Cheap knee/shin protection
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Cheap knee/shin protection within the ACE Roll Cages, and Safety Equipment forums, part of the Polaris ACE Safety category; After reading the post by Ace-in-one https://www.aceforums.net/forum/44-ac...12-run-sp.html , I took a look at my Ace. In my opinion the dash has some serious safety issues. ...

Thread: Cheap knee/shin protection

This user has no status.

Member #

After reading the post by Ace-in-one https://www.aceforums.net/forum/44-ac...12-run-sp.html, I took a look at my Ace. In my opinion the dash has some serious safety issues. I'm 6'5" and sitting in my ace and sliding forward in the seat like I would in a front end collision, my shins hit the sharp hard lower edge of the dash, so I can see how Ace-in-one was injured so badly.
    I had a fun noodle laying on the shelf so I cut it to fit and drilled some slotted holes in the underside of the dash by drilling three 1/8" holes close together and reaming into a slot. remove the push pins and bring the zip tie up between the pieces and reinstall the push pins, that way there are no visible holes in the dash. Black pipe insulation or even roll bar padding maybe would look better but like I said, the pool noodle was laying in the garage. I thought something more dense would probably be better so I covered it with some thin plastic I had left over from covering some doors I made for my sons buggy. It should keep my knee from going through the foam and still contacting the dash.
    I realize it ain't pretty, but I've sustained my share of injuries while off roading, so I can deal with the looks.Name:  0702161453.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  1.56 MBName:  0702161454.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  1.32 MBName:  0702161832.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  1.22 MB

is In the mood to build more ACE
    custom accessories.

Member #
    Smart move, I should do the same. What is that directly next to the ignition key (right side)?
    2014 ACE
    2015 ACE 570
    Plenty of junk in the trunk.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Smart move, I should do the same. What is that directly next to the ignition key (right side)?
    I have a cheap $50 harbor freight winch installed, that is the remote. I have it tethered to the key, and velcroed to the switch hole cover to make it easy to access and to remove.
    I broke my back when I flipped a quad on a steep hill, and it took over five years for it to heal, leaving me with constant back pain and somewhat limited movement, so I'm a little more cognizant of how an accident can change your life than most guys are. When I broke my back I was laying on a hill unable to move my legs, I was never so scared in my life as when I thought I was paralyzed. Then I slid down the hill and the pain hit me, and I curled up in a fetal position, that's when I realized I wasn't paralyzed. When I read Ace-in-ones post and what he was going through I remembered what I went through. If I had any sense at all I'd give up off road riding and just be thankful I'm still walking around (which I am). I did give up riding for a long time because with my back pain I couldn't ride a handlebar machine anymore and frankly, didn't want to take the risk of falling off again. An older friend and trail riding enthusiast who has weakness due to childhood polio told me about the Ace, and I decided it might be the answer. I treat the Ace more like a backwoods mobility scooter than as a fast dirtbike or quad. I'm just glad to be able to ride something in the woods again, I bought the Ace because I thought it was the safest option on these narrow trails, but I can see now, how that corner at the bottom of the dash could really do some damage, and I don't need anymore damage. LOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

is Ready for some muddin action

Member #
    Glad you got back on the horse and did not give up on getting back out on the trails. That padding should def help out, could also use a set of motocross knee/shin guard's would be a good option for taller riders as well.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Spec View Post
    Glad you got back on the horse and did not give up on getting back out on the trails. That padding should def help out, could also use a set of motocross knee/shin guard's would be a good option for taller riders as well.
    That's not a bad idea I was thinking the same thing. I do still have my old motocross boots, but they really don't come up far enough to protect me, and frankly I don't really want to go trail riding inside a buggy, in motocross boots.

is Tired and soar from installing
    all the accessories

Member #

Wish I had done this

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodace View Post
    After reading the post by Ace-in-one https://www.aceforums.net/forum/44-ac...12-run-sp.html, I took a look at my Ace. In my opinion the dash has some serious safety issues. I'm 6'5" and sitting in my ace and sliding forward in the seat like I would in a front end collision, my shins hit the sharp hard lower edge of the dash, so I can see how Ace-in-one was injured so badly.
    I had a fun noodle laying on the shelf so I cut it to fit and drilled some slotted holes in the underside of the dash by drilling three 1/8" holes close together and reaming into a slot. remove the push pins and bring the zip tie up between the pieces and reinstall the push pins, that way there are no visible holes in the dash. Black pipe insulation or even roll bar padding maybe would look better but like I said, the pool noodle was laying in the garage. I thought something more dense would probably be better so I covered it with some thin plastic I had left over from covering some doors I made for my sons buggy. It should keep my knee from going through the foam and still contacting the dash.
    I realize it ain't pretty, but I've sustained my share of injuries while off roading, so I can deal with the looks.Name:  0702161453.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  1.56 MBName:  0702161454.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  1.32 MBName:  0702161832.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  1.22 MB

I know this is an old post but I'm glad I came across your post. It's been on my mind ever since the accident. I never sold the Ace and it's been sitting in storage ever since. It's got 35 miles on it and barely broken in. They say you should get right back on the horse when you fall off but honestly the anxiety I got from just looking at the ace was no joke. I don't know what I would have done if one of our forum brothers wasn't with me the day it happened because I would have never been able to get out alone. I think what traumatized me the most was when the doctor told me my leg wasn't receiving signals from my brain and there was a strong possibility that I would not walk again. God is good and blessed me with the ability to get off the crutches after almost 10 months. It took lots of rehab and a couple of months to learn to use and most importantly trust my leg again but I'm here, I'm walking and looking for a solution to get back on the horse with very little chance of smashing my newly rebuilt leg aginst the dashboard again. If you read this, do you feel that the pool noodle will stop your leg from snapping from the impact?
    You can't pour syrup on shit and call it pancakes!!!!!!!!!

is In the mood to build more ACE
    custom accessories.

Member #
    Glad to hear you've made good progress since your accident, I have yet to add the noodles. I probably should but since I'm only 5'9" I feel like my 4pt harness does the trick, I should add it for when I have larger people in it. I have to believe a harness and noodles would help soften the blow at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 ACE
    2015 ACE 570
    Plenty of junk in the trunk.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I bought the 5-point harness and glad I did I think it's saved me from some bad physical damage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links