Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered some of the Polaris branded side bars, as I ride through a lot of tight spaces.

Has anyone installed or bought some of these Body Armor side bars yet?

If so what are your thoughts on them?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess the guys that bought the first batch of these are not members of the forum.

By the time I ordered (which was pretty quick after they became available), they were put on backorder.
They are supposed to be off backorder by the 18th of November.

I will post some pics once I finally get them in and installed and also speak on the quality of the body armor and ease of install etc.

I am looking forward to getting these :)
They should put an end to a lot of the plastic damage that happens with light impact to rollovers

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm glad to see these are becoming available. I was just ready to buy the material and start building my own design. I think I'll wait now and see how these look installed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if they will fit with fender flares that would be nice
I thought the same thing, after looking at pics of both I don't see how they would work together.
I will get some mounting pics up close when I install them to show exactly where they attach

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sure thing man :)

I just found out I should get these in next week so they are off backorder now

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On UPS truck for delivery today :)
Pics coming...

Reactions: Chfc2

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well.....

Polaris quality control and engineering excellence shines bright again....

First off the actual parts are very beefy, more like roll cage sized than bumper sized tubing.
It's a good solid secure fit.

HOWEVER...
The right rear bar is designed wrong and will in no way possibly fit without drastic grinding or another mounting solution.
I was so pissed about this today that I didnt get around to taking pics.
I literally spent hours trying all manner of things to make it work but it is impossible.

The problem is the top mounting offering hits exactly where the exhaust hanger is mounted to the header pipe.
This is in between the tail light wiring and the hanger.
The mount on the bar is a semi circle style with the bottom half installing to the upper mount with two allen head screws.
The top clears the hanger but the bottom does not.
Since the bottom part of the mounting hardware is drilled so close to the edge, grinding it to work will surely weaken the mount.

An option would be to buy a heavy bar, shape and drill it to use instead of the supplied mount.
The supplied mount is quite thick and hits the hanger.

All of this will make sense when I post the pictures.
I am planning on snapping a few tomorrow as I need them to send to the vendor I bought the parts from.

It's a real shame as these are very good quality otherwise

I will also post pics of the other corners so that you guys can see what they look like on the Ace.

I am confident that anyone who has bought these will NOT be able to install the rear right corner.
BUT I am going to find some way to make this work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats the fun part of it! :rofl2:

Btw BillyBlaze: which Ace do you have? The 900 is different to the others, is it possible that you have a fitting problem because of this?
I have the 570 non SP

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that really sucks .its a shame we have to keep modifying stuff
I agree, I bought these because I need them for where I ride, but am trying to stay away from Polaris branded parts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Billy, are these rock sliders or something else?
No these are a new Item from Polaris, they are called body armor.
They protect the side plastics, and follow the lines of the fenders.

I was planning on taking some pics today but with Thanksgiving and all I didn't get around to it but I will get them up tomorrow for sure.

More to come :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ok I was confused also when I first read this post about body armor... I thought you were just calling the Rock sliders another name... So I googled it and did find what I think you are referring to, I read the description and like the idea however I could not find a single picture of this product installed on a ace.. So I'm not 100 percent sure where they go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes that is what I bought, they go around the outside fenders of the Ace.
They just came available for the Ace November 18th.

I am headed outside in a few minutes to take the pics.
The bar on the left is the one I am having problems with.
The top mount forms a circle that goes around a bar that the header pipe is hung from.
Unfortunately the mount is exactly where the exhaust hanger is.
If Polaris had engineered the right rear bar to mount slightly towards the cabin it would work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK
Sorry it took so long, here are some pics of the side that is installed and some close of pics of how the parts mount and the is Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Automotive tire Off-roading Auto part Fuel line Metal Automotive engine part Pipe Pipe Auto part Fuel line Exhaust system Bumper Auto part Pipe Fuel line Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Automotive exterior sues with attaching the right rear part

Reactions: Sporty061200r
1 - 20 of 88 Posts