Polaris Accessory HMW skid plate VS Factory UTV UHMW skid plate
Close
Login to Your Account
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Polaris Accessory HMW skid plate VS Factory UTV UHMW skid plate within the ACE Accessories forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; Does anyone have any experience on either of the skid plates? The one from Polaris Accessory Item # 2880543 goes for $339 and the Factory ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Polaris Accessory HMW skid plate VS Factory UTV UHMW skid plate

This user has no status.

Member #

Does anyone have any experience on either of the skid plates? The one from Polaris Accessory Item # 2880543 goes for $339 and the Factory UTV goes for $438.90. Looks like the Polaris skid plate is 3 pieces, so i would assume install is easy. But i hear stuff that even though made by Polaris, their accessories do not fit perfectly. I have experience with the Factory UTV for my kids RZR 170 and don't have any complaints. I was just looking to save $100 if possible.

is looking for mud!

Member #
    The good thing about a UHMW skid plate,... is that you can easily drill a hole into it if need be for proper fitment.
    Might as well save yourself $100.
    Most likely the same material and same material thickness as the OEM.
    16' ACE 900 SP

This user has no status.

Member #
    Got me thinking. Wonder what the cost would be to have a piece of diamond plate metal fabricated and copied from the bottom skid plate. We have a great fabrication shop about 40 minutes from me. Be interesting to see what they would charge to copy and cut.
    “I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

is looking for mud!

Member #
    Why use diamond plate in an area that you cannot see until you roll over or jump something?
    Plus a skid plate should be able to slide on things. Diamond plate will grip.
    Just my 2 cents.

I 'was' going to draw up the main skid plate the other day when I put my winch and plow mount on.
    But one damn bolt refused to budge from the main skid plate. But at the time I didn't need it off. I just wanted it off.
    However, when the winter season is over and I take the plow mount off,.. I'll be sure to take the skids off and duplicate it.

Of course that is of no help to anyone today tho.
    16' ACE 900 SP

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yea I understand what your saying about the diamond plate thing. I guess it could hold with the ridges unlike plastic or aluminum. Good point.
    “I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne

is looking for mud!

Member #
    I was just snooping online for skid plate drawings,... and realized that I am missing the small front skid plate on mine.
    Hmm. I wonder if it had to be removed to add the front bumper?

That's what you get when ya buy used,... ya just never know what's been done or changed to a machine.
    16' ACE 900 SP

is looking for mud!

Member #
    https://fixmytoys.com/pol-2880543.html

HMW Skid Plate Underbody 2014-2019 Polaris Ace 500 570 900 SP 2880543 OEM

$299.00
    16' ACE 900 SP

This user has no status.

Member #
    Green,

I purchased the ACE 900 SP under armor from Trail Armor and I like it, but it was $400. When I replace it (it has taken a beating racing and has quite a few gouges in it already), I will purchase some UHMW plastic and make my own at about 30% of the cost. I traced the ones I have now and will just use it as a pattern. I didn't do this initially because I didn't have time to get it done before my first race in 2018. It has held up really well and I will use plastic every time because of the lighter weight and ability to bend and return to shape when it hits a rock rather than bend permanently like my old ATV swing arm protector.

V22Driver
    UPfreebird likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by UPfreebird View Post
    The good thing about a UHMW skid plate,... is that you can easily drill a hole into it if need be for proper fitment.
    Might as well save yourself $100.
    Most likely the same material and same material thickness as the OEM.
    I think both the Polaris OEM Aftermarket brand and Factory UTV brand are made of plastic=aka UHMW. I was wondering about fitment issues and coverage. But i also hear what your saying about the ease of making it fit. Thanks for the feedback

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by UPfreebird View Post
    Why use diamond plate in an area that you cannot see until you roll over or jump something?
    Plus a skid plate should be able to slide on things. Diamond plate will grip.
    Just my 2 cents.

I 'was' going to draw up the main skid plate the other day when I put my winch and plow mount on.
    But one damn bolt refused to budge from the main skid plate. But at the time I didn't need it off. I just wanted it off.
    However, when the winter season is over and I take the plow mount off,.. I'll be sure to take the skids off and duplicate it.

Of course that is of no help to anyone today tho.
    Not to mention noise with the aluminum/metal skid plate...I can imagine a lot of chatter/noise coming from it vs a UHMW where if any noise would be muted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links