Owners review of 2016 Polaris ACE 900 SP - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Owners review of 2016 Polaris ACE 900 SP

This is a discussion on Owners review of 2016 Polaris ACE 900 SP within the ACE 900 SP forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; Originally Posted by Plateauman57 So between a 2016 900 and a 2016 570 you would choose the 900?? I did. I'd hope no one figures ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Owners review of 2016 Polaris ACE 900 SP

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Plateauman57 View Post
    So between a 2016 900 and a 2016 570 you would choose the 900??
    I did. I'd hope no one figures my decision into their valuations.

My use is likely quite different than most. I have an 80 acre ranch that's on a butte that's 2/3 oak/cedar and the rest native grass. It's rather rugged with some places so steep you can't walk them. I've built a 30 X 40 Mueller building that's spray foam insulated and divided into living space and garage. I have a couple well-appointed hunting blinds that I presently walk to but will likely drive an ACE to one day. I'm never far from a fuel supply. My wife has a 2014 570 ACE we bought used with 70 miles. I prefer the 900 but if I was covering long distances I might be more interested in tankering fuel.

I traded in my 2002 FXSTDI along with some cash for the 900. My town had grown to the point commuting to work wasn't safe. I've already put more hours on the 900 than I did on the Deuce all of last year.

Name:  DoubleD.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  97.6 KB

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks. I've ridden a few 50-60 mile rides but for the most part my rides are under 50 and gas is not that far away and I've carried gas plenty of times back in my atv days. The last 7 years I've owned side by sides but ready to go smaller. Definitely will stay away from the 2017 900. Too wide.

The 570 sp I'm looking at is camo which call me silly but the paint job on a unit means a lot to me and I love the camo. Plus it has $1,600 in accessories on it including front and back windshield, front and back bumpers, roof, nerf bars, lower door add ons, and a gun boot. All for right at 8k. The only problem is its 4 hours away and most dealers don't care to service those that don't buy from them. Put u at the end of the line every time.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Plateauman57 View Post
    The 570 sp I'm looking at is camo which call me silly but the paint job on a unit means a lot to me and I love the camo.
    Understandable. I would have considered a 570 but the blue and red really turned me off...just hard to look at.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmiji View Post
    Understandable. I would have considered a 570 but the blue and red really turned me off...just hard to look at.
    I agree about those colors. My dealer found me a 570 sp camo, finally. Took delivery yesterday. Will post more pix when they finish stalling the 2,500 worth of accessories I bought on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This user has no status.

Member #
    Is there anything that can be done about the heat in the cab on the Ace 900? I contacted Polaris but they seem to be ignoring the issue. after about 30 minutes my leg seems to be on fire. this might be good this winter but I bought it for year round riding. this would have been a deal breaker if I had known how hot it gets. when its 90-100 in Kansas the last thing I need is a heater i cant shut off.
    Ace 900...

This user has no status.

Member #
    I like the camo! I would have first purchased a 2016 570 but Abernathy had NONE and no one really deals around home where $500 off MSRP is a GREAT DEAL!! But then, why would I buy a 570 SP (MSRP $9999) when I can get a 900 SP at $7994? Fuel mileage is not quite a deal breaker. Longer trail range is nice but I'm not that interested in fuel economy when I play. That concern is only for driving to work! Besides, having 2 RZR 800's I'm used to bad fuel mileage. At least with the ACE 900 I'll get some power for that fuel mileage!!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Greetings all, I purchased a 900 a couple months back and wanted to provide some feedback.

Background

I'm in my mid-40's, was raised on motocross bikes and ATVs/4Wheelers. Still have a few of the originals that I can't bear to part with. Have owned a Yamaha Rhino, and last October purchased a new 2015 Commander 800XT. (Yes, the 800 - and it was intentional). The majority of our riding is in WV on the Hatfield McCoy trail system, or in TN at Brimstone, Windrock, or Royal Blue. We ride a variety of trails but generally seek out the harder, more technical and challenging in nature. No desire to play in the mud holes, but dragging the winch out to drag yourself up a steep section is not unusual.

Why Ace?
    Ride closer to home. I live in central Ohio and the bulk of our trail miles (Wayne National) are still officially restricted to 50" (you can get by with 54" usually - but no Commander). Our state forests now permit 62" machines, but the actual trail miles is very small in comparison - even when Perry Forest is taken into consideration.

Why the 900?
    Price. I couldn't find a 570 for anywhere close to what I paid for the 900. My main objective was a narrower profile machine for tighter trails.

Off the trailer impressions - overall:

Engine - sounds great, lots of low-end, and power regardless of speed. Needs very little throttle to move the machine. Could be dangerous in inexperienced hands.
    Tires - adequate at best. Side walls do not provide much confidence off-camber or from rocks.
    Suspension - Seems soft and comfortable considering the size of the machine.
    Driving position - Overall, pretty good, seated a bit lower than I'm accustomed, but the seat and steering wheel adjustments help.
    Fit and Finish: Most of the gaps are consistent and line up, no glaring issues. I do have a slight misalignment on the driver's side rear bed area. It looks like the entire mold for the cargo area is slightly warped.

Initial concerns/nit-picks:

Both O-rings holding the headlights were broke.
    Alignment and steering wheel WAY off due to rack not being centered.
    Wow they run hot and force a lot of heat onto your legs when the fan operates.
    No preload adjustment on front. I knew this going in.

50 Mile Update:

Engine - loosening up, runs better all the time - still taking it easy, but you can tell it has gobs of low-end. Oil and everything still looks great.
    Suspension - Handles pretty well considering the wheelbase and heft of the engine in the back. Comfortable on the trail at moderate speeds, but don't expect to go pounding whoops unless you wanna end up on your top.
    Steering - Love the power steering - it's greatly weighted for tighter trails. Not a fan of the steering ratio.
    Fuel Consumption - 52 miles and between half and a quarter. Remember, this was with a very light foot, doing what I call a mild to moderate break-in.

90 Mile Update:

NOTE: I added Polaris bumpers and top, and 14" rims with 26x9 ITP Terracross tires all the way around.

Engine - Incredibly quick off the bottom and into mid-range. Don't at all notice the extra weight/height of tires and accessories. Much like a 4wheeler, you can float the front-end with the throttle.
    Clutch - Engages butter smooth. My Commander is somewhat jerky in comparison.
    Suspension/Tires - The better tires and extra width definitely helped with the overall comfort and stability. The extra weight may have hurt the front suspension a tiny bit when really trying to push it hard through the rough stuff (very rarely). A trade-off I'll gladly accept for the smoother ride and peace of mind.
    Fuel Consumption - I ran it just past 80 miles and it took right at 5 gallons to fill it back up.

Current Impression:

It's an absolute BLAST. I giggle and laugh out loud every time I take it out. You can loaf along and look at the scenery and barely hear the engine, or put your foot in it and get beads of sweat on your forehead as the scenery blurs. It requires a good dose of common sense and is definitely not for an inexperienced rider.

I think it's a great machine for normal trail riding - assuming you take the range restrictions into consideration. At moderate trail speeds it soaks up all but the biggest/sharpest bumps pretty well. It climbs like a mountain goat, and didn't blink at the heft of the new tires/accessories. Given the current width restrictions in my area, I feel very fortunate to have snatched a narrow profile 900 at such a steep discount.

If you have no width/budget restrictions - look to the 2017 XC. Anyone think we will ever see a (new) 50" 900 Ace?
    16 Polaris Ace 900 SP
    16 Polaris RZR 900 Trail
    86 Honda TRX 250R

This user has no status.

Member #
    From OhioAce900SP:
    "It's an absolute BLAST. I giggle and laugh out loud every time I take it out."
    Funny, I was the same way! We bought 2-900SP in August for my teen daughters. Before we bought the second ACE 900, I had a chance to really ride the first one near home along some hunting trails near a river. Ended up with mud in my mouth because I couldn't stop smiling and laughing had such a good time on the machine! That's when we decided to get another one before all the 900's were gone. The thing is a total blast to ride! Even with the suspension limitations it still handles the rough stuff well because I never backed out of the throttle that day. Seriously happy with the performance.
    2016 ACE 900 SP (x2)
    2016 RZR S 1000
    2019 Ranger 500

This user has no status.

Member #
    I agree with Highpocket and would add on the con side low ground clearance. After riding some rocky trails here in Colorado that are boulder fields it could use taller tires and maybe a two inch lift.
    We are getting around 13.+ miles to the gallon (GPS miles). The ride is much better than i thought it would be and it has crazy power compared to my pumped up 750 Kawasaki in the higher altitudes. It does put mud in the cab, have ordered extended fender flares. Rode a friends 570 for about 50 miles and the comparison is night and day between the 900 and the 570 in power and my wife said it rides better than the 570. I have noticed that she and the Ace is much dirtier than i am at the end of the ride, it seems to take the dirt from the trail and put it on her and the back of the Ace. Just an observation since i am riding a Kawasaki 750 a head or two higher than she is sitting in the ace.
    Over all this is a great machine so far ( 210 miles) if anything changes we will post it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    It does put mud in the cab,
    That's one thing I do not like, the splash of mud and water from front tires onto leading edge of back fender by seat, then on driver. It could be worse but still don't like. Maybe I can add some cheap autozone mud flaps to front fender to help. My girls don't seam to mind it that much though!

First ride out on national forest trails they did really well but were still on the conservative side. Second ride out they were cruising down the trails!! I was a happy dad!!!
    2016 ACE 900 SP (x2)
    2016 RZR S 1000
    2019 Ranger 500

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links