Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to chop the rear cage bars to level out the top of the cage? I have done a lot of searching but have not seen it attempted yet. I know it is commonly done on the RZR's but have not seen an Ace done yet.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There are numerous posts and pics of flat top ace cages on here. I hate the looks of that stupid looking hump that Polaris puts on the cage. I just can't justify spending the bucks on a flat top, so will have to live with what I have for now.

BTW Welcome to the asylum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are numerous posts and pics of flat top ace cages on here. I hate the looks of that stupid looking hump that Polaris puts on the cage. I just can't justify spending the bucks on a flat top, so will have to live with what I have for now.

BTW Welcome to the asylum.
I can not justify the expense of an after market cage either. I have spent too much already on my RZR! :nightmare: The factory cage would not look so bad if some of the rake was taken out of the rear. I know quite of few RZR guys that have cut a section out and sleeved it before welding it back together.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think the Ace stock cage looks goofy, but going thru thick brush and trees, it helps push the branches up and over the top. I don't have to get out and cut, push up or move to the side. Just slowly go thru the brush.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why did you change your first post?
I never changed my first post. It will say at the bottom the time and date if it was edited.

There is a guy on Facebook that did his. I don't know any details on it tho
Thanks BDK! That cage still has the rake in it. Kind of looks like they took some off of the front and rear. Not a bad idea. :smile:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all I shorten my stock cage 3". If you search roll cage you should find my post. I wanted to be able to keep my hard top and other factory assessories. I did have to modify the rear window tough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ace cage chop

Hi all I shorten my stock cage 3". If you search roll cage you should find my post. I wanted to be able to keep my hard top and other factory assessories. I did have to modify the rear window tough.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
image.jpeg
Chopped mine 2.75 inches. Took some bravery but it was worth it. Now I can reach out and easily lift low hanging branches over my roof while driving and the Ace lost it's cone head appearance. My niece is driving it in the pic and she is 5'8". I am 5'9" and I still have plenty of head room. And we wear helmets.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Chopped mine 4" lower. First tried simple chop & only took out 2" case ran into problems. Wasn't satisfied so repaired, took out entire lower bends & did wide cage mod instead. If all you want is simple cage chop, pics show where I removed sections, just above the lower bends. Best place to keep geometry as close to stock as possible. Leave sleeves/mounts loose until chopped cage is fitted. When straight/even, tighten mounts before fully welding sleeves/bars.
Stock roof will still fit though windshield/rear panel may need to be trimmed down for the shorter height. If sections removed higher than shown, you'll have a slight angle mid-way up bars from not lining up perfectly...may match the ACE bodywork?

After cut, you will need to slightly pull bars apart to line up with the lower bars that mount to frame. Mounts have just enough play to line up near perfect.
Polaris Sportsman Ace White Chopped Cage-1.jpg

Depending on how much chop you want, may need to remove rear crossbar & weld new one. I don't recommend more than 4" chop with this method in order to keep it fairly simple.
My next ACE will get same chop to use all factory accessories. Custom wide cages are too much hassle to find accessories that fit. Canada sucks in the aftermarket department & cross-border shipping to remote areas is ridiculous!
Polaris Sportsman Ace White Chopped Cage-2.jpg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Keep in mind, this isn't a case of simply chopping & welding back together...you may need to modify other stuff depending on how much chop you do. Keep cuts/measurements even & it's fairly simple with the right tools!
Also this does not change the center hump though it looks way better with the shorter chop once covered with the roof. Others may have easier methods though?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those are the spots I was thinking would be the easiest to remove... I really only want to remove a couple of inches to make it fit in my trailer easier... with the hard plastic roof i'm really tight getting in and out on the trailer ramp at certain angles... plus I do believe you are correct in saying it'll look a lot better with the shorter cage

1 - 17 of 17 Posts