Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 which we just had the ECU flashed by RVS, new K&N filter and Big Gun full exhaust. Before the work I was starting to have some problems with the engine dying when coming off the throttle and hard to start and run when cold. Now I get a engine light and it is very hard to start cold. When backing it out of the shop if I lift off the pedal it dies and is very hard to start. The battery voltage was 14.2-14.3 when running at idle. Yesterday I noticed when I give it some RPM in neutral the engine light would go off.

I have read a lot about the voltage regulator causing all kinds of problems and ours is the original. I just ordered a new one but was also wondering about the fuel sock in the tank. I have never opened it up to check it. I was also thinking of spraying some sensor safe carb cleaner in the throttle body to see if there is some debris in there causing a problem but figured I would see what the VR does first. It was just odd that after the upgrades I started having the engine light and it only happened after adding the new air filter. I did pull the VR connection wires apart and it was very clean with no corrosion.

Just throwing this out there to see what others think.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was in the mountains a few days ago when my engine light came on briefly while driving along - bouldery river crossings etc. Engine was hot as expected for the work being done but nothing out of the ordinary when the fan kicks in. I did feel a power decrease - i was loaded up with some gear, more than normal and wondered if the Ace was struggling? I have the original VR still fitted and a secondary after market VR wired in - plug in as required. After turning off the engine and carrying out some checks, restarted and all was back to normal. Had the Ace since new, now only 3000km - but those are all hunting trips, no playing around! So with your issue, doesn't sound like the VR is the problem with that voltage? Check the spark plug not fouled?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed a new spark plug when I replaced the back pan and exhaust with the upgrades as it is much easier to do then. It was doing the dying part before that so I don't think it is related. I started it up to move it out of the shop a couple days ago and I think I saw on the dash a HV 18 code which I assume is high voltage. I ordered an aftermarket unit that came in and on Sunday when it is raining I plan on putting it in to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I learned a lot today. First my voltage regulator might have been bad or it could have just been my throttle cable too loose. The throttle cable was probably 1" loose or close to it. I couldn't believe how much quicker it responds now with wide open throttle not to mention a lot of new performance parts. The throttle cable has probably been causing me problems since we bought it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts