Recording Voltage
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Recording Voltage

This is a discussion on Recording Voltage within the ACE Lighting, Stereo, and Electrical forums, part of the Polaris ACE Garage category; So I added another 12” light to my front bumper and that got me thinking about the voltage everything was drawing. So I decided to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Recording Voltage

This user has no status.

Member #

Recording Voltage

So I added another 12” light to my front bumper and that got me thinking about the voltage everything was drawing. So I decided to record what voltage each accessory was drawing. For the record I replaced my stock battery with an Everstart ES-TX30LA, 385 CCA. Now the recording. (1) Switch on but not started:12.11v (2) Started but nothing on:14.38v (3) 50w LED headlights on only:14.37v drawing, 0.01v. (4) Two 3’ Led whip lights only:14.28v, drawing 0.10v. (5) Ten 3” led marker lights on the roof only:14.34v, drawing 0.04v. (6) 12” front bumper double row led light bar only:14.29v, drawing 0.09v. (7) 23” front roof double row led light bar only:13.91v, drawing 0.47v. (8) 8” rear roof single row led light bar only:14.34v, drawing 0.04v. (9) Brake lights pressed with two added 3 1/2” flashing single row red/blue lights only:14.29v, drawing 0.09v. (10) MTX overhead audio pod only:14.38, drawing 0.00v. Total voltage with engine on and all accessories including brakes:13.54v, drawing 0.84v.
    UPfreebird likes this.
    “I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne

This user has no status.

Member #
    Tough crowd. Lol
    “I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne

is looking for mud!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-t View Post
    Tough crowd. Lol
    Agreed.

LED's are awesome for power consumption.
    Why does your MTX Audio pull zero volts?
    16' ACE 900 SP

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by UPfreebird View Post
    Agreed.

LED's are awesome for power consumption.
    Why does your MTX Audio pull zero volts?
    Thanks for a reply. Yea I was shocked it was pulling no volts. I also installed a 6 block fuse block and I have each light and radio pod on separate fuses. I did it like everything else; had it on and playing but it didn’t show any volt pull. I tried it three times to be sure.

is looking for mud!

Member #
    Change your music choice from Elevator music to Rock & Roll, turn the volume to 11... then check how much volts it draws.
    16' ACE 900 SP

This user has no status.

Member #
    Your battery at 12.11 volts has less than 50% charge. Your voltage regulator will try to maintain the correct charge voltage to charge the battery, so when you add a draw to the system the voltage regulator compensates for the extra drop.
    You will need to measure the drops without the motor running to get the correct measurement.

Edit: But it does show that you haven't reached the limits of the charging system which I guess is the important thing to know.
    Last edited by rockman; 04-04-2019 at 11:32 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Your battery at 12.11 volts has less than 50% charge. Your voltage regulator will try to maintain the correct charge voltage to charge the battery, so when you add a draw to the system the voltage regulator compensates for the extra drop.
    You will need to measure the drops without the motor running to get the correct measurement.

Edit: But it does show that you haven't reached the limits of the charging system which I guess is the important thing to know.
    Rockman, I did check with the switch on and motor not running. Then turned on the Audio and it did drop 0.01. So, it does draw a small amount but still not what I figured it would. Thanks

This user has no status.

Member #
    I am honestly surprised the audio pod draws that very small amount of amps.. I have never measured the current draw but I assumed it was the culprit in a flattened battery and not being able to start the Ace after listening to tunes for a couple of hours with the engine off.. I did replace the battery with a much larger unit after that mishap so maybe it was just the small factory battery throwing the towel in on that particular day.. call me superstitious but I still wont use the audio pod without the motor running for extended periods it was an awful long walk home to get something to jump start the Ace with..
    UPfreebird likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Well I can say hooked up to the volt meter with the switch only on; and nothing else on except the lighted switches and the instrument panel. If you set there and watch the voltage, it will slowly drain from the battery. So I’d say if you just left the switch on for a couple hours would drain the battery down where it won’t crank.

is looking for mud!

Member #
    I should rewire one of my rocker panel switches cuz the light is illuminated ALL THE TIME.
    I was worried about it when I first picked up the Ace,... but the battery has yet to fail me or even come close to failing so it hasn't been a big priority for me to rewire it. It's a rocker for my front 2 LED lights. When I flip the blue led rocker switch,.. the switch gets brighter when the lights come on. And when I switch it off,.. a dim blue light always remains.

It must be drawing the same amps as your audio radio,...haha!
    16' ACE 900 SP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links