Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone share any modifications they have made to the ACE 150. My kid is having a blast in it, and I am wondering ways to get it higher off the ground. He's it a couple of rocks and shows already. Looking forward to any advice to increase my son's experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure about the 150, but Highlifter sold me a lift kit for the 570. They may have one for you too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure about the 150, but Highlifter sold me a lift kit for the 570. They may have one for you too.
I’ve done about all you can do to one unless others have suggestions for me.
-Walker Evans shocks
-Aftermarket wheels with taller tires
-Sparks exhaust with tuner (40% more power)
-Doors
-Windshield
-LED whip
-LED roof lighting
-Bigger rear sprocket to offset talkers tires

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve done about all you can do to one unless others have suggestions for me.
-Walker Evans shocks
-Aftermarket wheels with taller tires
-Sparks exhaust with tuner (40% more power)
-Doors
-Windshield
-LED whip
-LED roof lighting
-Bigger rear sprocket to offset taller tires

·
Registered
15 Posts
My recommendation is to just upgrade to a 570. I had a 150 for my daughter and within 6 months, we upgraded her to a 570.

Having tuned the 150 and with a good exhaust, you're not bumping up 40% power (ESPECIALLY if you're running the stock intake air box). Raising the rev limiter and changing the sprockets is far better trying to gain power.

But yeah, the 570 will get you the additional ground clearance and significantly more go power. You can also get a tuner and limit the throttle and top speed to tame it for a kid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
https://www.sparksracing.com/product/x-6-stainless-steel-exhaust-system-polaris-2017-current-ace-150/[/URL]

The 150EFI is supposed to have 9hp stock and Sparks claims 14hp after exhaust & tune. I was being conservative at 40% which would only be a little less than 13hp which certainly seems feasible.
What’s the best way to increase the rev limit?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know the exhaust as I looked at it when I was playing with my daughter's Ace. I couldn't help but think that I could have nearly an entire performance exhaust, custom made for my race car, for that kind of money. Companies claim power increases all the time, but in almost 20 years of tuning, I can't say I've EVER heard of an exhaust and a tune gaining 40% UNLESS it had a turbo from the factory.

Simply put, the motor won't flow. Hell, remove the intake box and I bet there is more of a power increase than that exhaust.

Increasing the rev limit is easy... Just raise it in the software and make sure it's tuned. But... you're going to start doing internal work to this motor to make power. It's a GY6 motor, nothing special.

The upgrade to the 570 went from 9hp to 45. I might have 50hp with the tune, but there was no comparison for the money spent. I could have easily spent as much in modding the 150 and still not be anywhere close the 570.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know the exhaust as I looked at it when I was playing with my daughter's Ace. I couldn't help but think that I could have nearly an entire performance exhaust, custom made for my race car, for that kind of money. Companies claim power increases all the time, but in almost 20 years of tuning, I can't say I've EVER heard of an exhaust and a tune gaining 40% UNLESS it had a turbo from the factory.

Simply put, the motor won't flow. Hell, remove the intake box and I bet there is more of a power increase than that exhaust.

Increasing the rev limit is easy... Just raise it in the software and make sure it's tuned. But... you're going to start doing internal work to this motor to make power. It's a GY6 motor, nothing special.

The upgrade to the 570 went from 9hp to 45. I might have 50hp with the tune, but there was no comparison for the money spent. I could have easily spent as much in modding the 150 and still not be anywhere close the 570.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jason, you clearly know far more about this than I do so I don't want to sound like I'm the authority on the 150 EFI. I have a 570 for my 13 year old but my younger son has to wait like his brother did until he turns 12 to get his 570 so for now I just want to tinker with the 150. I'm not really worried too much about cost because this stuff seems like pennies compared to my other toys.

Are you recommending completely eliminating the air box or just modifying it so it can suck more air? I'd obviously have to do something to protect the air filter. You recommended a new sprocket to me a while back so I have this on order. Any other ideas for getting more power would be appreciated. From what I can tell, no one makes a big bore kit for it.

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
My plan, when I was playing with the 150, before realizing the bang-for-buck had been passed, was to relocated the intake above the engine, as far forward as I could get it. I was going to have an intake charge pipe welded to do this, and then make a shield under the filter. This should keep out any real water, unless you went up to chest level in it.

With the stock intake box, it would not even reach atmospheric level of air pressure. With just the lid removed, I could see above atmospheric pressure, where the engine was most efficient. That was around 5,000 RPM... A good 3,000 RPM before redline, and where you're really going to struggle (down 2 PSI by redline), especially after a sprocket. With the sprocket, I could get out of the hole a little better and trust that it could make a climb, but top speed did not change much, because it just lost steam.

In addition to the intake, you could take the head off and port it out, but ultimately, a set of cams are probably what you want.

I was excited to play with the 150 when we had it, but the first time we hit a real trail, it was too stiff of a ride. My daughter was crying before we were done. The 150 was good for her to learn to drive, for the 6 months we had it, as the 570 would have gotten her in trouble, if I did not take power out of it via electronic throttle (which I would have done, if I didn't think she was ready). She loves the power steering of the 570 and the plush ride by comparison. The 570 has taught her to modulate the throttle. The 150 was WOT all the time. The first loose gravel turn she did in the 570, she quickly found she could not mat the throttle down in the middle of the turn. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts