Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never been a fan of anything Arctic Cat but wondering if anyone with an Ace has ridden or ridden with the 700 trail 50"? We ride trails and could really use a 2 seat rather than single. Not real fan of 570 rzr at this point (60" rzr is fine, but won't fit any better than my 1000xp)

Not looking for lovers or haters, but just honest opinions.

thanks in advance
Doug

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I got rid of my AC quad for obvious reasons ...... Have a good friend who bought a AC Trail Cat and has had nothing but problems. It has set in the dealers service more than he has ridden it. Seems AC brought it to market without properly doing all the required trials and have a serious engine mapping problem. His will be going along and all of a sudden accelerate to full throttle. They say they do NOT have a cure yet, so told him to NOT ride it till they decide what has to be done. NOPE, no way would I own or drive one toil AC gets their sh-- right.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Seems AC brought it to market without properly doing all the required trials and have a serious engine mapping problem. His will be going along and all of a sudden accelerate to full throttle. They say they do NOT have a cure yet, so told him to NOT ride it till they decide what has to be done.
Was this specifically the 50" Wildcat Trail XT, or some other AC model? That's some scary **** right there.

The only direct experience I've had with anything Arctic Cat is an old DVX 250 sport quad, and that is worlds away from a modern SxS so not even relevant.
But my understanding is that AC is super late to the market and has a lot of catching up to do.
Further, my understanding from reading others write about it is that in general, Arctic Cat stuff is less comfortable to ride than competing products from other vendors.

The thing to remember is that any long wheel base vehicle, 50" or not, is going to have trouble on narrow trails.
Would a two-seat ATV be a viable option for you?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
His is the 50" Wildcat Trail XT. You're correct on the harsh ride. I rode it and it is way harder on the body than my Rzr or the Ace. He also has a Rzr 900 S and is very disappointed in the AC and the piss poor customer service he has received. In fact, it is so bad that his selling dealer quit AC because of the treatment AC was giving his customers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Go check out the new Razor Trail's. I looked at some today and they are very nice. 50" wide and room for 2.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Never been a fan of anything Arctic Cat but wondering if anyone with an Ace has ridden or ridden with the 700 trail 50"? We ride trails and could really use a 2 seat rather than single. Not real fan of 570 rzr at this point (60" rzr is fine, but won't fit any better than my 1000xp)

thanks in advance
Doug
Back in September we made a three day trek from Thompson Springs Utah to the Wyoming border and back via the Baxter Pass in Colorado. We had a Teryx a 50 inch 700 Trail Cat and a 570 RZR. The Teryx broke a belt 120 miles into the trip and we had to call for another vehicle (another Teryx) which finished our 450 mile trip, and the Trail Cat, which was a loaner because my buddy's trail cat was in the shop for overheating, and the rzr 570 made the trip without incident. The day after we got back to Thompson Springs, we took a short desert trip and the trail cat overheated within 15 minutes of the start of our trip so we got it cooled down and back to camp and picked up an atv to finish the trip. The 570 RZR is a bulletproof UTV and rides better than the trail cat and got over 30 mpg with two 200 pound men in it. Both the Teryx and the trail cat could not go the initial 150 miles without refueling but the 570 RZR did. This is the main reason I bought a 570 ACE. They have had many problems with the 570 atv line but the RZR line seems pretty sound and since the ACE is more like a RZR than a sportsman I forsee none of the problems that the sportsman 570 has had, and results more along the RZR stats

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
They have had many problems with the 570 atv line but the RZR line seems pretty sound and since the ACE is more like a RZR than a sportsman I forsee none of the problems that the sportsman 570 has had, and results more along the RZR stats
Yeah, the 570 is a solid engine/transmission, they just had difficulties fitting it into an ATV chassis without burning stuff and causing other misc issues, but the 570 RZR has been great and so far the 570 ACE has has very few reported problems - warped airbox lid being the worst I've heard so far.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yeah, the 570 is a solid engine/transmission, they just had difficulties fitting it into an ATV chassis without burning stuff and causing other misc issues, but the 570 RZR has been great and so far the 570 ACE has has very few reported problems - warped airbox lid being the worst I've heard so far.
I agree Scoundrel. Polaris brought the 570 Sportsman to the market way too early. Extended testing would have weeded out most of the problems they have experienced, and as you said, just because the 570 is bulletproof in a rzr didn't make it bulletproof in an atv. Even at that there have been very few engine problems I've read about but mostly heat issues and minor things that should have been worked out before bringing the Sportsman 570 to market. Hopefully in the ACE the 570 will shine again. It's a great powerplant that I would trust doing another 500 mile trip with, at the drop of a hat

·
Registered
156 Posts
Perfect thread... I have a 2014 Wildcat Trail 700 and a 2008 Sport Rhino. I was one of the first to get a WC Trail and the engine had to be replaced due to a void in the head casting and using oil. I will say that I dropped it off and got it back 10 days later and it's been perfect for 700 miles. The Ace came out shortly afterwards and I looked at it and said that is exactly the configuration I have been waiting for for years. IMO the WC Kitty is really a great machine and it runs like a scalded dog but it is not the best machine for my particular needs.

I was out over the weekend and I still can't go everywhere my buddies with big bore quads go mainly because of the really long wheelbase and the cage design. What I like about the Ace is that it's narrower and shorter plus the rider is in the middle of the trail not getting hit with branches like in a side by side plus it fits in a 6 1/2' bed I believe plus there are many more accessories including a plow.

I have always shied away from Polaris after all of the problems with the RZR 800's but I see a lot of my buddies having good experience with their big newer Sportsmans. I also want a machine with EPS.

So my questions about the Ace 570 are

Reliability ?
Suspension and Ride and technical trail ability ?
Max tire diameter with standard offset rims and no lift ?
Plowing ability ?
Off camber and stability cornering at speed ?
Drivetrain smoothness ?
Relative power and speed to stay with big bore utility quads ?
Best price for a 570 EPS ?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Reliability ?
Plowing ability ?
Drivetrain smoothness ?
I have the 325, not the 570, but most of these questions pertain to both and I see all of the posts here, so I'll answer these. Others may feel free to also answer with their take on it.

Reliability?
There have been misc reported problems with both the 325 and 570. It's unavoidable with any product. But assuming dealer prep is done right and your machine has no mfg defects, they are a very reliable platform.
I have not seen any complaints about design problems with the 325 engine, and the 570 is well-proven in the RZR.

Suspension and ride and technical trail ability?
Suspension could use some improvement. It rides a little low, doesn't have huge amounts of travel, and therefore is a little bumpy. But technical trail ability is excellent. It can go most places ATVs can, and is able to take on some really tough terrain.

Max tire diameter with standard offset rims and no lift?
Each tire brand is a little different, but with all else being stock, I think it tops out about 27" before things start rubbing.

Plowing ability?
I assume you mean snow plowing? Multiple forum members have posted up pictures and data about their plowing setups and say it works great.

Some members have expressed that they feel it is too tippy and have modified it from stock to compensate, but most don't see that as an issue. I certainly don't. As with any machine if you turn too sharply at speed it's going to roll, but if you drive within its and your limits you'll be fine. I have ridden some trails behind ATVs, and they are leaning off the seat and pushing their foot against the bank, and I just drive on through.

Drivetrain smoothness ?
The 325 runs at pretty high RPM and that can chatter your teeth a bit, but the drivetrain seems pretty smooth. I rode a 570 SP for a few minutes at speed this weekend and it felt pretty smooth.

The only time this has been an issue for me with the 325 is long uphill grades on service roads, and even then not much of a problem. Of course sand dunes don't work out too well for the 325. The 570 will hold its own just fine in either situation.

The best reported prices so far have been base model demo units with 50 miles or so on them - about $6800 for the 570.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Perfect thread... I have a 2014 Wildcat Trail 700 and a 2008 Sport Rhino. I was one of the first to get a WC Trail and the engine had to be replaced due to a void in the head casting and using oil. I will say that I dropped it off and got it back 10 days later and it's been perfect for 700 miles. The Ace came out shortly afterwards and I looked at it and said that is exactly the configuration I have been waiting for for years. IMO the WC Kitty is really a great machine and it runs like a scalded dog but it is not the best machine for my particular needs.

I was out over the weekend and I still can't go everywhere my buddies with big bore quads go mainly because of the really long wheelbase and the cage design. What I like about the Ace is that it's narrower and shorter plus the rider is in the middle of the trail not getting hit with branches like in a side by side plus it fits in a 6 1/2' bed I believe plus there are many more accessories including a plow.

I have always shied away from Polaris after all of the problems with the RZR 800's but I see a lot of my buddies having good experience with their big newer Sportsmans. I also want a machine with EPS.

Reliability ?
Plowing ability ?
Drivetrain smoothness ?
Scoundrel answered most of your questions, and my post about my trip in the 570 RZR will answer the reliability questions of the 570 ACE since both the RZR 570 and ACE 570 share the same engine and tranny and in the same configuration, and are a proven combo. I really like my 570, and it does everything I ask of it. If you get one the only bad trait it has is it's hard to stop smiling after riding one. It will fit in a 6.5 foot bed but if you have the front brushguard on it, it will ride way back on the tailgate, but will still fit. Be careful loading because it is a heavy machine and a fall from truck bed height would not be fun. I personally use a 5X8 utility trailer

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
If the ACE has a weak point, it's the front lower A-arms.
Not much ground clearance, and they're fairly weak.
I had to re-adjust my toe-in about 6 times after smacking rocks with the A-arms.
Finally I got a set of Factory UTV A-arms guards, and they've been fine since then.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Whatthe is the seat height compared to a quad or a base RZR ?
Quite a bit lower than an atv, and I imagine that its close to a 570 RZR. You sit low in the chassis and very comfortably, and that makes the ACE very nimble with a low center of gravity, but ease of entry and exit is outstanding. I suggest that you just go sit in one and then that will answer your question for you, plus while your there you can measure the height difference between the ACE RZR and an atv of your choice. Talking about them and actually touching one is a whole different ball game.

Reactions: Scoundrel

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

thanks in advance
Doug
After making a 450 mile trip in a 570 RZR I really cant understand your dislike of them. For what they are they are a great little machine on a proven engine tranny platform, and get great gas mileage. The 570 RZR was the main reason I went with the 570 ACE That's as honest an answer that I could give you. I love the 50 inch RZR and have ridden the wide ones also but prefer the narrow track of the 570 RZR since it will let you go places the 60 inchers cant. Yes I have ridden the AC 700 trail 50. There was one on our long trip and it did well until after we got back and it overheated the next day. It didn't get as good of mileage as the 570 by a long shot but made the long trip without incident

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If the ACE has a weak point, it's the front lower A-arms.
Not much ground clearance, and they're fairly weak.
I had to re-adjust my toe-in about 6 times after smacking rocks with the A-arms.
Finally I got a set of Factory UTV A-arms guards, and they've been fine since then.
Remember though Scoundrel that you by your own admission are pretty hard on your ACE compared to most. Yes the A arms are a concern but for the average trail rider that shys away from the technical stuff they wont be much of a problem.

Reactions: Scoundrel

·
Registered
156 Posts
Remember though Scoundrel that you by your own admission are pretty hard on your ACE compared to most. Yes the A arms are a concern but for the average trail rider that shys away from the technical stuff they wont be much of a problem.

I don't tend to shy away from much so do A Arm guards eliminate the problem ? Which are best ?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I don't tend to shy away from much so do A Arm guards eliminate the problem ? Which are best ?
The A-arms guards spread the impact out, so instead of a rock smacking a single point on the A-arm and bending it there, the whole length of the A-arm takes the impact and does not bend.
Also, the UHMW guard allows the A-arm to then slide off of the rock instead of being stuck there, metal on stone.

Polaris makes UHMW A-arm guards, but I feel that they are overpriced and don't trust them to be great quality. I have not seen them in person though.
Factory UTV makes a set that is very high quality, and costs less than the Polaris ones.
They are also a great company to work with, excellent customer service. They know where their paychecks come from.

http://www.aceforums.net/forum/46-f...tv-polaris-sportsman-ace-uhmw-arm-guards.html

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The A-arms guards spread the impact out, so instead of a rock smacking a single point on the A-arm and bending it there, the whole length of the A-arm takes the impact and does not bend.
Also, the UHMW guard allows the A-arm to then slide off of the rock instead of being stuck there, metal on stone.

Polaris makes UHMW A-arm guards, but I feel that they are overpriced and don't trust them to be great quality. I have not seen them in person though.
Factory UTV makes a set that is very high quality, and costs less than the Polaris ones.
They are also a great company to work with, excellent customer service. They know where their paychecks come from.

http://www.aceforums.net/forum/46-f...tv-polaris-sportsman-ace-uhmw-arm-guards.html
Is the 219.00 price for both front and rear guards or just front

1 - 20 of 22 Posts