Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents and ladys. When i turn right there is loud knocking/clicking on the right rear sounds internal. CV maybe? Or worse...anybody else have this issue? I might believe it gets quieter or goes away after riding trails for a while and all day. But i may be tripping. Any who im running 30" mongrels (almost a street tire) with 2"lift if any of that matters. Thnx. Cheers

·
Registered
309 Posts
Others might disagree with me here but 30” is a lot more stress on the clutch and bearings. A friend of mine had put larger than normal wheels and tires on his. He had problems with his clutch (had to be replaced) and was constantly replacing bearings. Let us know what you discover.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear that. And you are right about added stress. But regarding the clicking, it also did that with the stock 26" tires that were on prior lol
Thnx for the input

·
Registered
309 Posts
My 2015 came with stock 25” tires. Huh! Planning to go to 26” when I purchase new ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whenever you add a suspension lift you can definitely expect the life of the CV joints to be compromised. They’re designed to operate within the range of the stock OEM ride height and suspension travel. Increasing the ride height increases the working angle of the joint (especially at the extreme ends of wheel travel) and the added stress of larger tires also adds to the potential for CV joint failure. I do appreciate the benefits of a suspension lift and/or larger tires, but I also realize there’s usually a price to pay (durability) when you deviate from the stock configuration.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Whenever you add a suspension lift you can definitely expect the life of the CV joints to be compromised. They’re designed to operate within the range of the stock OEM ride height and suspension travel. Increasing the ride height increases the working angle of the joint (especially at the extreme ends of wheel travel) and the added stress of larger tires also adds to the potential for CV joint failure. I do appreciate the benefits of a suspension lift and/or larger tires, but I also realize there’s usually a price to pay (durability) when you deviate from the stock configuration.
Completely 100% agree.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thnx all for the posts, but it started knocking/clicking with the stock tires before i put 30"s on it. The noise remained after i put bigger tires. I think its enternal. I was wondering if anybody had any issues with enternal knocking while turning as described? Noise goes away after driven a bit. Thnx

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and the lift is only the 2" spacer block in the front struts. The noise is in the rear. The rear is not lifted, all stock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It very well could be a axle I would think. Sometimes they snap and click for a long time before breaking. But I would think with 30" rubber you would of snapped the axle by now if it was the weak link.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here and I have the weird clicking noise when turning and my wife s ace is all stock and just over 500 miles. I was thinking the same it might be an axle in the back poss the right side but never messed with them or really know how to tell before taking one off and I see most axles are 150 to 200 for 1. It has to be moving forward and turning but been along winter so not really sure I remember what it was doing LOL. I hope you got yours worked out I am trying to get ready for the season and hope to figure out mine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New here and I have the weird clicking noise when turning and my wife s ace is all stock and just over 500 miles. I was thinking the same it might be an axle in the back poss the right side but never messed with them or really know how to tell before taking one off and I see most axles are 150 to 200 for 1. It has to be moving forward and turning but been along winter so not really sure I remember what it was doing LOL. I hope you got yours worked out I am trying to get ready for the season and hope to figure out mine.

Hey mine still clicks, I'm just gonna ride till it breaks haha. If I can keep it above water that is, sunk twice now lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's your brake pads rattling on the mounting pins.

My rattling sounded like something major was breaking.

I found the following fix on another forum:

I adjusted the caliper adjustment Allen screws. (I was afraid to tighten too much.) Improved greatly but I could still hear some rattling just not as loud.

I then put light springs between pads on the mounting pins. 7/16 long by half inch diameter. The noise is gone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I adjusted the caliper adjustment Allen screws. (I was afraid to tighten too much.) Improved. greatly but I could still hear some rattling just not as loud.

I then put light springs between pads on the mounting pins. 7/16 long by half inch diameter. The noise is gone.
thnx i willntake a look and see if i can figure out if that is the issue. Cheers mate

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I adjusted the caliper adjustment Allen screws. (I was afraid to tighten too much.) Improved

greatly but I could still hear some rattling just not as loud.

not sure thats the issue. Not a rattleing sound im hearing, more of a clunk clunk clunk sound when turning in reverse. Thnx anyways mate

1 - 15 of 15 Posts