Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first let me say I have read as many posts about not starting as I can find and have been unable to find the issue.

What I have tried. I took it to a local shop. They called me and told me that the fuel pump is not getting power and there is no spark and the gear position sensor was out. They said the ECU needed to be replaced. I had my RZR in the shop at the same time so I could only really afford to fix one of them. So I had them fix the RZR. I brought the ACE home. I bought a used ECU and replaced it.(Same model from a running machine **Dealer**). Still nothing. No spark, or fuel pump kick on. I removed all the plastics pulled out my pressure washer and removed any and all mud I could find. I got out my test light and went to checking grounds. The coil has no power coming to it. (of note when the test light is reversed to positive pole and I connect to the black or white wire the fuel pump and other electrical kicks on???)

The check engine light is on but no codes are displayed.

battery replaced two months ago.

I was thinking maybe voltage regulator? (IDK how to test it)

OK prior story; A building at my mothers house caught fire and burned down. My brother was loading burnt up debris onto the trailer. I left it with him so he could use the winch to drag stuff up. I came to pick it up and it wouldn't start. I used the winch to get it onto the trailer. Got it home and parked it. My next day off I came out to look at it. The battery was low. I pulled the battery and replaced it. The ACE started right up. I loaded it onto trailer and took it out for a ride. I ran it for about 4 hours and was perfect(many times turned off and on). I trailered it took it home. Wouldn't start again. I took it to a shop.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Have you checked all fuses, not just look at them but use a tester? Do you know for sure the ECU is good. Don’t trust dealers. Trace the main wires from the battery backwards to see if something is loose. Besides that I have no idea! But it irritates me when no one responds to a post. So I thought I would at least acknowledge you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would start by checking connections and for power where the positive battery connects to the solenoid . Follow the positive battery cable to the solenoid and start checking connections and make sure you have power there and try to follow the power wires .

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Since its starting and running on a fresh battery and then after a few hours it dies I'd have to believe it has something to do with your charging system or voltage regulator. When the battery gets too low it wont run

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went over all the fuses with a voltmeter. They all tested good. Each connection on the fuses has power.

It started only that one time after I replaced the battery hasn't ever started again. I will pull the battery out these upcoming days off and let it charge(not in atv) then put it back see if it will start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem with my 900 ace. If the fuel pump doesn't click when you first turn the key on and you don't have spark, you my friend have the same problem I had. Good news it's an easy fix.
There is a "fused connection" that runs in the main wire harness on the left side next to your seat that runs into the fuse box. It's just three wires that are linked together with a rubber booth. Mine was all green corroded when I cut open the main harness you could see the green like a sore thumb.
You could jump the fuel pump relay and the one next to it to give it spark if I remember correctly. Just to make sure that is your problem. Let me see if I can find some pictures. I ran an inline fuse with mine, but i don't think that was necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have tied all of yalls suggestions. Nothing has worked so far. What I can say from testing. If I put a light tester on the fuel pump it will come on. If I bypass the ecm the coil will fire. But only if I bypass them. I also found a snipped wire on top of my engine. I pulled the plug and resouldered new wire to the plug and reconnected it. Still nothing from the machine.no spark or fuel pump activation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine did a similar thing the original battery started to die but was still almost working properly.. I have a trickle charger set up in the shed when it gets parked so every night it gets fully charged about mid-afternoon same deal would start throwing the check engine light and not start would crank half heartedly but no spark no fuel pump.. The battery tray welded to the chassis must be out of a different model Polaris I just found the biggest battery that would fit in that space and no more drama. One other time did it did a fuse and same deal nothing worked I don't know why nothing was shorted it just blew put a new fuse in and away it went.. Another time I pulled up and turned it off and the thing wouldn't start checked this ,checked that ,gear lever here, gear lever in another spot, checked fuses wasn't until I realised the brake lights weren't coming on that I twigged it was the brake light switch had crapped out pulled the wires bridged it with a piece of wire and away it went it lives above the left hand wheel as your looking at the front of the ace...... I would charge your battery and see if it runs again... that will cut it down to regulator/stator/loose damaged wires and or battery.. Good luck..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a ace 330 and started just fine the other day. But I shut it off and now it acts like the battery is dead. Just clicks and barely turns the engine. I put a new battery in and does the same crap. Do starters just go out like this? And how do you remove the starter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts