Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone find an aftermarket replacement air filter for the ACE? I am not excited about paying $42 for a factory replacement.

·
Registered
111 Posts
A quick search revealed nothing. My dealer recommends against K&N filters for this area. It is dry and dusty here, and the filters allow small particulates that wear engines prematurely.

What have you, amigos?

Matt B

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was looking for a uni or twin air. Something with foam so it will catch more dirt and is washable. I have one off of another quad I may try just to see if it fits. If I come up with something I will post it up. I'm surprised nobody has swapped theirs out with aftermarket yet.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I think the ACE uses the same filter as the RZR 570, but am not 100% sure.
I've seen UNI filters for the RZR 570 advertised but the picture doesn't look right so I haven't jumped on one to try it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have found out that as of July 2014 there is a change in the filter ( not sure what the change is but it is different some how) 2 different part numbers and no one knows if they will interchange. I've called every dealer around and the only way to get a filter is to order it. I ask why no one stocks them and they had no answer. I ordered 2. I was also told not to use a K&N.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The K&N vs. no-K&N debate rages on ever and always on the forums.

It goes something like this:

Person A: The K&N filter is far superior!
Person B: The K&N filter will destroy your engine!
Person A: Not if you follow the instructions!
Person B: The shop told me it will void my warranty if I use K&N filters!
Person C: K&N says that's not true.
Person B: Tell that to my dealer!
Person A: The K&N filter works great! I ran it for 5 years in my diesel pickup so it must be awesome for off-road vehicles.
Person D: I ran the K&N filter, followed every instruction to the letter, and found dust in my throttle body.
Person F: U dun it rong LAWL!!!1
Person E: Did you put silicone grease around the outside edge between the foam rubber gasket and the filter?
Person D: The instructions didn't say anything about doing that!
Person G: Is it worth the risk? Just run the stock paper filter.
Person C: The K&N filter saves me a ton of money because while I will happily spend $250 on a polished billet aluminum fire extinguisher mount and $600 on a pair of lighted flag whips and $1800 on a waterproof roof mounted stereo system, $1100 in gas to haul my crap to Glamis twice a year, and a crapload of money on non-ethanol gas and fuel stabilizer, I am too cheap to keep buying paper filters.

There you go, now you don't have to go read any more forum threads about K&N filters.

Edit: I am Person D.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sooooo, you are saying this is a bad time to bring up what brand of oil to run? Lol:shtf1:

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Nope, that's an easy one:

Run Polaris oil while you are still under warranty, then shift to Mobil 1 for engine oil and Amsoil products for everything else.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Scoundrel, you always come up with some good stuff. Your response at the bottom is why I bought 2. I just hate having to order normal miantinace parts but I do understand dealers cannot keep everything in stock. If anybody can find out what the difference in the pre July and after July filters is I was surly like to know if they will both work on my machine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The uni filter is a good filter. I ran one on my King Quad for 5 years with no problem and now have it in the ACE. Just as any filter , check it often, clean it when needed after riding dust areas. Be sure to add a little grease around the inlet to ensure no dust getting inside... As long as you follow the directions for oiling, NO PROBLEM... The filter for the ACE is different than the RZR 570.
Moto Part Hub has them for $25.90 plus $6.00 shipping to my zip code (39 in stock) according to site. The filter number for the little ACE is NU 8520st. Just as with any other product, some like'm , some don't . Personally I like the UNI.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Well I have to ask...why Mobil 1?
I don't remember, exactly. I just remember that I read a lot of forum threads on the subject when researching it for my RZR, and the general consensus was that Mobil 1 Synthetic was the good stuff.

I've been using it in the RZR since the warranty expired. I now have 2750 miles, and I don't burn oil. Never have to top it up between changes. So I think it's doing its job properly.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I think the ACE uses the same filter as the RZR 570, but am not 100% sure.
I've seen UNI filters for the RZR 570 advertised but the picture doesn't look right so I haven't jumped on one to try it.
The filter for the ACE is different than the RZR 570.
Sorry, I should have said RANGER 570. The UNI website lists the NU-8520ST as being for the Ranger 570.
Polaris ATV/UTV | Uni Filter
Edit: just found another page on that site that list them as fitting the ACE as well, and has a photo!
http://www.unifilter.com/new-products/

I prefer foam filters that I can use No Toil on, and easily wash and re-use. I used foam filters for years on Kawasaki ATVs, and the Grizzly has a foam filter. I like them, and would prefer to buy two foams and be able to pull one out, put the fresh one in, wash the dirty one and store it for later, rather than replace $45 paper filters. I just don't trust K&N filters anymore.

I'm going to buy a pair of the UNI ones.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Yes, they do. And now they have my PayPal e-mail address.
Time will tell if they're one of the vendors who starts spamming my PayPal e-mail address or not.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I have a concern about the UNI filter in the ACE.

Last time I attached my filter, I put grease around the inside of the ring, and when I started tightening the hose clamp, the filter slipped off.
So I wiped some of the grease out and tried again, and it stayed put. I examined the airbox lid and found that it has a ledge which holds the filter in place.
So as long as it stays put long enough to get the lid on, you're good.

But the UNI filter has a soft, compressible edge there instead of the hard rubber/plastic edge of the stock filter.
So will the airbox lid hold that filter in place tightly?
Or will I find out it did not stay put after a hard dusty ride and find a throttle body full of grit?

Wish I had thought of this before I placed the order. Might not have done it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just make sure you get the hose clamp on the filter tight...there isn't enough weight on that filter for it to come off. If you're worried about the clamp not getting tight enough, buy a t-bolt clamp. T-bolt clamps will hold anything.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
It seemed like the act of tightening the clamp was forcing the filter off, as if it were cone-shaped or something.
Turned the screwdriver one turn, filter slipped off a little. Turned it again, filter slipped off some more.
Then unscrewed and removed it, wiped some of the grease off, put the filter back on, and was able to tighten it.
Maybe I just didn't have it lined up right or something, but it definitely made me go "hmm".

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sweet, UNI is what I am looking for. Polaris wants way to much $ for the stock ones. I guess I should have looked at the website to begin with.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 77 Posts