Voltage Regulator Issue??
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Voltage Regulator Issue?? within the ACE Talk forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; On the last trail ride our group had found a water hole to play around in, and yes we did partake, why is it so ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Voltage Regulator Issue??

This user has no status.

Member #

On the last trail ride our group had found a water hole to play around in, and yes we did partake, why is it so much fun to run around in 3' deep water? After everyone had their fill of getting wet we set back out on the trails, late in the day the Ace shut down on the trail and had a dead battery, so out come the tow straps and we tow it back to the trail head and push it onto the trailer. Get home and hook up a battery charger to it overnight, next morning it starts up fine as if nothing was ever wrong, except the volt gage is at 11.8. Ok so we toasted the VR? Later in the day I had to run up to the neighbors and since the Ace is out I fire it up and now the volt gage is reading 14.4. I've run it around the place for a week now with the volt gage on and sometimes it reads in the 11's and other times its in the 14's. Shouldn't this be reading in the upper 12's/13's even with the battery charged?

This user has no status.

Member #
    My voltage reading is always 14.4 volts at idle & 14.1 volts during the day with no lights on. Even with headlights, 32" light bar, 6 cube led lights & lots of led strip lighting turned on, lowest I've seen is 13.1 volts.
    Maybe voltage regulator is ready to go? If bend wires to one side looks like just enough space for water to slowly work it's way in then most likely evaporates when VR warms up for issue below.

When I wash ACE & move it while dripping wet, there's a very loud clicking(not relays) & voltage reading sometimes jumps around. Actually sounds like the electrical demo's where electricity visibly arcs between two transformers.
    Done that since new & no signs of sparks or burning so assumed water getting in plug connectors. After ACE idles for 10mins. it's fine & never have issue while riding. Will silicone around the VR wiring just to be safe.
    js5020 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    We have never had any issues with the Ace in 3 yrs. I also was not the driver, and before shutting down on the trail last outing we never had the volts selected on the spedo so I didn't know its behavior,,, I'll just order one up it may not be fried but it doesn't seem to be working as it should by your description.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Just a follow up and resolve of the problem. Voltage regulator was the problem.

This user has no status.

Member #
    In my opinion, EVERY Ace with the Voltage Regulator mounted in front of the wheel will experience this at some point, even if you wash it after every use.
    The only way to avoid it is:
    1) relocate the VR
    2) construct some sort of guard to keep out mud and still allow air flow
    3) drive on pavement for the life of your vehicle.

At $250, this is not a cheap part, though it's easy to swap out. It also will leave you pretty much completely stranded, as there is not a work around when it fails. Sometimes you can let them cool off and it will run for a while, but it seems once they overheat and drop voltage, they are destined to die. Carrying a spare and the necessary tools is your best defense.

This is a definite design issue in regards to where they put it, and they really should be on the hook for replacing dead ones.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterMark View Post
    In my opinion, EVERY Ace with the Voltage Regulator mounted in front of the wheel will experience this at some point, even if you wash it after every use.
    The only way to avoid it is:
    1) relocate the VR
    2) construct some sort of guard to keep out mud and still allow air flow
    3) drive on pavement for the life of your vehicle.

At $250, this is not a cheap part, though it's easy to swap out. It also will leave you pretty much completely stranded, as there is not a work around when it fails. Sometimes you can let them cool off and it will run for a while, but it seems once they overheat and drop voltage, they are destined to die. Carrying a spare and the necessary tools is your best defense.

This is a definite design issue in regards to where they put it, and they really should be on the hook for replacing dead ones.
    I totally agree SkeeterMark! Added a regulator protector to mine and haven't had a problem since. They are on Ebay. It's a quality kit.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwestrider View Post
    I totally agree SkeeterMark! Added a regulator protector to mine and haven't had a problem since. They are on Ebay. It's a quality kit.
    Is that what it's called?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Member #
    Temporary Homemade shield until the longer harness arrives, going to relocate the VR/R to inside cab. Name:  5583B4CD-8BC3-4E00-B832-3BEA0ABC4A51.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  1.20 MBName:  6A3F4AFB-5661-4EC6-8361-809F45EC0FB8.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  1.17 MB
    Last edited by Mudder2; 08-02-2019 at 03:19 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Has anyone found a cable to relocate the OEM vr/r? Ordered one but it did not fit. Still looking.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Google voltage regulator for Polaris ace, Mofset voltage regulator with 69 centimeter harness. Just put it on mine last weekend in the cable is much longer. 77$
    Mudder2 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links