Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of us went for a ride yesterday at Turkey Bay, Land Between The Lakes, KY. We rode for over six hours an had a whopping 27 mile ride. So this may give you an idea of the kind of hills and trails we were on. Slow, some mud, rocky hills and trees. We had three lil Aces, One 1000 RZR one 900 RZR, two 800 RZR, and one Artic Cat. The three of us with the Aces rode with radios yesterday, and for the most part of the ride, I rode in the rear tail end of the group. This gave me a very good chance to watch the actions of all of the machines ahead. The bigger machines had it all over the little ace going over football size rocks and bigger, but then there was a lot of three point turns with them as well. The bigger horsepower differences did not make much of a difference at all between all of the machines. The big machines could not go fast due to the terrain. It was all about TRACTION!!!

I have said for a long time now, that the Ace is a very capable trail machine. And for the type of terrain we like to ride in seems to work just fine. It is not made to be a dragster, set any land speed records, or haul loads like a truck. I don't run at fast speeds, ride in much sand, or very deep mud and water. The lil Ace works for me where I ride.

·
Registered
130 Posts
True dad. I talked to the couple in the RZR 1000. Told him don't judge the HP motor. Watch. Later I went up and down some same hills he did. He admitted to me his admiration to the 'lower end grit' and was surprised of what I, we, were achieving in the Aces..
Seems dad runs tail and I run lead, I offer to others to lead, the answer- we like your style and trails. I ride hard rough and alove it when I find technical trails. The speed we run is all based on terrain. I had 30 miles yesterday but had to track a rzr that missed our path.
A few weeks ago at windrock, I loved trail 16, and 44 (?) ? 16 and 18 was a holy crap did you see me go up that.
Anyone that rides with us, plan to ride, pack lunch. We will take a few breaks but we want to burn gas in the aces.....

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is cool I can't wait for my son to be old enough to go riding with me. This is what it's all about thrashing trails and making memories.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sometimes, I walk out to my little Ace, and wish I had spent the (at the time) almost fifty percent more and gotten the 570. Once I start riding, I forget about that and have a great time. Around here, driving is a mix of dirt roads, tight trails, rocky was crossings, and some crawling over rock hills. I don't get stuck, I don't get bogged, and most important - I don't get hurt. I love the Ace!

My wife now has a 330 too. Our riding partners share a side-by-side Yamaha, but are all smiles when they borrow an Ace. I suspect, if finances allowed, they would have two 330s by sundown today.

Matt B

·
Registered
447 Posts
Stubby, I too have one of the original Aces with the 330 engine. I ride mostly on my own trails with several rides to various ATV parks in Texas each year. I mostly ride with two close friends that originally had Aces. One now rides a RZR 570 most of the time and one rides a RZR 900 XC. Both are terrific machines and I would never say anything derogatory about either machine. I have some very tight trails on uneven terrain in the bottom or rocky gullies. They were hand made with a chain saw, mattox and sledge hammer. They were custom made tight for the Ace. The RZRs have a difficult time on these trails. The 900 has turned over once and has damaged the roof smacking trees in the uneven terrain. We have been slowly modifying the trails to accommodate the larger vehicles. They both have to push off trees with their hands to keep the roofs from smacking the trees. One of my friends smashed his hands a few days ago between the roof and a tree. I cannot accelerate like either of them do but the longest straight away that I have is probably 200 yards long. It is all about where you ride and how you ride. I too love the small Ace and have no plans to go to a larger vehicle. If I rode in mud, sand dunes or other terrain I would certainly consider a different vehicle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
FYI. We are a lot more than father-son. We have been good friends for a long time, and it is a special relationship that few have.
Yep. Been many year we see eye to eye, but when we don't we can voice that. Agree, agree to disagree or flat out disagree. But we don't let that affect us. I am an adult, and dad is a great friend, but when he needs to be a dad he is. Like after I wrecked my m/c, I was chompin at the bit to buy another. Dad said wait, I did and then 3 months later I bought the first Ace.
The Aces are great. People should not judge the ace by the HP. Grant it, I would trade up to the Ace 570, but it is not worth the cost at this time.
It is known that Scoundrel is a hard driver and rider on the Ace as I am too. No doubt in my mind I could follow him anywhere he goes. it would be fun and I am certain he wouldn't get bored following me either.
I get us in a few 'pickles' time to time but we go on. A couple of times the only way through was to whinch our way out. These situations were never caused from the lack of HP but lack of traction.
These things are 900 lbs of pure fun!

Duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts