Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in NW Pa. and all our hardwood trees have dropped their leaves. Today while riding from gas well to gas well (my job), the leaves that get caught into the engine compartment caught fire. I had flames:campfire_flames_md_ coming from both wheel wells and under the seat by the battery (and of course the gas tank). I found a stick and managed to pull the burning leaves out before any damage.:eek:k: Everyone should try to remember this can happen, and be prepared.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Where did it catch fire? Was it up in front of the motor by the exhaust pipe, or up by the muffler in the back, or under the transmission? My better half and I have both smelled burning leaves when we ride but have never found any smoke or burnt leaves.

I am thinking that the exhaust up by the motor would be the only place that would be hot enough to catch it on fire??

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
We live in NW Pa. and all our hardwood trees have dropped their leaves. Today while riding from gas well to gas well (my job), the leaves that get caught into the engine compartment caught fire. I had flames:campfire_flames_md_ coming from both wheel wells and under the seat by the battery (and of course the gas tank). I found a stick and managed to pull the burning leaves out before any damage.:eek:k: Everyone should try to remember this can happen, and be prepared.
Welcome to the forum!

Most ORVs with the engine in back have a risk of this. I've ridden behind RZRs and watched glowing embers fall from their exhaust headers (I assume that's where they are coming from) onto the trail.
Most of the time it's not dry enough and stuff doesn't build up enough to create an actual fire with flames and all, but it's always a possibility.

That's why some states require ORVs to carry a fire extinguisher (see my thread on this). Even in states that don't require it, it's still a good idea.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yep had it happen to me on my Ace while riding about a month ago. Dry leaves accumulated on the exhaust manifold and ignited into flames. I was able to pull off the trail and very thankful that I carry a fire extinguisher on board. I put the fire out right away. Minor wire casing melting but other wise nothing major. It happens as Scoundrel said it is a risk on these models with the engine in the rear.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I noticed the accumulation of leaves soon after I got my Ace in March of this year and posted of this danger. The design of the factory skid plate with all the holes allow oak leaves and pine straw to pass through the holes and accumulate on top of the skid plate. I have been thinking of getting a solid skid plate primarily to help with this fire hazard. It wold be helpful to me if someone that has the solid skid plates to comment if it helps with the debris accumulation on top of the skid plate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did it catch fire? Was it up in front of the motor by the exhaust pipe, or up by the muffler in the back, or under the transmission? My better half and I have both smelled burning leaves when we ride but have never found any smoke or burnt leaves.

I am thinking that the exhaust up by the motor would be the only place that would be hot enough to catch it on fire??

It appeared most the fire was in the engine compartment between the seat back and engine all the way into the battery compartment (seat got hot quick that's how I knew).

·
Registered
3 Posts
This was a problem with my commander too and was fixed with some metal screening to keep dry grass and leaves out. Not sure if this is possible on the ace (don't have one yet) but I will definitely look into it when I get one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts