Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only want an inch lift, Im considering fabricating a collar spacer for the spring. I have access to aluminum tubing, just cut it an inch or so, any thoughts?

also, i just read about strut failures, do these happen still on 2016 n newer?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Could give it a try ... would not cost much to find out. The 2016's have the updated stronger struts so your good to go there.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You can use pvc pipe for a spring lift. That is what I have on my Ace and had on my Ranger when I sold it. People have been using it for years. You can split it and force it on there and you don't even have to take the springs off. Just use a compressor or a couple of straps and pull some slack in the springs and pop them under the big washer that supports the spring. There is a coupler that is the correct size for the front. Just cut it in two and you have a right and left.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know, im dieing to get it out, havent ridden it yet. Just bought it and im selling the wheels n tires new, new tires/wheels still on the way

Reactions: Vinny

·
Registered
72 Posts
jrubicon - what plumbing fitting is that your using? That looks pretty good and think I'd like to try that out when I do spring maintenance on my ace.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
go to lowes, and go to the pvc department. i forgot what it was but it was part of a longer pvc tube with seal thing. this is one piece that will give u 1.25 spacer

Reactions: AK_Ace15

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am not a big fan of jacking your springs to get a lift. That is a hillbilly way of raising the height of your vehicle and totally screws up how your suspension is supposed to work. Down travel is just as important as up travel. When you ride or drive around with your suspension topped out, that translates into a rough ride and a machine that gets sketchy at speed. That being said, your Ace can certainly handle one inch of preload on the front spring. I believe the spring rate on the front of the Ace is on the light side and in stock form, the Ace likes to dive. Normally we would control that by dialing in a few more clicks of compression damping but on the Ace, we cant do that. The band aid fix is more spring preload. As long as you don't overdo it, you will probably like how your Ace handles and gain a little more clearance. Putting pieces from the plumbing section at Lowes in your suspension? Well that's your call. It will certainly give other guys something to talk about when the they see you on the trail or when someone comes to buy your Ace. It is a very economic way to try different preloads until you find what you like. Then have them made out of metal.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You can get alum tube pretty easy these days, I would def go that way instead of plumbing parts, my brother is a licensed plumber so I showed him the plumbing parts lift ... he thought it was creative but not a good material for that as it can crack/split under load and is brittle when its cold. Then we thought the worst thing that can happen is they snap off, you will just be back to normal ride height on one corner no big deal.

Still alum tube is just as cost effective... hmmm I have some kickin around in the garage, may have to make some up too

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have seen pvc used as lift kits on struts for years and I have never heard if it breaking.

And don't knock the handling. It works just fine.

If you naysayers had tried this stuff and had a problem I would give you some credibility but you haven't. If you want to pay 40 times as much for a piece of aluminum that does the same thing go for it. It will give us pvc lift kit guys something to talk about when we see you on the trail.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is what I use and it is 3 position adjustable within seconds. Talk about it all you want. They weren't expensive. IMG_0525.JPG

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think they are great and I am glad for you.
PVC cost maybe a couple of bucks. Last time I checked those adjusters were $60+. No not expensive but my pvc does the same thing and I can go to the hardware store and get it and have it on there in a few minutes. I did mine differently than the op and you wouldn't even know it was on there unless I pointed it out.
Both ways are great as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have seen pvc used as lift kits on struts for years and I have never heard if it breaking.

And don't knock the handling. It works just fine.

If you naysayers had tried this stuff and had a problem I would give you some credibility but you haven't. If you want to pay 40 times as much for a piece of aluminum that does the same thing go for it. It will give us pvc lift kit guys something to talk about when we see you on the trail.
Its less than 20 dollars in aluminum pipe and 40X stronger ....you do the math lol. I would never use plastic plumbing parts for a lift in any vehicle ever.... but it may save you 14 dollars

·
Registered
505 Posts
Easier, quicker, plenty strong. You do the math.

Schedule 80 coupler in 1.5" which is what I use is rated at 1050# collapse pressure so compression rating would be that much or more. The bottom out compression is taken by the donut and the shock ends and body so spring load is all the weight that would be on the plastic.
The bed in my Ranger is made out of plastic. It is rated to haul 1000 pounds.
The bracket that holds your brake pedal in your car is probably plastic.
They make wheels and tires for military vehicles out of plastic.
Some crash helmets are made out of plastic.

I too was skeptical until I tried it.

Metal looks much more cool though. LOL.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Might have to look into a Lowes plumbing lift for my Tacoma. Just kidding. The one advantage I do see with plastic spring spacers is they will be quiet. Ever since I installed those stainless Polaris preload adjusters, I have some squeak action up front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts