Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been brought up in another thread but the thread went off course. Im just wondering if anyone has found or installed a clutch kit on the 325 ace? I know they make one for the 570 and have searched the net but come up empty on the 325. Im running 27 inch mud mayheys on dual beadlocks rims and they are heavy. Great combo for my riding style but i can feel a definate lag in bottom end get up and go. Just looking to see if anyone has clutch work done on theres or knows where i might find a kit! THANX

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I think this is going to be one of those scenarios where you won't find a kit, but you will need to find the individual parts and experiment to see what works.
For example, maybe get a variety pack of shims for the primary pulley, a couple different springs for the secondary, and play with them until you find a combination you like.

In general, adding some shims to pre-separate the primary pulley a little, making it pull harder right away. I guess a stiffer secondary spring helps keep it in "lower gear" longer, giving you more low end power for longer.

Also, try not narrowing your search to the 325 when looking for kits. Doesn't the 570 have the same clutch as the 570 base model?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what i was thinking as well. I dont know enough about clutches to do the experimenting myself. I know i could change the the springs or possibly the weights but after that im lost lol! I also have no idea what im doing in there so all the work would have to be done at the shop. I have no idea if the clutches in the 570 are the same, i was hoping someone here could give me the details or tell me what i need and save me the time and money of doing my own r&d at the shop. After all shop rates arent getting any lower. You are exactly right on what im trying to achieve , hope someone can help me out. Thanx

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
With shims, the experimenting is not a big deal. You just pull the primary apart, slap a shim in there, put it back together, and see how it feels.
If it didn't give you much boost, take it apart again and slap another shim in there.
The only real problems are:
1. Figuring out what size shims you need (outside diameter and inside diameter), and
2. Making sure that putting the shims in doesn't keep the clutch from going back together correctly.

I recently did this on my Yamaha Grizzly. You can stick about 1.7 MM of shim in there, and the splines that hold the clutch will just barely still be poking through, indicating that if you went with any more shim, it wouldn't stay together properly. I haven't taken a Polaris primary clutch apart so I couldn't tell you if it's the same deal, exactly.

With the secondary spring, if you found that shimming it gave you some extra boost, but it tried to wind up too fast so the extra power only lasted for a small amount of your RPM range, you'd put in a stiffer one.

But all I can offer are those generalizations.
Maybe someone else will chime in on it here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was worried if i shimmed anything that the clutch would be out of alignment and i heard that thats a big no no? Belts arent cheap either and if things arent aligned properly or balanced right the belt wont last very long or work at all. Like i said i dont have any experience with clutches and this is all hear say and from reading on the web. There are so many opinions and they all suggest slightly diffferent approaches its kind of overwhelming on what to do! I hope someone chimes in as well.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Thats what i was thinking as well. I dont know enough about clutches to do the experimenting myself. I know i could change the the springs or possibly the weights but after that im lost lol! I also have no idea what im doing in there so all the work would have to be done at the shop. I have no idea if the clutches in the 570 are the same, i was hoping someone here could give me the details or tell me what i need and save me the time and money of doing my own r&d at the shop. After all shop rates arent getting any lower. You are exactly right on what im trying to achieve , hope someone can help me out. Thanx

Contact Ryan at RVS performance. He has been trying to put together a kit for the 325 but I don't know if he has one yet. He is a QSC dealer and a great guy with great customer service

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The shim goes between the sheaves, forcing them slightly further apart so the belt sits lower to start with. It's no more out of alignment than when the machine spins up on its own and the belt forces the sheaves apart, you're just giving it a head start on that.

Sounds like Ryan is the guy to talk to though. If he hasn't made a kit, he'll most likely be able to tell you what to get and where to install it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow you definately know alot more about clutching then i do lol! Looks like i will try contacting ryan since that seems to be the only source im hearing of. Thanx again guys.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I know just as much as I have needed to learn about them to enhance the performance a little in my scooters and my Grizzly.
Most of that translates to other CVT systems, but maybe not the specifics of these Polaris machines.
There's a lot more about clutching that I don't know than what I do know.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Wow you definately know alot more about clutching then i do lol! Looks like i will try contacting ryan since that seems to be the only source im hearing of. Thanx again guys.
Jrossiar, Ryan (651) 500-0657) … is in Minnesota. Last time I talked to him he told me he was looking for someone with a 325 to let them use it for development. If you are close to him you might mention doing that if you could. He would probably give you a great deal or maybe even a free kit if he could use your quad to help him make a kit....Just a thought

Reactions: Rduhon

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jrossiar, Ryan (651) 500-0657) … is in Minnesota. Last time I talked to him he told me he was looking for someone with a 325 to let them use it for development. If you are close to him you might mention doing that if you could. He would probably give you a great deal or maybe even a free kit if he could use your quad to help him make a kit....Just a thought
Thanx vandal i looked it up and its about a 10 hour plus drive to get there and i would also have to cross the border as i live in canada,but i sent them an email today. I hope to hear back from them in the next few days. I have a shop close by who do all the experimenting if need be. They are professional mud racers and know there stuff. Im trying to avoid the experimenting stage and bolt in something that someone else has already tried and tested. With the 325 being out for as long as it has im quite surprised that no one has stepped up to the plate yet. I assume there is either nothing that can be done to improve it or there is simply no demand for it. I will give it a few days to see what i hear back from rvs performance and then go from there. It looks like it leaning towards me doing my own r&d lol!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Honestly, with the low gear on the 325 being such a tractor gear, and the 570 being released only about 6 months after the 325, I am not surprised such a kit was not developed and made mainstream. Nor am I convinced such a kit would be very helpful or desirable in a 325.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly, with the low gear on the 325 being such a tractor gear, and the 570 being released only about 6 months after the 325, I am not surprised such a kit was not developed and made mainstream. Nor am I convinced such a kit would be very helpful or desirable in a 325.
Scoundrel your probably right, and i wish i had waited the one month to purchase mine before they announced the 570. Unfortunately i jumped the gun and now i have to work with what i got for a few years. After that if they havent made improvements to the suspension (mainly dual a-arm set up in the front and better shocks) i will probably just return to an atv. Dont get me wrong i love my ace but i think my riding style may make me return to an atv. I really like the 850 highlifter editon but am gonna be patient this time and wait to see what problems they have or changes they make before i buy. I will definately post up here when i hear back from rvs and any improvements i do decide to make.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts