Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 ACE Single seat symptoms:
No activity at switch turn to START (with brake depressed)
Attempts to jump fails
Replace battery (from sealed)
No activity at switch turn to START
With JUMPER CABLES connected, brake depressed, STARTS
While jumper cables connected, engine idles and revs
Remove jumper cables, engine dies (battery intact/charged)
Question: alternator or Voltage Regulator or Stat?
(Looks like the VR Search results for query: voltage regulator

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like the VR may be cooked? I sourced an after market one from Canada a while back as back up before my one played up - all good so far. Haven't heard of the alternator playing up though?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you can start and run it with jumpers to a different battery - it appears your battery is dead. The question is why. The voltage regulator literally burn out because of the mounting location. A friend had two 2015's burn them up. I moved mine to in front of the left rear tire. I have posted pictures on the forum before. Just re-route the cable and you are good to go. You will need to cut a steel piece to mount the regulator on and weld it to the frame. Very simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can start and run it with jumpers to a different battery - it appears your battery is dead. The question is why. The voltage regulator literally burn out because of the mounting location.
Earlier scenarios I tried
1. early on was jump on posts (with later discovered dead battery) - FAIL;
2. pull cables OFF the battery, CONNECTING ONLY LOOSE CABLES, attempted START - FAIL:
Only while battery is cabled, in place, jumpers connected to posts - SUCCESS

NOTE: I surmise the last (young) rider did not turn the key completely to OFF thereby leaving open the circuit?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The voltage regulator is behind a molded plastic cover on the left side close to the battery. It fills with mud and dirt and burns up.

As per the starting problem. If you have a really good connection with quality jumpers and no battery in the rig connected, it should still start. It is simply 13 volts and the starter does not care where it gets it. The ACE starter seems under powered to me and is sluggish in turning over the motor. I even installed an expensive larger 30 AH battery in mine with no change. My Rzr is very different. It turns the motor over much faster.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got my friend two voltage regulators off eBay. That was around 2 years ago. You might also check Amazon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It sounds like your voltage regulator has died its pretty common as the factory placed them just in front of the rear wheel and the cooling fins catch mud etc from the tire. It clogs up over heats and fries. That being said yours may be ok and its just simply a dead battery, I have the same year Ace as you and the original battery is small way too small for what it needs to do and if you add any extras like lights and a winch it compounds the problem.. You will notice the battery tray is much bigger than the battery and it can be upgraded to a larger size easily..I still have the original voltage regulator in the original spot just clean the heatsink fins with a toothbrush after it gets used and have put a plastic deflector piece near it for protection. I have how ever replaced a few batteries along the way. . If in the middle of all of this you still cant work it out or it will start then wont get someone to check the brake lights are coming on mine had a intermittently faulty brake inhibitor switch early on which caused a bit of grief before it was replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts