Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not much for long-winded posts so i'll get right to it with my take on the ACE's performance in the dunes of Winchester Bay Oregon.

First of all I have to say that I had an absolute blast!

Power:
Power was very acceptable but don't expect it to make the huge climbs super fast. I was able to get up everything that I tried including Banshee Hill, but I was only able to make it in low gear. In all honesty I found that low gear was where I spent most of the 4 days we were there. The few times I had a chance to do full speed runs I switched it to high, but those just didn't happen much. I would like to see shift-on-the-fly but it's not a deal breaker. With the paddles I found that top speed was in the 48 MPH range (sand there was quite dry and soft).

Handling:
Never felt like I was going to roll over even when riding the bowls. The suspension seemed adequate for most everything I did (including getting lots of air) but I have to admit that the thing kicked like a bull when riding through the whoop-di-do's. It was demon possessed at those sections.

Tires and wheels:
ITP SS212 12x7 4+3 wheels. ITP Dune Star 26x9x12 fronts. ITP Sand Star 26x11x12 rears. These things hooked up like nobody's business. I couldn't have been happier.

Overall fun factor:
I had more fun riding the ACE than I have in all my years of riding quads on sand. Everyone I ran into wanted to know more about it and it was really turning heads. We kept seeing people parked in RZR's just watching us fool around.

I've started a new YouTube channel that i'd invite anyone to subscribe to.
I've started by dumping my dune videos up there first, but i'm going to use it as kind of a 'video diary' for my ACE. There are just not many practical videos out there that show different aspects of the ACE's performance in various terrains and I just want to have at least one good resource I can use.

Here are the first videos:

My personal favorite: (airtime)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Glad to hear just bought mine today. I like riding in sand so hopefully it'll be a blast. Were the paddles a huge factor or will it be fine in stock tires on sand?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very nice. I got a set of the same wheel/tire combo for the sand. Took my 570 to Pismo beach a month ago and had a blast, very fun machine for dune riding. Glad you had the same results

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So we're you in 4x4 most the time or 2wd with just the rear paddles. I bought some rear paddles and wondering what gear would work best
Yea for the most part. There really isn't enough juice in the 570 to rooster tail it around. I found that in 2WD it just plowed more when I turned so I just left it in 4wd.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife drives hers in the dunes around Florence and has no problems with stock tires. She is not trying to go up the largest dunes but has never had a problem. I drove it one evening and it was just fine. I only used 2D and it went up the dunes with no problem. Lots of wheel speed in high gear to get up the dunes but made it just fine. I could see with paddles it would need to be in low gear to pull the dunes without bogging the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts