New member from SF/Bay area
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on New member from SF/Bay area within the Introductions forums, part of the Polaris ACE News category; Hi, New to the forum, name's John. I'm considering a 570 Ace (or maybe a 900 Ace or XC). I've been looking on craigslist, and ...

Thread: New member from SF/Bay area

This user has no status.

Member #

Hi, New to the forum, name's John.
    I'm considering a 570 Ace (or maybe a 900 Ace or XC). I've been looking on craigslist, and these puppies are pretty scarce in California. I find them dotted around in Nevada, Oregon and Washington, and a bunch in Arizona. I'd gladly by one from out of state, but I worry about getting it registered here in CA with our #@$%! emissions laws. Our DMV website is pretty ambiguous about the requirements. A dealer in Arizona was concerned I'd have trouble if I bought from outside CA.... Anyone here ever successfully bring one over from out of state?
    Thanks for any input!

PC.
    This user has no status.

Member #
    As long as the smog tag on the vehicle states the machine meets CARB standards then I dont think you'll have any issues. I'm not too savvy on UTV's, but I do know the Japanese dirt bike OEM's used to make CA specific model (choked up to pass CARB standards) and another model for the other 49 states (uncorked, full power), but they got away from that decades ago and now everything is made to meet CA standards. I would assume Polaris operates the same way, but I don't truly know.

I haven't lived in CA since 2006, but I can't imagine the DMV has gotten any easier to deal with. Or cheaper!
    Good luck to you

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks PC. At some point (can't remember where) I heard or read that although everything meats CARB standards these days, companies don't label all their vehicles with the CARB stickers - because California nails them with a fee for that sticker.... Not sure if that's true, or how they would track it, but it sounds like something the CA DMV would do. I'm hoping that an individual (me) who bought a used OHV from someone other than a dealer could get by this. I did it once with a street legal bike without too much of a hassle, but I think it has to have ~ 5000 miles to be considered used. Not sure what the requirements are for an OHV. Anyone from California have first hand experience with bringing in an OHV/UTV from outside the state?
    Last edited by JBeasty; 01-13-2020 at 06:58 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Welcome to the forum from NC.
    “I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne

Sponsored Links