Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 1594 View attachment 1595 View attachment 1596 View attachment 1597

I let a friend drive our ace and he hit a rock ledge going full throttle and went airborne and caught a tree and cartwheeled into a bank of more rocks. The good news is he survived without a bump ! The bad news is the ace needs a new roll cage , strut , brake caliper , axle , all new plastic all over , hub , 2 wheels , front and rear bumpers , air box , bed , windshield . Maybe more when the Polaris shop finishes rebuilding !

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yikes!!! I gotta stop letting people ride mine. A friend had it up on two wheels the other day. What's the best way to say no? Damn sorry, hope he pitches in to get it fixed.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am so sorry that happened. A friend rolled mine but it was on soft sand and did minimal damage. I had to replace the front plastic. I am glad that the rider was OK. The Ace does seem to be a very safe alternative to a traditional ATV. I sent a cousin a photo of my Ace and his wife told him to go buy one. He is coming over this Friday for a test ride and I will be holding my breath.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that the ace is very safe especially after I widened it for the rough terrain of Kentucky . My friend I'd paying the whole bill for the repairs which I'm thankful for. View attachment 1602
My daughter is patiently waiting to get her ace back. I have a feeling that I may be a little more cautious on who I let ride our toys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry about your troubles, but don't you people insure these things? Only costs about $200 a year for full coverage on my Prowler.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Sockman - some people do, and others do not.
But that's not a great way to ask that question of someone who is looking at $4k in damage, whether it is covered by insurance or not.

There are so many threads that start out with "I let a friend drive" and end in disaster.
I hope this situation can be resolved without too much financial pain or damage to the friendship.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have insurance on the ace but as long as my friend is paying for the damages I felt like I did not need to turn it in.
The ace is almost back to new and should be ready by this weekend at rush off road big event.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That's a tough call.
"Do I let my friend be accountable and spend a lot of money, or do I let my friend cover just the insurance deductible and hope my insurance costs don't skyrocket later?"
I faced a similar question last year when my friend's GF trashed our Grizzly 700.

She paid cash for the damages ($1000) and used her own insurance for the medical.
In that situation, it was not a difficult choice because the numbers were smaller.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Since you've already begun repairs, it may be too late depending on your insurance company.
I am pretty sure mine would want the claims adjuster to inspect it before any work was done.
at least, that's how they've handled two automotive claims.

Might be different for ATVs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As long as you have all the damaged parts, should not necessarily be past the point that you can't turn it in. If your ATV policy is a stand-alone policy, meaning, it's not an extension of your auto policy, then I don't think that they get rated the same way. So, if you turn a claim in, I don't know for sure that you'd have increased rates on your renewal. I had a claim in the first term of my travel trailer policy, and the rate remained the same at renewal. Anyway, you should inquire with your agent or directly with your carrier if you don't have an agent. You should be able to get answers to both questions before you file a claim.

·
Registered
420 Posts
the catch with that amount of damage is they like to 'total' things around 50% value. You of course can buy it back and fix it but you might not be able to get coverage on it again and if you do it might be limited coverage or more expensive.
I would check with your agent and see what your options are.
Its a rare person to take responsibility on something like this and not just say 'good thing you have insurance' and walk away.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I wonder if the adjuster would be willing to "adjust" things so that it fell just short of the "total loss" mark even if it did not cover the entire cost of the repair.
That seems like it would still be worth doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the catch with that amount of damage is they like to 'total' things around 50% value. You of course can buy it back and fix it but you might not be able to get coverage on it again and if you do it might be limited coverage or more expensive.
I would check with your agent and see what your options are.
Its a rare person to take responsibility on something like this and not just say 'good thing you have insurance' and walk away.
The reason for that is that bikes, ATVs, sleds, etc have really high salvage value, unless you are talking about a total burn or complete basket case. They usually bring 50% or more in salvage return. That, and insurance companies are very weary of repairing any type of frame damage due to liability reasons. Plus, any scratch on plastic means you are writing to replace those panels. People buying the salvage aren't as worried about minor frame damage, or cosmetic damage. They fix what absolutely needs fixed, and either ride or sell it for a nice profit, thus the higher salvage return.

I gotta ask after checking out your avatar, are you a fan of Static-X? One of my favorite bands.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts