Polaris ACE Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding Saturday morning around my property line when i was going up a hill along the fence, when I was 3/4 up the steepest part of the hill i heard a pop! the Ace immediately did a 180 and rolled three times sideways and landed on its side! still running! I un-hooked the seat belt and got out and rolled it back upright. The left rear axle broke! It did quite a bit of plastic damage, bent brushguards, front and rear, damaged the hood, bed, fenders, basically every piece of plastic is broke and now the right rear wheel is leaning in, i noticed powdercoat popped off the A-arm on that side, so something is bent!..On the up side the seat belt and cage held up fine.The cage did not bend!.. Also one of the wheels is messed up bad. I was lucky not a single scratch on me!..... Luge

·
Registered
447 Posts
Luge, what an awful experience. I am certainly glad that you were not injured. Please keep us updated on the repairs. I have read that there are RZR upgrades for heavier axles. If you find out why the axle broke, let us know. I may pursue upgraded axles for the Ace when they become available. If this turns out to be a manufacturing defect, I wonder if Polaris will help with the repairs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Luge, what an awful experience. I am certainly glad that you were not injured. Please keep us updated on the repairs. I have read that there are RZR upgrades for heavier axles. If you find out why the axle broke, let us know. I may pursue upgraded axles for the Ace when they become available. If this turns out to be a manufacturing defect, I wonder if Polaris will help with the repairs.
Hey thanks Hayseed!, I think the cv broke, my understanding is the rear is the same as a rzr 570 which is the same as a 800.. So next week sometime i will get a estimate, I think it might be total! I will have to see what the estimate is...I am just glad it did not happen when i was on something more drastic! It could have been ugly!...when a axle snaps going up a incline, it gives the other side all the pressure and spins you around...the right rear wheel is laying in about a inch, the front is about the same.. I am not a alignment person, but the frame could be tweaked?..

·
Registered
89 Posts
That sounds like a defect in materials. It sounds like something that Polaris should fix under warranty. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Luge, I am considering larger wheels and tires with spacers. I have been concerned about the extra strain on wheel bearings and other parts. Do you mind sharing what kind of tires and wheels that you have on your Ace?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That really sux, man! Good thing you were not hurt!

I'd also like to know about any mods you've done to the wheels/tires/suspension, and if possible, a picture of the hill you were going up.
I just seriously put the ACE through its paces this weekend, and fortunately the worst I suffered was a cracked rocker panel from a small tree I hopped over.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ouch! As others have said, I too am glad you are well enough to report this! What a ride, 3X over... I am interested in hearing what they decide on this. So sorry!

·
Registered
13 Posts
very sorry to hear about the mishap but im glad you are ok, that is the biggest reason I purchase the ace because how save it is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks all for the concern!..Upon closer inspection, the cage is bent, My body is sore all over! I have been trying to find a dealer for the estimate, all seem to be backed up for weeks and prices vary from $150 to $70. As far as wheels and tires, I have the dealer installed option factory Polaris 26/11/14 rear 26/9/14 front Maxxis Bighorn's..no other suspension mods. I do not have any photos of the scene yet, but i will try later when i am more nimble on my feet... Also the rear end is the same as a Rzr 570 not the 800. I think the frame is bent, Its messed up pretty bad..I will post some photos when I can...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Take it easy and don't push yourself to hard.
We want to see pictures of the carnage and the scene, but not at the expense of your well-being.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take it easy and don't push yourself to hard.
We want to see pictures of the carnage and the scene, but not at the expense of your well-being.
LOL!! Carnage Junkies!..I used to be the same way when I was whitewater canoeing and kayaking years ago!...I blew out a rotator in my shoulder and ended all the whitewater fun!!Google Nolan Whitesell, the only man i personally know to run the Niagara falls gorge in a canoe that he built himself...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Any word on warranty?
.They are not even going to entertain the idea of a axle problem with the way my Ace looks after the rolls....They are going to say operator error!..Or abuse.. How can I prove otherwise?... I know what happened....But how can I prove it?......I was alone,...No witnesses.. In my opinion it was a cheap ass built CV joint made in China...Or Mexico!!! That caused the accident.... What happened to the good old days of something Quality being manufactured in the USA...?...Polaris please bring your MFG back to the USA!...

·
Registered
173 Posts
.They are not even going to entertain the idea of a axle problem with the way my Ace looks after the rolls....They are going to say operator error!..Or abuse.. How can I prove otherwise?... I know what happened....But how can I prove it?......I was alone,...No witnesses.. In my opinion it was a cheap ass built CV joint made in China...Or Mexico!!! That caused the accident.... What happened to the good old days of something Quality being manufactured in the USA...?...Polaris please bring your MFG back to the USA!...
If you know for sure after talking with the dealer and Polaris that they are not going to stand behind this please let us know! That's crazy and I am very happy you are here to tell the story.... The only good thing that has come out of this ordeal! This is a new design and I sure hope they stand behind it darn it especially because a lot of people have had some major steering,throttle cable, brakes, and now axle issues! That's major! I was going to buy the extended warranty but am re-thinking it after what you have been through and said! What's the point if they are not going to stand behind it, a waste of money in my opinion. Please keep us posted and I sure hope you are doing a ton better!! Take care!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about all the damage to you and your Ace! :cry:

Looking at the part numbers, the Ace uses the same rear axles as the rzr 570. I did a little search on the forums and I can't find any unusual problems with 570 axles. You may be the victim of an unfortunate failure. I didn't look at the warranty fine print, but I'm guessing, even if Polaris would cover the axle they probably wouldn't cover damage from the resulting rollover. I'm probably just adding insult to injury however, and I'm sorry for that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.