Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new 570 out for the first time yesterday. It was a blast, but it seemed to have an issue a couple of times during the ride. In both instances, I had backed up and then put it in high and started down the dirt road. It's difficult to describe, but it just felt like it was working too hard and seemed a little squirelly, like it was wandering a bit. It almost felt like a brake was being applied. The first time it occurred, I turned 4WD off and back on, which didn't seem to make a difference. It cleared up pretty quickly, and I thought I may have just been imaging things - we were on a pretty rutted road, so I figured it must just have been having to work hard. The second time, I felt a bit more certain that something was not right. I had come out of reverse and into high and the Ace felt like it was laboring harder than it should. I stopped, put it into low, still didn't feel right, put it back into high again and it still felt the same. As I got the speed up (maybe 15-20mph), it just seemed to snap out of it. The dragging sensation disappeared and it felt like it had during the rest of the ride.

I realize this is pretty vague and my mind might be playing tricks on me, but has anyone else had this sensation? Could it be a brake pad sticking? Any other suggestions? I won't have access to the Ace again until next weekend, but I'll collect any suggestions and look into it then.

P.S. Following some of the discussions on this board helped me to decide to pull the trigger on the Ace. I appreciate all of the great contributors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies (and the welcome).

This is not my first CVT vehicle. I've had a RZR for a couple of years. Can't say that I'm as experienced as most of the people on this forum, but I'm not completely inexperienced.

The first time that it happened, I am certain that I was in AWD. The second time, I'm not certain. The first time, I took it out of AWD and back into AWD without noticing a change right away. I did not stop the vehicle to do that. The second time, I did come to a stop. I shifted into low, and it still felt like it was dragging. I stopped again and put it into high and just drove on. After I got up a little speed, it seemed to snap out of it.

I'll look through the forums for discussions of the front diff binding. If it happens again, I'll take note of the conditions and try just putting it in park and/or backing up to see if that clears it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Is your 570 the SP model? There has been at least one (possibly two) instance of a bad EPS unit in the SP, which actually led to a broken leg.
You should also check the toe-in. It's been documented dozens of times on this forum as being way wrong from the factory and not corrected by the dealer.
This thread links to details on both of these issues: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/44-ace-570/1504-steering-problems.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine does not have power steering.

I was aware of the toe-in problem from lurking on the forum prior to my purchase. I was a little too anxious to get on the trail after I purchased it to check it carefully. It clearly has at least some toe out (from eyeballing it), but I'll check it more thoroughly next weekend.

I also searched the forum and found the discussions of the AWD binding issue that you mentioned. Some of the descriptions sounded VERY similar to what I felt.

I'll let you all know if it occurs again and if the suggested remedies take care of it. Thanks for the suggestions and the links. Cheers!

·
Registered
420 Posts
+1 on all the ideas. dif and toe issues will definitely make it feel like its dragging at lower speeds
on a side note...don't forget if this is a new machine (less than 20-25 hours) the motor is very tight during the first few hours
be careful until you get it worked out

·
Registered
394 Posts
Only time I felt like my 330 Ace was.laboring is in thick muck and tall grass.
Other then that it stays reved up and moving. But I don't run hard or fast. Most of my riding is for hunting and trapping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.