Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I found myself glancing at my little ACE and thinking that one year had passed since I took ownership of the white lightning. It had been an exciting day with lots of post buyer regret. The regret was so stiff I nearly forfeited my deposit in the time period it took the dealer to prep the machine. I had proudly loaded her in the back of my chevy 1500 (actually overloading it) after dropping a load of cash (almost more than I had paid for the truck itself) and promptly went to find some mud.

After the first two miles of trail riding I was hooked. In fact I rode so hard (High Gear Only, Does it have a low gear?) I nearly vomited from seasickness. She’s still in good shape minus the bent rim, torn stickers and thin layer of mud that doesn't seem to come off. I imagine the strut is about to brake at any moment (based on other posts), so I’m trying to engineer a trail dolly of some sort. I have spent over 500 miles in the cockpit, driving it like I stole it (after the brake-in period lol). I'm usually a little sore after a days riding, I'm not sure if it is from my driving style or my aging body, or the 2 hip surgeries. I envision how a new seat will be the answer. I have been the poster child of accessories, buying or building almost all of them; minus doors and roofs which I think would make me feel like I should have bought a jeep instead (IMO). I have been completely happy with the power and performance until I daydream about one with the bigger engine, then I craft craigslist ads and nearly sell if for $7k (it would have sold but I was too greedy and wanted a little more to cover the cost of the winch).

So I dream of 900cc SXS and bigger ACEs but then I snap back to reality. The ACE 325 is safe, as much as I get all 4-wheels off the ground with this little thing, I cannot imagine how dangerous I’d be in the larger machine. I have two young kids and now is not the time for me to be cruising the woods with my right foot to the floor. But I cuss when I’m at the dunes and it takes me sometimes TWO tries to make it up the largest hill. I also wish I could strap my little man in a seat to my right and bounce him along the trails, but I know deep down it would rattle his little brains and whiplash his little body. So I’m content with my little ACE, it gets about the same gas milage as the 570, it revs a little high, and it’s a blast to ride. I read posts on here about it losing tons of value but then I see other posts where people are actually interested in buying the small ACE (for the right price of course), I also notice that Polaris is still selling/making the 325 in 2016. So I am going to keep enjoying my little machine because if they didn’t have bigger ones, I’d be completely satisfied. Cannot wait until my next ride!

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm with you, sometimes I think about a bigger motor and then when out on the trails I say what for. It goes plenty fast for trail riding, enough power to take me anywhere I want to go, gets good gas milage. I find it very easy to service and so far I have just over 2000 miles and have had no problems. I do not beat the crap out of it but will go anywhere I want to. She took me all over Colorado and that was some rough riding for sure. The "Upper Italian" was easy in the Ace. The big machines had some rough spots to get through. Still loving my machine.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I think the 325 would be perfect for my area and am actively looking for a deal so my recently retired father can ride along but the things are way too cool to see for less than $5k in Austin.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I definitely dream of more CCs, but like Vinny says, I get enough air with what I got. I'm probably going to hurt myself with much more. Vinny how do the paddle tires do with the "little" Ace? Been thinking pretty hard about getting those.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I definitely dream of more CCs, but like Vinny says, I get enough air with what I got. I'm probably going to hurt myself with much more. Vinny how do the paddle tires do with the "little" Ace? Been thinking pretty hard about getting those.
The paddles do well, basically I can do what I was doing in AWD in 2WD. They really kick some tail in the short climbs even if they are steep. The long climbs are still tricky, sometimes I think I don't feather the pedal enough and then they dig in too much. I've noticed that sometimes pumping the gas and going at an angle plus avoiding spots where other people got stuck is the key. I think we have some big dunes, but I've only been here and in Oregon so I don't have much to compare. I have doonz with moose rims. I still put it in AWD on our largest dunes if the sand is really soft. Our sand doesn't contain any gravel and is fairly soft with sometimes a decent base about 6-8" down I ride through the muddle beach area as well. Getting out after a rain storm or colder temps is when the sand is the easiest.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a horrible back, try one of those heated braces with lipo batteries, less than 50 and they really help. i also use a crazy creek chair in the seat at times for more support.
i love your tales of the 325. I think if you ever get a chance to try one you might also like the 570. I had that motor in RZR. reliable efficient, quick. The Ace 570 comes up from time to time for a good price. i Would definitely pick up a 500/325cc for the right price, the weight I bet makes it very spritely. I remember saying over and over when I had the 570 that its favorite Speed was 27, I bet the same is true on the 325.
great post, thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts