Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Anyone using a clutch kit in their ACE 900XCs? If so, which one and why did you choose that vendor?

I raced the Silver State 300 a week ago and 15 miles short of the finish line my belt (with only 350 miles) blew up. The race was between 2500' and 7500' altitude and I am hoping that a clutch kit set for that altitude will help during the Vegas 2 Reno race next month.

I am still running the OEM clutch which as far as I understand is set for altitude up to about 3000'. Also I have bigger than normal tires and a Trinity Racing exhaust so a clutch kit should help with this also.

Thanks for the info.

V22Driver

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't race mine but it is often run at the 4k altitude mark. Never had a problem. Normally if the belt is not slipping, such as staring off a steep climb in high range, there should not be a problem, I'm wondering if maybe you just got a bad belt. The 570 is a relatively low power machine and can use the same belt as the 900 Rzr. I also have a 900 rzr trail with 2k miles on the original belt and I'm running 14 inch wheels and tires off a Rzr 1000. Then again, I'm never pushing it to the limits.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Billmay,

Thanks for the info. It wasn't a racing belt, it was just a standard Gates belt, but the one I ran last year had over 650 miles on it and it never broke, just tore up really bad. I was just trying to use it up, but I didn't figure it would blow up on me. I was pushing it rather hard (40 MPH average for 265 miles) and it got really hot so I am sure it was the belt. My next belt is a Trinity Racing belt for the Vegas 2 Reno race in August (might not happen because of this shamdemic BS).

I will still add a clutch kit though. Most likely a Dynojet kit since I already have their tuner and a tune for my Trinity Racing exhaust. I know I need one since I upped the tires to 28" and added an aftermarket exhaust so I know there are some HP improvements also. Just trying to get a feel for which one is the best.

Thanks,

V22Driver

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is my understanding that Gates makes good belts. A lot of other ATV'ers here use them and we used them on snowmobiles and they really are hard on belts. I was told to stay away from the kevlar belts because they tend to shred instead of break, which can mean a lot of work removing one that has gone bad.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Billmay,

Thanks for the info. I bought these (2) Gates belts over 2 years ago and was just using up the stock. They are not recommended for racing, but I ran what I had. I have moved over to my sponsor's belt (Trinity Racing) and their belts are made by GBoost Technology (the maker of Badass Belts) and they are supposed to be the best belts in the industry (not sure who makes that determination). I will race one of the GBoost belts in my next race (Vegas to Reno - 514 miles plus break-in mileage) so I will see just how badass they are. Will let everyone know.

Thanks,

V22Driver

1 - 5 of 5 Posts