Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went on a ride a couple of weeks ago and it was in about 12-14 inches of snow. About 6 razr's and 4 wheelers were ahead of me making a trail through the snow. I recently had bigger tires put on and I gained about 2 inches on each side, however, my Ace wasn't as wide as the razr's and as high as the 4 wheelers...I could feel it pushing snow underneath. Here's what happened: After about an hour of riding, the Ace lost power and shut off shortly after. I would not restart, but turned over fine. We tore it apart thinking it wasn't getting gas, that was not the case. After fiddling with it, we tried to start and it started right up. About 15 minutes later, did the same thing. I think I had it figured out...at this point I had not been watching the temperature gauge but could feel it bogging when I would hit patches of high snow. So I thought it was getting hot and shutting down. I pulled it to the side and left it set while we finished the ride, came back and it started right up. I stayed last and drove it in low and watched the temp gauge, it didnt' take long for it to get above 200 degrees. I would just stop and let it cool when it did and then take off a little while later and it never shut off on me again. I know you're going to say check the fluids and I did, haven't checked the antifreeze..if it in fact has antifreeze, I've yet to find out. But does the ace have a safety mechanism that shuts is down when it starts getting too hot and has anyone else experienced the same thing?? Oh, I need to add, my fan was working fine, I just wonder if the amount of power it was taking to get my ace through that snow was too much to get it cooled fast enough.

Mindy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not too sure How to help but have checked your rad to see if it's blocked? Either with snow or dirt from a previous ride? I've rode in really deep snow and never had mine bog or overheat! I'm not too sure about the safety mechanism but when the engine overheats it will shutdown!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
On mine, the temp is set at 220° for shut down and it works fine. Mine will restart at 219° and the fan will continue cooling back to the normal 190° to 205° operating range. My complaint is that the fan shuts off with the ignition switch and does NOT continue to cool when you shut down. That is NOT good here in the AZ desert, when the ambient temperature is in the high 90° or low 100°. Also, there is a low oil pressure shut down switch, so it can be either one.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Yes, it does use antifreeze.

If you pull the front fascia off, you can get a really good look at the entire radiator easily. Even just packed mud in the corners will be enough to reduce its efficiency enough to overheat.
What you can also do is start it cold, and idle it with the front fascia off. Put your hand on various parts of the radiator (or use an IR no-contact thermometer if you have one - they are cheap) to check whether your radiator is warming up evenly. If your radiator has a cold spot, the antifreeze is not flowing evenly inside it. You may have an air bubble that is stopping the system from flowing properly.

I worked my ACE pretty dang hard, with about 350 lbs of gear and driver on it, climbing from 6,500 feet to 10,500 feet in Utah, and did not overheat. So I believe the cooling system on your ACE is definitely having an issue.

Does the temperature warning light on the instrument cluster light up just before it shuts down?
Idling it for a long time without moving heats up a machine pretty good, because no air is flowing through the radiator.
Normally, the fan is enough to compensate for that, but if yours is not working properly, it may overheat standing still.

Make sure you take steps to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Do this test outside, or with a fan circulating fresh air.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts