering knuckles, not the A-arms.
    The product photo does not seem to include the bushings.
    Also the HighLifter site has this to say:
    Notes:
    Be sure to check for worn ball joints, bearings, and bushings before installation and replace if needed.

Which brings up a good point. Maybe I'll wait until the bushings, etc. are nice and worn out before buying the arched A-arms.
    More money all at once, but I'd only take things apart once and then it would be a REALLY sweet change.
    ------------------
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-

is needing to ride more

Member #
    well when you do have to go down that road let me know. I would be more than willing to come help and to get measurements of parts so I can make my own bushings etc. At the rate I'm putting on miles it will be much longer before I need to tear things apart.
    I wonder what it would take to go to a heim joint for tie rod ends, they are usually much stronger.
    14 Ace
    13 Scrambler 850 LE

Supporting Member
    ride.

Member #
    Sure thing.
    Bit of a drive for taking measurements when you could get them from your machine though, isn't it? I'm 30 miles north of Seattle.
    ------------------
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-

is retired and enjoying it.

Member #
    Scoundrel, in another lifetime when I used to change ball joints on my old pickup I had what I called a "ball joint separator". Below is a photo.

Name:  balljointseparator.JPG
Views: 705
Size:  10.8 KB

My question to you is does removing a ball joint on an ATV require a special tool?

Supporting Member
    ride.

Member #
    I have one of those forks, and in my experience it narfs the boot, which isn't a problem if you are replacing, I guess.
    Half the times I have needed to disconnect stuff, I was replacing the A-arm and not the joint so I cared about boot damage.
    In those instances what worked best was a 5-lb sledgehammer and a 2x4.
    Leave the castle nut on, put the 2x4 against the nut, and smack the 2x4 with the hammer.
    Sometimes when the joint is really floppy I need someone to hold it while I smack it.

Once you get it disconnected from the A-arm, the real fun begins.
    Sometimes you need special snap ring pliers to get the retaining clip out. I don't know if the ACE uses those, or the more annoying kind of snap ring that doesn't have holes.
    if it's the kind of snap ring that doesn't have holes, then a small flat head screwdriver, needle nose plier, and think gloves to keep you from gouging your fingers are in order.

Once you get everything separated and retainers removed, it's still fun. For the RZR, I had to beat the ball joint out of the A-arm with considerable force using the sledgehammer.
    Same went for putting the new one in there.

But in the ACE, the ball joint is in the aluminum steering knuckle, so it's going to be a completely different ball game. I don't know what to expect, and won't until I tear it apart or buy a service manual.

I think a service manual is in my not too distant future.
    ------------------
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-

is needing to ride more

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
    Sure thing.
    Bit of a drive for taking measurements when you could get them from your machine though, isn't it? I'm 30 miles north of Seattle.
    Yeah but that means I would have too take mine apart plus it would give me a reason to hang out with my buddy in bothell. Heck I'm working in Renton today so I make up here often enough.

And you are right about those pickle forks...they can tear boots up pretty easy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links