Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just did my first oil change and am using Mobil 1 5w-40. Before the naysayers say I'm damaging my engine, I'll gladly pull am oil sample at 50 hours if you do the same with the factory 5w-50 to compare wear levels via oil analysis. I intend to change oil after week's worth riding which is typically 40-50 hours during a regular camping trip and filter every 2nd oil change at 80-100 hours.

Anybody else using other than 5w50 oil?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would worry about Polaris doing any warranty work on the machine. I got a extended warranty on mine so ill pay the outrageous price for Polaris oil that way its one less thing they will be able to ***** about when I use the warranty, which im sure I will. but to each his own. I used mobil syn in my semi and loved the stuff use it in my cars even the classics.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not worried about warranty work. I'm my own warranty and have pretty much figured out from other Polaris experiences that the warranty is pretty much worthless.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I will never pay those outlandish prices for Polaris anything fluid. I run Mobil one 0W-40 or 5w-50 and have had no issues at all over the years. Polaris cannot deny warranty claims because you run a superior oil in your machine, There are laws in place to forbid that. Polaris oil is made by some rinky dink oil company up there in MN somewhere, and it is nowhere near the quality of the big name companies. I have a friend with an older sportsman who has run over 10000 miles on mobil one products with no failures. Transmissions run great on full synthetic 5W-20 motor oil and front differentials are perfect using any full synthetic ATF. Polaris can stick their fluid where the sun don't shine

Reactions: Nomad570 and Stubby

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will never pay those outlandish prices for Polaris anything fluid. I run Mobil one 0W-40 or 5w-50 and have had no issues at all over the tears. Polaris cannot deny warranty claims because you run a superior oil in your machine, There are laws in place to forbid that. Polaris oil is made by some rinky dink oil company up there in MN somewhere, and it is nowhere near the quality of the big name companies. I have a friend with an older sportsman who has run over 10000 miles on mobil one products with no failures. Transmissions run great on full synthetic 5W-20 motor oil and front differentials are perfect using any full synthetic ATF. Polaris can stick their fluid where the sun don't shine
AMEN! I concur. I ride at high altitude in Colorado and temps above 10,000 feet up to 14,000 feet are much cooler. I'm comfortable with a 5w40 and may even go down to a 0w40 for spring or fall riding.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Since polaris said use thier oil, I did, but I have sent in oil samples to get a record to prove if it good or not. We don't have any warranties so I wanted to know. Specifically the break in oil. Very interesting. I will dig up the emails of the lab results and post them here. Two on my ace, one on Lori's. I will post it since this seams to always be a debatable topic. I am not advocating or recommending ps-4 oil, but I wanted clinical results. So with that I am not unhappy of it. I feel I need the best oil cuz some may say I ride 'hard' good night. Back to my sleepness night pillow

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the only reason Polaris recommends a 5w50 oil is because these high revving engines probably shear the oil pretty quickly into thinner viscosity. Mobil 1 5w40 is a HDEO and is fairly shear stable and I'm confident is a better oil than PS4.

My last ATV would shear oil down to a 30 weight at temp in as little as 30 hours but it had a wet clutch which are notoriously hard on oil.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think the only reason Polaris recommends a 5w50 oil is because these high revving engines probably shear the oil pretty quickly into thinner viscosity. Mobil 1 5w40 is a HDEO and is fairly shear stable and I'm confident is a better oil than PS4.

My last ATV would shear oil down to a 30 weight at temp in as little as 30 hours but it had a wet clutch which are notoriously hard on oil.

Skyliner.....Polaris recommended 2w-50 on my 2013 sportsman 500 and where do you think you can buy 2w-50...yep at the Polaris dealer and nowhere else...why...because they relabled their Polaris oil since no one has ever made 2w-50 motor oil, When I learned that I swore no more Polaris fluids for me. When you have the only 2w-50 in existence, everyone has to buy it from you...RIGHT

·
Registered
130 Posts
I found my oil files from blackstone-labs.com, but I can't figure how to post a pdf file. Any answers?

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blackstone labs <-- great lab, I use them for all of my vehicles. I don't know how to post a .pdf but would I would do is us a program such as bandicam to take a screen shot of the open UOA file and then upload the image or host the image on a free hosting site for inclusion here.

POO (Polaris) is specifying this bogus oil viscosity just to make more money off of us. Its no different than then pushing their $48/gallon 2 stroke oil for my '14 Poo Snowmobile. I use a $20/gallon 2 stroke oil for years with no issues.

·
Registered
420 Posts
use whatever oil meets the specs and your brand preference
If you think Mobil, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Lucas, ETC are better then use away...attention to its condition is the key no matter what brand
hell people actually use Penzoil in things and they survive lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oil reports. screeshot will work, here is my oil report. First 2 are mine. Break in oil change the 2nd. Also included Lori's Ace break in oil.

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts