Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, really need some help. I purchased a 2014 Ace 325 from a dealership about a month ago. Since I have owned it the battery will not charge. I have changed the alternator(stator), the battery, and the regulator/rectifier With OEM parts,.. out of disbelief I have two NEW of each of the listed parts... the stator, rectifier, battery,. The stator passes the resistance tests, outputs properly, and no shorts to ground. I am confident the stator is working properly IAW service manual.
The rectifier outputs 13V at cold start and after first throttle it drops to 9V and stays there throughout ride. I have 2 brand new oem rectifier/regulators I have tried them both to the same result. I also have 2 oem batteries I have tried at full charge. After about an hour The battery dies and the machine shuts down. I have sanded down my grounds to make sure of good contact and I am out of ideas..

I have 0 accessories I have 0 modifications to the machine.

if it is worth noting.. I bought the machine with 0 output from the rectifier so that was my first replaced part. After changing rectifier the alternator began making a clicking or popping sound... almost like a bad engine in an old truck. The new rectifier outputted 13V at cold start idle.. then dropped to 9 after any engagement of throttle. I changed stator and weird noise remained.. I know it’s from the stator because if I unplug it it stops. I then bought a second new battery because I know sometimes you get screwed with bad new parts.

I am assuming I have voltage draining to ground after the regulator but I cannot figure it out. Please help. Sorry for long post.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The ACE's are known for burning up voltage regulators due to where they are mounted. Never heard of an alternator going out. They easily put out enough to fry a clogged voltage regulator. I'm wondering if you got a faulty voltage regulator. I moved mine after a friend fried them on two machines about the same time. I got him new ones off eBay and they have worked for the past couple of years. He moved his also. I welded a plate in front of the left rear tire and mounted it there. Not even a need to extend the wires.

My friend extended the wires and mounted his on top of his rigs. I wanted to keep mine as nice looking as possible.

I hope you find the problem. I have a 570 and a Rzr trail 900. My friend had a 570 and 900 ACE.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Stator aside. I know you said it doesn't have any mods but did it at any stage? Check that there isn't any "ëxtra" wiring been tacked onto it for something thats been taken off like a winch or driving lights etc. If it has the standard plastic skid plate check there isn't any damaged or speared from rocks or sticks wiring touching the frame. check the earth wires are all still there and not corroded etc. Humour me but charge the battery and check its fully charged and good to go also the voltage regulators aren't super awesome even when new. Is the flywheel damaged or have broken loose parts or its keyway etc ok?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stator aside. I know you said it doesn't have any mods but did it at any stage? Check that there isn't any "ëxtra" wiring been tacked onto it for something thats been taken off like a winch or driving lights etc. If it has the standard plastic skid plate check there isn't any damaged or speared from rocks or sticks wiring touching the frame. check the earth wires are all still there and not corroded etc. Humour me but charge the battery and check its fully charged and good to go also the voltage regulators aren't super awesome even when new. Is the flywheel damaged or have broken loose parts or its keyway etc ok?
I think you’re on to something, I noticed there were holes drilled into the front of the machine and top of the roof.. about where I would put light bars or something.
I will take the battery out and charge for a few days before next testing. When changing out the stator I did not see anything worn on the flywheel but I did not look too closely at the gears surrounding it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ACE's are known for burning up voltage regulators due to where they are mounted. Never heard of an alternator going out. They easily put out enough to fry a clogged voltage regulator. I'm wondering if you got a faulty voltage regulator. I moved mine after a friend fried them on two machines about the same time. I got him new ones off eBay and they have worked for the past couple of years. He moved his also. I welded a plate in front of the left rear tire and mounted it there. Not even a need to extend the wires.

My friend extended the wires and mounted his on top of his rigs. I wanted to keep mine as nice looking as possible.

I hope you find the problem. I have a 570 and a Rzr trail 900. My friend had a 570 and 900 ACE.
I will try relocating it “inside” the cab, and will fab some kind of a cover.. do you have it totally sealed or did you put any kind of air inlet on the cover.
i put another one on order.. will change them again maybe I am just burning through them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It doesn't take much to keep the dirt off the regulator a simple plastic flap just to deflect the dirt away from it in the standard location will work short term. It wouldn't take much to lengthen the wires and move it up out of harms way. Dont seal it up in a box or similar as it needs air to keep it cool. use a small brush to clean the fins and they last for ages.I keep an old tooth brush handy for the job.. In the standard position they get covered in mud and they don't last 2 rides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts