Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I can honestly say it was a terrible first day for my ace. I went up in the trails in 4-5 foot of snow and I was amazing the first 7 miles in. I was having a blast until I got stuck the first time. The next 7 miles I got stuck about 15 times. The steering was terrible and I couldn't keep it straight. The power steering was way to soft and I was squirrly and could not hook up at all. The guys I was with were cursing out my machine and what should have been a 5 hour run turned into 9 1/2 hours of pulling me around with a tow rope. Then it happened, I hit the mother of all sink holes and my ace was waste deep. It took some serious ingenuity to get me free, how embarrassing for my new toy. On the way back down it was the same until I said screw it and raised my rpms to power through all of it. I was traveling about 25 miles per hour it tight trails for about 6 miles drifting the whole way. I felt bad for the ace but I finally made it home. I need to know what was wrong, could it have been the stock carlise tires that were no good or is this machine just to heavy for the snow. I also need to know if the power steering can be tightened up because it is wayyyyyyy to loose. With all that said I can honestly say the ace can take some abuse because I was hit a few times and I kissed a few small trees and nothing when I loaded it up it looks almost as new as when it came home plus or minus a few gouges. image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
552 Posts
i've been through a lot of snow with the ACE. It is very loose in the handling department. I do not have the SP and it was very crazy steering. The Ace is simply not a snow machine, anything over a 12" is an adventure. I'd definitely say that raising the RPMS help. What were they using to pull you out with? Looks like you were dragging the frame? The ACE is heavy and once you start pushing snow, it's game over. At least they sell tracks for it!! In conclusion, most 4-wheeel vehicles are terrible in deep snow, that's why they make snowmobiles, you will have more fun with the ACE in mud and dirt!! We have over 2' on the ground in most places, I'm spending my extra time planning out mods or working on other projects so I can enjoy the ACE once the weather breaks. If it makes you feel better here is a video of me getting stuck, always more fun to watch then when it happens to you ha ha:

·
Registered
80 Posts
im in agreement with vinny on this I have the little 330 and in deep snow it goes pretty much where it wants to. your fighting the wheel all the time. but to be fair I didn't ride the quad much in snow either cause it was worse with the handle bars imo. the tires may have something to do with it but I don't know for sure on that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They dragged me around with a Honda 420. I would agree if the trail was not so packed down but it was hard as hell, my main problem was keeping it straight. At low rpms I was fish tailing and hitting the drift every what seems 10 ft. When it got dark I literally hammered it to stay straight. Is there an adjustment to slow the steering down at all? Will new rubber help? If I could stay straight I could ride all day. is the steering like this in the dirt?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vinny I have to agree it was better watching hahah. At the time I was pissed. The little Honda and big articat did well. I guess I'm purchasing a little quad to play in the snow. You were riding through very loose snow and I didn't see you struggling with the wheel like I was. I was flying though the woods with my wheel pointed left or right to go straight and when it hooked up I was fighting it away from the drift. I Wil buy some snow shoes for next year and try that out but for now I want some new tires for the trail that will slow the steering down and let me hammer the trails. I used to live up in the mountains and I rode my Banchee in the snow and never had a problem except one time I accidentally rode on private property and the guards started firing warning shots at us so when in was blowing out of there I hit a tree doing about 50 sending me sailing into plush snow. I broke my foot from the impact and the bike suffered very little damage other than being stuck in the snow. I loved that bike and with a broken foot I was able to yank it out and get home. Riding in nj can be a bit interesting

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Better tires will help.
Did you check your toe-in setting? A lot of these machines came with a very wrong setting from the factory. That would throw off steering on slippery snow for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I can honestly say it was a terrible first day for my ace. I went up in the trails in 4-5 foot of snow and I was amazing the first 7 miles in. I was having a blast until I got stuck the first time. The next 7 miles I got stuck about 15 times. The steering was terrible and I couldn't keep it straight. The power steering was way to soft and I was squirrly and could not hook up at all. The guys I was with were cursing out my machine and what should have been a 5 hour run turned into 9 1/2 hours of pulling me around with a tow rope. Then it happened, I hit the mother of all sink holes and my ace was waste deep. It took some serious ingenuity to get me free, how embarrassing for my new toy. On the way back down it was the same until I said screw it and raised my rpms to power through all of it. I was traveling about 25 miles per hour it tight trails for about 6 miles drifting the whole way. I felt bad for the ace but I finally made it home. I need to know what was wrong, could it have been the stock carlise tires that were no good or is this machine just to heavy for the snow. I also need to know if the power steering can be tightened up because it is wayyyyyyy to loose. With all that said I can honestly say the ace can take some abuse because I was hit a few times and I kissed a few small trees and nothing when I loaded it up it looks almost as new as when it came home plus or minus a few gouges. View attachment 3062 View attachment 3062
Hi all, new member here from New Zealand. Vinny that looked like a blast, your lucky you had a tow out close, it didnt look like a good night to spend out doors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not yet, I am checking the toe this week when I am putting the accessories in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd put tracks on it and show all them up. I've got them on my rzr 570. You should see the looks and questions I get.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture because of the perspective, but it sure looks like it is way out. The left front wheel is toed out, and the right appears to be straight. At least that is the way it looks to me.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Camera angle and focal distance will skew that.
Camera needs to be at the center of the vehicle with steering wheel straight.
Even then it's hard to tell unless the camera is a good 20 feet out.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Low ground clearance.
Stock tires.
4 feet of snow.

Nope.
I was thinking the same thing Scoundrel, Once anything is up to the frame you're going for a ride until it lets you go. I doubt anything is going to go very well in 4 ft of snow, on the stock tires He's lucky the snow didn't bury him

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vandal burying myself in hard packed snow would be pretty difficult but flying off the cliff the one trail had was more my concern. The tires are fine as well as the toe. My issue was the steering is defective. The manager of Polaris called the rep and they are coming to look at the machine. The service tech told me the machine definitely has a problem. He mentioned that they were not aware that the machine came with grease fitting and it's possible that Polaris did not fill them at the factory so it is possible that they everyone overlooked it. They are not allowed to touch the machine without the approval from polaris at this point. I am either getting it fixed or replaced. I could have killed myself going that fast out there but I was out 14 miles and had no choice.
New machines check the bike over before you ride and thank you guys for pointing out the zerk fittings and all your help

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
We're all ears when you find out what the root cause is - if they tell you.
Sorry your experience sucked.

I rented a snowmobile once that had a problem where the headlight and instrument cluster would turn itself off periodically when it hit bumps.
We were out past dark in Montana with no moon. About half of the 30 miles back, I had to use the headlights of the guy in front of me to see where I was going.
The rental place told me the next day my rental was supposed to end at 6pm each day and I shouldn't have been out after dark.
Whatever...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scoundrel that happens to me about five years back. I had a Zx7 street bike and I saw rain in the horizon so I hammered it home. While on a road here in jersey rt 23 which is extremely windy and barely and street lights my headlights went out while I was doing over 100mph and it was very late so there were no cars on the road. I took my flashlight and rode for about a mile or so until I finally saw a car and followed him the rest of the way. The irony in all this is when I pulled in my driveway the dam lights came back on. I was scared shitless no bs there, earlier in the day I saw an older man wipe out on 23 and he lost his life and when the light went out at that speed, for a second there I was completely confused.
The update on the bike is Polaris came in and looked at the bike and supposedly the bikes programming was old and the new update would correct the bikes steering and the bike needed more grease. They are replacing the plastics that were damaged and I get my bike back either tomorrow or Saturday. I will let you guys know how it does when I take it back out in the trails.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey Scoundrel. I can't quit laughing! Picture of Marty was the absolute perfect response! Too funny, but you hit it right on the head! That's what I was saying it looked like. Great job!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts