Brake/Starter Interlock Safety Switch
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Brake/Starter Interlock Safety Switch within the ACE 570 forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; I have a 2016 570 SP with about 400 miles on it. Was riding today with my wife and at first everything was normal and ...

Thread: Brake/Starter Interlock Safety Switch

This user has no status.

Member #

I have a 2016 570 SP with about 400 miles on it. Was riding today with my wife and at first everything was normal and fine. While riding I noticed that it appeared my headlight had quit working as I can normally see them reflect off of my front brush guard and the trail we were on was in the shadows and I should of been able to see the lights on. Not an emergency but I mention it as it may play into what happened next. We go to the end of the trail and I stopped at the intersection of the more main road. I shut off the Ace so I could talk to my wife that had pulled up beside me. I this point I had not noticed any warning lights on the dash. When I went to start the engine, the engine would not crank over. Acted just like it does if you don't have your foot on the brake, but I had my foot on the brake. I assumed that I was having problems with the brake/starter interlock safety switch or what ever lets the ECM know that you don't have your foot on the brake when attempting to start the engine. As a quick test, I had my wife check to see if the brake lights came on when pressing the brake with the key on. The brake light did not come on. Also checked all the lights and found that the headlights were also not working.

I assumed that a wire had come loose and looked around for any loose wires/connections. Were unable to find anything that looked out or order. We were many miles from our truck and everything seamed normal when you turned the key on (other than the lights issues) and I figured if I could somehow get the engine started I could drive out as opposed to having one of use go get the truck and try to get it back into where we were at. I found I had fairly good access to the electrical connection on the starter and so I removed the seat so I could access the battery. I had a set of home made jumper cables that I had made for my wife's motorcycle in the bottom of the air box on her bike. I got the cables out and hooked one end to the electrical connection on the starter and with the key on, touched the battery post with the other end. The Ace started right up. I kept it running until we got back to the truck. Once the Ace started, I noticed a warning light on the dash that I have never seen while riding. I was not even sure what the light meant, but looking in my owner manual after I got home I see it is called a EPS warning light. It stayed on the whole time I was riding back to the truck. Other than the warning light and the lack of brake and head lights, the Ace ran fine on the way back to the truck.

Currently the engine will not crank over. With the key on, there are no warning lights being displayed.

Now for my question: Is there some sort of brake/starter interlock safety switch and if so, where is it located. I assume something came unplugged/unhooked and it causing my problem. Or what else should I look for to resolve this issue if it is just a smile matter of plugging something in or hooking up a loose wire.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The brake light switch is the starter safety interlock. If you don't have any dash lights or headlights or tail lights then you must have something else wrong. I would check the fuses and relays first.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Update: Once I got cleaned up and had a chance to go out and closely look things over in my shop, I found and resolved the problem. A stick or branch some how hooked the wires going to the left headlight. The result was that the bulb was broken and the leads to the filament got pushed together which created a short taking out the 20 amp headlight fuse. What I didn't know until now was if that particular fuse is blown you not only lose the headlights, but also the brake lights and some how the ability to crank the engine. Removal of the broken and shorted headlight bulb and replacing the fuse and everything works and it should. Tomorrow I will get a new headlight bulb and several extra fuses. Will also build a set of jumper cables for my Ace similar to the ones I built for my wife's bike to keep in Ace just in case. They I just use 10 or 12 Gauge THHN and small clips so they take up very little room when rolled up and can be a real life saver if needed.

Just speculation on my part, but I now guess that there may not an actual brake/starter interlock switch (similar to the clutch interlock switch used on many motorcycles and manual transmission cars) but the ECM (or whatever Polaris calls it) looks for the brake lights before it will allow the engine to crank. In any case, if it ever happens again I know to check to see if the headlights and brake lights work and if they don't to resolve it before I can get the engine to crank. If that does not work, I can always hook up a wire directly from the battery to the starter to get it cranking.

Just glad I was able to get the Ace started today even if I did it the hard way as I would of felt pretty stupid if I would of had to go get my truck and drive those several miles on that narrow and rough road to get my ace when it was just a shorted headlight bulb and blown fuse away from starting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the input Rockman as you are on the right track, but as you can see I got it figured out. You reply must of came in as I was typing the above update as your reply was not visible to me until after I posted my Update post. All is well that ends well.

is Planning a Hatfield and Mccoy
    trip

Member #

They do from my have a brake switch located on the right front inner wheel well , right off the master cyl , and to start the ace it has to complete the circuit a jumper in case of failure would be a good item to have stashed back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "you cant fix stupid.. but you can fix ugly"
    "when in doubt pull out"

2017 Polaris Ace 900 XC, lock and ride roof
    2017 Can-AM DS 90X
    2011 Honda TRX 250x

Sponsored Links