Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are looking at getting a couple ACE's. I'm torn on spending the extra money for the SP to get power steering. I've read some people love power steering and others don't. We won't be doing any hard core trails, mostly green dot roads and some wider trails. Please give me some piece of mind one way or another. Thanks, Randy

·
Registered
218 Posts
have two aces the lil guy and the 570
neither have power steering
the wife does just fine with hers on anything from easy trails to bug eyed holy **** trails .
the steering is pretty good as soon as you get rolling just a couple mph .
maneuvering in tight spots with no speed at all is where I myself would like power steering
but I don't necessarily wish I had power steering ............
sometimes I wish I had the Engine brake though , long steep downhills mostly

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't have power steering. Slow speeds are no harder then a four wheeler to turn. Once you reach about 25 the steering and suspension is like you are floating. I personally think the power steering is not necessary

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've also had no problems without the power steering . I still have the stock tire and rims still, and ride both tight trails and some open areas where I live. I haven't had a chance to drive one that has yet, so I can't compare the turning of the two. But I am happy with mine.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I can go either way with the PS, although I will say its hard to go back once you have had it.
I personally would go with the SP for the engine braking alone. black paint, wheels, and PS are a bonus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 325 and have no issues without PS. I ride tight twisty trails in Northern MN & Northern WI. I do not think it is needed. I also have a disability in my right arm and mostly driver with just my left arm. I have had no issues.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I am 74 years old and have not found a need for power steering in ANY situation. Even dead stopped, I do not find it hard to turn the wheel. To me, PS is a total waste of money.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you can swing it, the EPS is a great feature and she will appreciate it. Just make sure if you get her one with EPS you are prepared to do that for every vehicle she gets going forward, as it will be an uphill battle to get her to go back.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
To me, EPS is worth every penny.
I'm not a senior, and do not have any disabilities, but I do have chronic "tennis elbow" from working on the computer too much.
After a day of hard riding without EPS, my elbows were sore. With the EPS, I feel great.

I installed a switch on the dash so I can turn it on/off, and experimented on a few rides, and found that I prefer to leave it on, even when riding on easy stuff.
I ride to relax and have fun, so not feeling sore and exhausted at the end of a riding vacation is a great thing.

EPS is one of those things that people who don't have it say they don't need it, and people who have it enjoy using it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
make sure either way to beat them up good on price if you are buying a couple of them. Check the dealer in Ontario, OR...they always seem to have better prices than anyone, might be worth the drive.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I did the math on that regarding the regular 570.
I looked at the price the dealer in Ontario, OR promised me, and the price that my local dealer said he'd lose his shirt if he charged less than.
The difference was about $800. Factoring in diesel fuel, I think it worked out to about $500 savings to go to Ontario.
And then the kicker: Ontario is directly in line with Moab, which I have been planning to visit again very soon.
So that brought the savings back up to $800, as long as I could figure a way to have room for an extra ACE on the way home.

My dealer said all kinds of horrible things about how I'd get there and find out it was a bait and switch, or there would be a whole bunch of hidden fees, and that these "shady dealers" count on people feeling like they had to go through with it because they'd invested the time and gas money to get there, etc. But if I'm on my way to or from Moab, it's only 1/2 mile out of my way to go check it out. If the dealer is being shady, it costs me a half hour and a few pennies in fuel to find out, and then I can just walk away from it.

It's definitely worth considering. Ontario is only 300 miles from Yakima.

·
Registered
420 Posts
yeah my next work trip to Boise that I drive I am going to make a point to stop in and check them out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have bought from ontario no hidden fees they did a good job. I just bought a new ace 570 sp from the dealer in redmond or. he is kicking every bodies backside $7000 for a 570 and $8500 for a sp model *85.00 closing fee good people.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
make sure either way to beat them up good on price if you are buying a couple of them. Check the dealer in Ontario, OR...they always seem to have better prices than anyone, might be worth the drive.
That "dealer" in Ontario is a true hard sell dealer. I live less than 60 miles from them and went there once, NEVER again. Carl's in Boise beat their price by a significant amount and was NOT a hard sell, lying type, dealership.

I have found the best price of any dealer in the west is at the Polaris dealer in Richfield UT. http://www.jhsport.com/

·
Registered
26 Posts
I sprung for the power steering on my Ace since my wife was a bit hesitant after a rut pulled the handlebars on her Sportsman 500 away from her on a long ride. It resulted in her rolling it at low speed. Big scare but turned out okay. The added peace of mind from having less hand fatigue made the decision for me.

I would add my dealer in Cheyenne, WY has been great to deal with. Got my 570 SP out the door for 9250 with the hard top. I am loving it. As a side note, at the rate I am buying accessories they should give me the next one for free. It seems these are made to suit the impulse buyer with a gadget fetish.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That "dealer" in Ontario is a true hard sell dealer. I live less than 60 miles from them and went there once, NEVER again. Carl's in Boise beat their price by a significant amount and was NOT a hard sell, lying type, dealership.

I have found the best price of any dealer in the west is at the Polaris dealer in Richfield UT. Jorgensen's Inc. Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, Can-Am, Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM, and everything else that has to do with RECREATION!!!
Hard sell dealer or not, if you know what you want, they tell you the price, and you go there, and the price is solid, and your local dealer wants $800 more, then why not buy it there?
All of the dealers in my area seem to be way overpriced and tell you what they think you want to hear whether it's true or not, so I see no incentive to buy local at a much higher price.
I doubt my dealer would go to bat for me in a warranty situation. I'm pretty much on my own anyway when it comes to repair and service.

That being said, if I was planning to buy an ACE on a return trip from the Paiute ATV Trail system, then sure, Richfield sounds good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The reason I bought in Ontario and redmond or. Idaho charges sales tax on atv not on cars to people from or. They are not happy about it and are trying to get their senators to change the rules. All you have do with them is know the best price and they will match it and beat it. go on the internet and ask for their best price and then take $100 to $200 off it and that will be their best price. Play the game that is the fun of buying to get them bidding AGAINST each other.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I prefer to buy local, mainly if I have a problem with it, I want it taken care of. But I am friends with the dealer in Redmond and will definitely get a price from them also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My wife and I both got 570SP's on Friday. Took them for a short ride on Saturday. Mine handled great, the wife's was squirrelly. It was 1/8" toed in. I set it at 1/8" toe out and we went for a 40 mile trip today. It was much better. We really like the engine braking. The brakes themselves don't seem to hardly work at all, not sure if that's normal but both are the same. It was the most fun we have had in a long time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts