Building a Polaris ACE 900XC Desert Racer.....
Close
Login to Your Account
Hello Guest, if you're reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second, Click here to register and in a few simple steps, you will be able to enjoy all the many features of our fine community. It's quick and free. You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.
Polaris ACE Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Building a Polaris ACE 900XC Desert Racer..... within the ACE 900 XC forums, part of the Polaris ACE Forums category; Gents, Although I am far from done, I said I would update everyone on what I have done to my 2017 Polaris ACE 900XC to ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By V22Driver

Thread: Building a Polaris ACE 900XC Desert Racer.....

This user has no status.

Member #

Gents,

Although I am far from done, I said I would update everyone on what I have done to my 2017 Polaris ACE 900XC to race. I have to say after racing it 2 races (1 short 35 mile local race and the BITD Parker 250 (160 miles)) I am still learning how to race it, but it is a blast to drive!!! I will try and chronicle my build, but unfortunately I didn't take pictures of everything and some pictures might not tell the whole story so questions will have to be asked. For those welding afficianados, my welding is what I would describe as functional not pretty. Here is what she looked like when I got her from the showroom floor and what she looks like now:
    Name:  2017 Polaris ACE 900XC B&A.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  1.02 MB

This user has no status.

Member #
    The first thing I did was put in a PRP XC normal seat and a PRP 5 point harness system. The seat was a direct plug and play and makes the ACE so much better for anything. It holds you in place with no sliding or issues at all. The 5 point harness is not for claustrophobic people as it straps you to the machine with very little movement. I learned a rear view mirror is a must as turning your head very far is almost impossible. Here are the pics of the seat/harness install:
    Name:  5 Pt Harness Install 1.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  607.9 KBName:  5 Pt Harness Install 2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  576.1 KBName:  PRP Seat Instal 1.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  429.6 KBName:  PRP Seat Install 2.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  480.9 KBName:  PRP Seat Install 3.jpg
Size:  497.9 KB

This user has no status.

Member #
    The next thing I did, while waiting for my new roll cage from Toys for Big Boys, was to build a front bumper. I made it out of 1.5" rolled steel I purchased online and surprisingly not very expensive. Took me about 2 days to fabricate what I wanted then cut and weld it all. I think I will add to it in the future, but for now, it will do. Here it is:
    Name:  Bumper Build 1.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  537.9 KBName:  Bumper Build 2.jpg
Size:  593.6 KBName:  Bumper Build 3.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  575.1 KBName:  Bumper Build 4.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  577.7 KBName:  Bumper Build 5.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  556.4 KBName:  2017 Polaris ACE 900XC 9.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  785.4 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    AceForums.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ordered my new roll cage from Toys for Big Boys after seeing it here on the sight. Emailed a few times and Kevin was having a few issues with personnel so instead of 4 weeks it took 6 weeks, but it finally arrived and I eagerly unpacked it.
    Name:  Roll Cage Inbound.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  483.4 KB
    Unfortunately, it was built for a 900SP instead of the 900XC, so my first race was without the rear bumper. It worked fine and while I waited for Kevin to send me some bungs to extend the rear bumper, I went ahead and installed it.
    Name:  Roll Cage Removal.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  500.2 KBName:  Roll Cage Install.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  561.2 KB
    After I got the parts from Kevin, I cut the lower bumper bars and welded in the new bungs. I still need to get it powder coated, but I didn't have time before the Parker 250 race so another thing to do.
    Name:  Roll Cage Bumper Fix 1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  598.5 KBName:  Roll Cage Bumper Fix 2.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  508.8 KBName:  Roll Cage Bumper Fix 3.jpg
Size:  534.7 KB
    You might be able to see it on the first picture where I built a custom bumper hitch using the ACE hitch location to mount the lower bumper arms.
    Here is how it looks from the rear fully installed.
    Name:  2017 Polaris ACE 900XC 7.jpg
Size:  635.0 KB

This user has no status.

Member #
    My projects tended to run together and I would do parts of each every chance I got. I custom built my nerf bars, loosely based off of some nerfs I saw on the net. I needed a place to stand to get into the ACE and also wanted some protection for the ACE.
    Name:  Nerf Bar Build 1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  597.5 KBName:  Nerf Bar Build 2.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  475.9 KBName:  Nerf Bar Build 3.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  514.3 KBName:  Nerf Bar Build 4.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  455.2 KBName:  Nerf Bar Lt Side.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  572.1 KB
    I am not sure if I like them completely, but they do the job although my rattle can paint job needs to definitely be redone.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The doors were probably the hardest thing and most time consuming project so far. I looked all over online for doors and most manufacturers are very proud (cost about 4 times as much as I spent) of their products so I decided mine were going to be another DIY project. I looked all over online to see what people had done and found a guy that had made doors for his Ranger out of EMT (electrical tubing) so I figured as cheap as EMT is why not try it first. Fabrication was the hardest as I was winging it the whole time. I purchased an EMT bender but only used it a little bit as the angles were just too hard for me to figure out. Many ideas scrapped and finally 20 hours later I had a non opening door panel for racing. I used 3/16" UHMW plastic sheeting for the doors and cardboard for my template (which was a good start, but ended up being trimmed on the final product). Picture 2 is an idea that was scrapped for picture 3 for more interior protection.
    Name:  Door Build 1.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  564.4 KBName:  Door Build 4.jpg
Size:  575.8 KBName:  Door Build 6.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  576.2 KBName:  Door Build 7.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  608.5 KBName:  Door Build 8.jpg
Size:  713.5 KBName:  Door Build 8.jpg
Size:  713.5 KBName:  Door Rt Side with Fuel Filler.jpg
Size:  523.6 KB

This user has no status.

