Anyone install the Desert Craft Seat Suspension Brackets?
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Anyone install the Desert Craft Seat Suspension Brackets? within the ACE Seats, and Restraint Systems forums, part of the Polaris ACE Safety category; Last night I installed my Desert Craft Brackets in my OEM ACE seat bottom. Wasn't to difficult. I watched the RZR install video a few ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Anyone install the Desert Craft Seat Suspension Brackets?

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #

Last night I installed my Desert Craft Brackets in my OEM ACE seat bottom. Wasn't to difficult. I watched the RZR install video a few times. It helped a little. I would like to see Desert Craft do an actual ACE seat install though. As they are similar, like as they are both seats in Polaris vehicles, but in reality they are quite different. Not so much for me, mine are done, but for anyone else who may find the RZR install confusing if you attempt to follow it to the letter. The supplied installation sheet is also confusing to follow as there are steps include in it for the RZR seat that don't apply to the ACE. Mainly there are extra steps for RZR due to there being more OEM parts involved from the factory. And the orientation photo's were almost black from being photocopied to many times, so those were useless.

One question I have for anyone else who does have or have had this bracket installed, was there any problems with the bracket breaking thru the plastic seat base?

My concern is from the fact that with the brackets you no longer have the full length support of the OEM seat frame and are now relying on a single piece of @ 1"x 3" steel on each side. Maybe not a problem, hopefully. But my other concern that goes with it would be cold weather riding. Below 32*f or 0*c and some plastics become very brittle.

Maybe I'm over thinking it....it happens, lol.

2016 Ace 900 SP

is retired and enjoying it.

Member #
    I have had these seat brackets installed for about a year and have not had any issues with the mounting brackets puncturing the plastic seat base. I live in East Texas and it does not get terribly cold here. I have ridden in the high twenties and that is about as cold as I will ride. It occasionally gets into the teens but I don't ride then.
    whatwasithinkin likes this.

is Waiting for the next ride

Member #
    Had mine on for almost a year now and no problems at all. Just make sure to use Loctite on the screws
    2016 RZR 570 EPS Trail with EBS and turf mode
    Sunset red
    Quadboss roof
    F+R windshields
    Polaris cargo box
    Polaris low profile front and rear brushguards
    SS212 wheels
    Maxxis ceros tires 26X9X12 and 26X11X12
    20 inch light bar
    Badland 3500# winch with Moto-alliance winch mount
    Mudbusters fender flares
    Highlifter 2 inch lift kit
    Polaris A Arm Guards
    Yearban piggyback shocks

Departed friends
    2001 Kawasaki Bayou300 4X4
    2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    2015 Polaris Ace 570

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed View Post
    I have had these seat brackets installed for about a year and have not had any issues with the mounting brackets puncturing the plastic seat base. I live in East Texas and it does not get terribly cold here. I have ridden in the high twenties and that is about as cold as I will ride. It occasionally gets into the teens but I don't ride then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    Had mine on for almost a year now and no problems at all. Just make sure to use Loctite on the screws
    Okay good to see that you both have these without issues. I get bored when I tinker and put too much thought into things...go looking for issues where there aren't any.

And I did glob the blue paste locktite on everything with a thread.

Thanks all.

2016 Ace 900 SP

This user has no status.

Member #
    I agree that the instructions are kinda confusing. I watched the vid clip a couple of times, read the instructions that came with the suspension package and still got confused. So I called the number on the instruction sheet and they were very helpful. It helped that I have a phone in the garage, so I was right there and had the parts and the seat in front of me when I talked with them. The only problem I ended up with was changing the spring from the front to the middle of the bracket. The spring would not fit over the lock nut, so I moved it back to the front and now have one spring on the rear nut and one on each front nut. I like that it puts me a bit higher because it seems to give me a bit more leg room (I'm 6'2" with long legs).

I also got my UNI filter in and installed it (yes, I remembered to oil it first and grease the front where it slides into the manifold). I also ordered the pre filter sleeve, which should be here next week, and the foam to replace the pre filters on the sides. What the heck, it's raining out, so it's a good time to get everything done and get ready for riding when the weather clears up.

My next project will be checking the toe in/out.

rth
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Just finished installing this, and it was quite a pain in the azz!

Well, to be honest, the actual installation of the brackets wasn't difficult at all. It was getting to the point where the brackets could be installed! The most difficult part is removing the rails from the seat bottom. As with others, the rivnuts in the seat frame spin when trying to remove the four T27 torx bolts. Yes, all of mine spun. I spent an hour or more screwing around trying to hold the four rivnuts so I could remove the T27 torx (I tried holding the collar with sandpaper, screwdrivers, a hacksaw blade, and several other instruments), I gave up and finally hit it with a sawz-all sliding the blade between the seat frame and the rails and cut each T27/rivnut.

Damn that was a pain! You must be careful of the sawz-all blade because it will bugger up your seat very quickly if it's rubbing against it.

Turns out that's what I should have done an hour or so more ago. Thankfully I had plenty of metal blades - burned through about 2-per rivnut. Then I fired up the grinder and ground off what remained of the rivnut collar and then "punched" the rivnut back into the hole and removed them that way.

Once the rails were off, the installation of the Seat Suspension system itself was a breeze.

Re-assembling the seat rails back onto the frame was somewhat involved. I spray painted the friction marks from the sawz-all on the seat frame, installed new rivnuts (1/4 - 20) without an installation tool (see Youtube) and substituted 1 1/4 inch 1/4-20 hex-head bolts for the T27s that were holding the rails on. I screwed an extra nut (and small washer) up against the head of each of these bolts so as to "lift" the head high enough out of the channel of the rail so as to use a ratchet to tighten the rails back onto the seat frame.

All-in-all, was about 2, 2.5 hours, but then again my "shop" (aka garage) isn't the most organized.

My recommendation: Before you begin: 1) Remove your seat and try to remove the rails. If you discover that the rivnuts spin (i.e. you turn and turn and turn and the T27s don't come out), then you're in for quite an adventure. You have to then "go medieval" on it and follow the procedure above.

If you're up for it, then make sure you have some extra rivnuts (I used 1/4-20) and some hex-head bolts of the same size (mine were 1 1/4" long). Also ensure you have a dozen or so metal "sawz-all" blades, a grinder, and plenty of patience. (A beer or three and some good music helps (I was listening to the Orchestral Version of Baba O'Riley (aka "Teenage Wasteland") from Pete Townshend's Lifehouse Chronicles) to keep me calm...).

In the end, after you've played around with the various spring settings according to the documentation provided, the ride is noticeably smoother!
    Last edited by rth; 04-03-2016 at 08:34 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I guess I got lucky as none of mine spun but I took it very easy when removing the torx screws .

Yes,
    The ride is better but I also just on new progressive shock springs but haven't gotten a chance to ride with them on yet .

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Same here being lucky with the screws not spinning too. Other than being confused by the directions and the video, once I discovered where I went wrong, it was a real easy install.

2016 Ace 900 SP

This user has no status.

Member #
    Just installed the suspension seat brackets. Great product. Here's my review/info in another thread:
    https://www.aceforums.net/forum/30-ac...html#post57441

This user has no status.

Member #
    I know this is an old post but can someone confirm that this mod will give more leg room. If so how much. I am 6'4" and love my ace but as you can imagine I search for all the leg room I can find. By the way I expect and can handle the tall and goofy jokes...........
    2015 Ace570SP
    2017 Honda Pioneer 500
    2018 Polaris Sportsman 570

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links