Custom made hand controls
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Custom made hand controls within the ACE Modifications For The Disabled forums, part of the Polaris ACE Safety category; Been for a couple rides in my new XC now. Loving it. It gets plenty of air without killing my back thanks to the suspension ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Renegadevtwin
  • 1 Post By MaxximusDesimus

Thread: Custom made hand controls

This user has no status.

Member #

Been for a couple rides in my new XC now. Loving it. It gets plenty of air without killing my back thanks to the suspension and suspension seat.
    Dialed in the shocks and found 2 clicks makes a big difference. Custom hand controls in prototype raw form worked near flawlessly.
    Disassembled, cleaned up, a few tweaks, and off to the powder coaters they went.
    Going to reassemble and take more pics. Here are some pics of them fresh from powder coating. Thought they deserved new stainless hardware.
    Square channel goes in place of tilt wheel adjuster shock. Curved part is throttle behind the wheel like a paddle shifter.
    Larger rod is brake and has a nice handle from an old set of sure grip hand controls, I had around.
    Missing from photo is brake and throttle stainless threaded and heim jointed rods.
    Please excuse the weld job on the brake pedal. We could have made it over and pretty but chose not to.
    The brake went back to the drawing board several times hence to cobble job.
    More to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    900XC - Dragonfire XL suspension seat, custom harness lockdown bar, Beard 4-point harness, Polaris front and rear bumpers,
    Full custom made hand controls and more work/mods in progress.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Forgive me for asking very delicately, but do you NEED hand controls or is it a personal preference over the usual foot controls? Only ask because you mention you already had few rides & never read anything from previous posts.
    Contemplating a flight style steering yoke with steering quickener & hand controls but just too many mods going on as is to try tackle it. Look forward to seeing the finished install!

is Ready for some muddin action

Member #
    Nice job man, you got it pretty much like the set you found a pic of on the web, should be a good setup for you. Looking forward to seeing the all mounted up.
    Still putting the final touches on my hand control setup but it should finally be done this weekend... will post some pics soon
    2015 570SP
    STI HD beadlocks
    Interco Reptile radials
    SATV 1.5" forward A-arms
    Warn HD 2500 winch
    Polaris extreme front bumper
    EZ-Steer RZR 800S EPS
    Custom quick steering
    DFR 3" racing harness
    DFR quick release hub
    Custom half windshield
    Custom alum roof
    Garmin GPS
    Motobatt 30 AH battery

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    MaxximusDesimus, Sorry for the confusion. I started a new thread so this would not be lost on page 4 or 5 of the thread titled polaris ace mods for the disabled
    My intro and history are on page 4 of this thread: https://www.aceforums.net/forum/32-ac...-disabled.html
    Yes I need hand controls. Rode with the prototype bare metal controls then took them off, tweaked them and had them powder coated.
    Reinstalling them tonight then going to the Marienville /Timberline, PA trail system tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by Renegadevtwin; 06-09-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    900XC - Dragonfire XL suspension seat, custom harness lockdown bar, Beard 4-point harness, Polaris front and rear bumpers,

This user has no status.

Member #
    I got the powder coated hand controls installed today. Turned out good. Also got rotopax 3 1/2 gallon gas can mounted.
    Here are some more pictures for those that may need to build/replicate similar controls in the future.
    These are stronger, more user friendly and tucked farther out of the way than possible with any store bought controls.
    Although they were a considerable amount of work; they are about the same amount of work as it would take to adapt some prefab controls.
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Professor Fate and M-Spec like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the link, missed where forum section was devoted specifically to riders with some form of disability...was a very interesting read!
    Still can't believe no manufacturer has stepped up yet to deliver something built specifically for you guys & gals Much respect to you all for the mods, rest of us can learn a lot from your ideas!

The hand controls interest me from years of owning ATV/snowmobiles. I never feel fully in control with the foot controls in the ACE, almost feels out of place. I'm sure hand controls would make the ACE more enjoyable.
    When first got word of the ACE, actually thought it would have handlebars with brake & thumb throttle. That would work great for both disabled & able-bodies! Nice work all!
    M-Spec likes this.

Sponsored Links