Member #
    Other mods I made were to add the S&B air particle separator (I work in aviation and totally understand the damage dirt and sand getting into the engine can do) which ended up being a DIY project as they don't make a separator for the ACE. After emailing back and forth with Brandon from S&B, I purchased the RZR 900 kit. I spent a few hours trying to figure out what to buy to install that would go from the 1.75" air cleaner on the ACE to the 4" tube on the separator. Many emails and head scratchings later, I decided to just cut a hole in the ACE bed box and cut the S&B hard tube down to the size I needed to fit the ACE. Luckily, it worked and I also installed a switch in the dashboard to turn it on and off rather than have it turn on whenever the key is turned on. So far it has worked, although Brandon stated he didn't like all the tubing I used and would rather see less 90 degree turns and he wanted me to cut the hard tube and rotate it upwards. I didn't have time and didn't feel that it was required just yet so I haven't tackled that yet. I hope to see them at the UTV World Championships in April and hopefully they will have some other ideas for me. I have rotated the actual separator upwards since I first installed it also.
    Name:  S&B Particle Separator Build 1.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  497.6 KBName:  S&B Particle Separator Build 2.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  461.9 KBName:  S&B Particle Separator Build 3.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  479.1 KBName:  S&B Particle Separator Build 4.jpg
Size:  585.5 KBName:  S&B Particle Separator Final Install 1.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  508.0 KBName:  S&B Particle Separator Final Install 2.jpg
Size:  468.8 KBName:  2017 Polaris ACE 900XC Interior 5.jpg
Size:  457.5 KB
    Last edited by V22Driver; 01-15-2018 at 12:10 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I also called and talked to Trail Armor and unfortunately their full skid plate was only checked for the 900SP. They were supposed to try and get a 900XC to try the fitment of their skids to see if they matched up, but time got short and I couldn't wait any more so I purchased it anyway. I was slightly disappointed in the fact that they say on their website that it is 1/2" thick, but I measured it and it is only 3/8" thick unless they see it differently than I do. I would have made my own (and I will in the future since I have theirs to use as a template) but cost wise to ship UHMW sheets is astronomical and since the cost difference btw Trail Armor and making my own was less that $100 I opted for the easy way. The fitment is fine, but I am not sure if the holes are exactly lined up for drainage and maintenance, but I remove it after every race to clean anyway so they don't matter. It did take quite a few hits in the Parker 250, but only a few long scrapes that I need to talk to Trail Armor about how to fix them. Overall I am happy with it and it seems to do its job pretty well. I also purchased some 3/8" UHMW sheet (small 24" x 24") and made my own front skid plates. They worked well and I wish I had made some for the rear because the front of the rear A-arms got trashed by the rocks and chipped all the paint off. Other projects I completed was to extend the fuel filler to the top of the door for easy fueling.
    Name:  2017 Polaris ACE 900XC Interior 2.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  518.7 KBName:  Door Rt Side with Fuel Filler.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  523.6 KB
    I also built a fire extinguisher quick release holder on the left side of the seat.
    Name:  FE Mount.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  740.9 KB
    Last edited by V22Driver; 01-15-2018 at 12:23 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Other mods I have in the works are:

Adding a 5 gallon external fuel tank in the rear to double the range
    Putting on DWT wheels and tires - going up to 14" wheels and 28" tires
    Window nets
    RT Pro HD Tie Rods
    Rear Trakmotive CV HD axles (especially if I get a sponsorship from them)
    Door Bag on the left side to hold my water bag and survival equipment
    I have gotten with Trinity Racing and they will be bringing out an exhaust and tuner for the ACE 900XC at the end of February
    Going to mount an emergency fuel Rotopax pack on the left side in the bed
    Going to change out the OEM steering wheel for a quick disconnect steering wheel
    Adding a 16" convex rearview mirror
    Adding a light bar on the front for night racing
    Adding a rear facing LED light bar for racing in the dust (so I don't get run over by the Trophy Trucks)
    I have spoken to Elka and Walker Evans about new shocks and springs and they assure me that they are in the works and will be out shortly (in testing/prototyping now)

I am sure there will be more changes, but that is all I can think of for now. Next race is in April and should be a blast racing the Desert ACE!!!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Here are some more pics after I cleaned her up.
    Name:  2017 Polaris ACE 900XC 2.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  682.6 KBName:  2017 Polaris ACE 900XC 8.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  675.8 KBName:  2017 Polaris ACE 900XC 5.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  521.3 KBName:  2017 Polaris ACE 900XC 6.jpg
Size:  595.2 KBName:  2017 Polaris ACE 900XC 3.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  700.4 KB

Sponsored Links